General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #1  
Operator265

Default ITT Tech

I have been considering changing fields and getting some more education. I also have to get back to working for a living while I do it. I've been looking into ITT Tech and was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge about this school or any like it and what you think about this type of education, especially the likelihood of gaining employment while taking classes and after graduation.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I looked into ITT Tech a while back. I think it depends on what you're trying to go for, I was able to get the same degree from a school with a good reputation for 1/3 of the cost. I'm finishing up a BS in Accounting.

I have a job now, while I go to school, but called several accounting/tax/payroll firms and asked if they had any reservations hiring out of my school, they all said it was a good program.

The best thing I found with ITT was they offer employment services, and have a large pool of companies that work with them. However, that wasn't worth an extra $40k for me.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think it does depend on what you are looking to do. If I was going to go there, I'd ask if you could speak with a few former graduates.

I work in IT and in my company, ITT tech and similar schools seem ok for some of the grunt jobs but if it is the school for your highest level of education, you seem to be stuck. I had a coworker who actually left our company because he felt he couldn't advance in the company and he was right.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #4  
sct
Shy chick

S/C/G: sw167/cw145

Height: 5'-10"

I graduated from ITT a little over 10 years ago. I got my associates degree in computer aided drafting/design. I got a good job out of it, but the quality of education was definitely not worth the money I paid.
sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #5  
Operator265

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I just found out it is $41,000 for an Associates. Holy Moly!!! Community College here I come. The guy I'm seeing heard that and about fell out of his chair.

Last edited by Operator265; 03-03-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
..... The guy I'm seeing heard that and about fell out of his chair.
At your age I am sure it was a wheelchair.....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #7  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
At your age I am sure it was a wheelchair.....
Na, I got me a young'un. He's only 39. Doesn't qualify me for "cougar" status. But, dayum, he is freakin' hawt!!! Although, he does have a little more gray hair than I do.

Oh, and BTW, he's British too. I just love that sweet little accent.

Last edited by Operator265; 03-04-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I looked into ITT Tech. But there isn't a school for me to go to here. I want to use my hubby's GI Bill..but just cant find a school to go to.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 03-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
I looked into ITT Tech. But there isn't a school for me to go to here. I want to use my hubby's GI Bill..but just cant find a school to go to.
I believe you are in or near Annapolis? Have you looked at Anne Arundel community college or University of Maryland University college? Both of those seem to be in/near Annapolis.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #10  
Operator265

I would stick with the community colleges and Unis. This was my last thought on this type of situation, but, over the last year I've looked into several and it just seems like most of them are either scams or, like Nelie said earlier, only good for getting you in, then you're stuck as a grunt. Whatever you do, don't go for one of those "Medical Transcription" type courses. They don't pay squat and there aren't many jobs anyways. Outsourcing doncha know. Check out Indeed.com when trying to decide on a field of study. Lots of real life people telling it like it really is.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #11  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I believe you are in or near Annapolis? Have you looked at Anne Arundel community college or University of Maryland University college? Both of those seem to be in/near Annapolis.
I've looked at AACC for floral design. I'm just a little unsure about it.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote