General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Default What am I doing?

I know I'm an emotional eater and I gained all this weight when I was down due to my son's medical conditions. Last year I was able to move on and I was doing fairly well until today that we went to the Urologist and we didn't hear what we were hoping for. Last year he was diagnosed with right kidney hydronephrosis (additional to being born with TOF and undergo open heart surgery at 3m) and congenital scoliosis. He was treated with a low dosis of antibiotic with the hope that the hydronephrosis (due to backflow of urine) would correct itself. Today was the follow up visit after a year and not only he still has the reflux in his right kidney, the left is backing up now as well. They need to perform a procedure, a simple one, but I'm afraid of another anesthesia, it would be the fourth one.

So here I am mindlessly eating, so far after we got out of the hospital:

*Chicken sandwich at Wendy's with fries, nuggets and soda. (And I don't even eat fast food).
*We went next door to "Carrot Top" and got me a Red Velvet cake and a Tiramisu.
*Got home and ate the Red Velvet, two hours later I reheated pasta with Italian sausage from yesterday and ate it.
*I'm typing and thinking about the Tiramisu that is in the fridge.

I know I can't go back to the old ways, health-wise I can't and my son needs me. But I just feel so sad right now...

Sorry if it took long, I just needed to type. Thanks for reading.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #2  
Be happy.

I'm sorry about the bad news at the doctor. I just prayed for your son, and for wisdom and peace for you.

You're right, you do need to stay healthy for your son. Today was an awful day all around for you, but tomorrow is another day. Have you got a good support system? Family and/or friends to help you get through this scary time?

I turn to food when I'm stressed, too, though it's never helped yet. I've started coming to 3FC or phoning a friend or family member to distract me and help me get my head straight when I feel like turning to food for comfort. I don't usually tell them about my struggle, but talking to someone who cares about me is comforting and a lot healthier than over eating.

Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #3  
No description available.

I'm sorry.....hugs and prayers for you and your son. I think that awareness of emotional eating is so important....that doesn't mean you'll step away from the food necessarily, maybe not this time, but maybe next time.

In the spring, my son was having some health problems and I found myself standing in front of the open fridge looking for something, anything to eat. And I told myself (outloud), "YOu are doing this because you are stressed out and there is no reason to do this and it won't help." So, I got to the point where I was talking to myself. So if you haven't started talking to yourself yet, you're doing better than I did!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #4  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

to you. I know how you feel, as i have been on the emotional-eating roller coaster for the last couple weeks. I'm actually liking midwife's response of talking to herself. Might be time for me to tell myself out loud that I really don't need the bad foods to cope with what's going on-neither do you. Might make a sign to that effect for the front of the fridge and snack cabinet. Somehow it seems that it would be harder to indulge in the mindless eating if I had to get past a sign spelling it all out for me.

I'm sorry for your struggles and will be praying for your son and your family. Keep coming to 3fc for support when you get those 'must eat now' urges. I will be too!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Thank you everyone You have no idea what words can do sometimes.

The good news is that yesterday was his follow up with his Cardiologist and she couldn't be happier, his heart is in excellent shape and he is growing big and strong. That is the most important, it really made me feel much better.

He is doing so great that she won't see him until a year. I know he would overcome the kidney problem and that's why he needs me strong and focus. We are just waiting for his kidney deflux procedure to be schedule, hopefully it is soon and that chapter would be closed forever.

Next stop: Follow up for his Scoliosis in February.

Thanks for all the prayers.

Last edited by Renacer; 01-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote