General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Ahhhh! I think he might propose soon!

My boyfriend is a Field Artillery officer in the Army. He's been in Iraq for four months now, and he comes home in May for two weeks and we're going to Wyoming so he can meet my dad and see where I grew up. I've met his whole family just about, parents, brothers, uncles, cousins. We've been together for about a year now, almost exactly.

Well we're both old souls, you could say, we were both more interested in getting settled with careers and family than spending our 20's partying and clubbing. Because of that, it was just about 6 months into our relationship when we started talking about our future together. This deployment has stunk, but it's not so bad. I don't want to say it's "easy," because I miss him constantly, but at the same time I've been able to get through it with a smile on my face because I love him so much.

Welllll, over the last two months he has: 1) asked me if I prefer yellow gold or white gold 2) asked me my ring size 3) explicitly said he has looked at engagement rings 4) the other day he said that him and his buddy were discussing emerald cut versus princess cut and asked "which one is better," I told him which I prefer, lol. Today he was saying how he now has all his credit card debts and student loans paid off, and he has one more big purchase to make and the rest is going in savings. What kind of big purchase could he make on a little patrol base in Iraq? Hmmm....lol.

Also today, we were talking about big wedding versus small wedding, flowers for a wedding, picking a date, etc. As far as I know, guys that aren't planning on something don't initiate those kinds of conversations. And of course we always talk about our plans. I'll be moving to Oklahoma with him while he is in a school for captains, then we'll be stationed somewhere and I'll get a 2-year degree using his GI bill money (I will have graduated a 4-year degree, but I want to get another one...long story).

So, I'm wondering and really really really hoping that he might pop the question while he's home on leave. But I don't want to get my hopes up TOO high.

Anyways, sorry this was long. I'm just so excited!!!
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Wow...yeah I'd say it's coming for sure! That's SO exciting! It sounds like you guys have weathered his deployment well and that some exciting stuff is just around the corner! And how refreshing...a guy that doesn't break out in hives when discussing marriage!

Yay!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #3  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

normally i would say"dont get your hopes up", but this sounds like a sure thing...one word of advice,if possible stay away from a huge wedding and save the money...let us know!!!
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice is take things on your own time but it is good not to be totally surprised if it happens.

I've had boyfriends where we discussed weddings, rings, etc but didn't get to the point of actual proposals/wedding/etc. (I will also say that I was kind of anti marriage before my husband) I remember distinctly having an argument with an ex boyfriend because I thought diamonds were stupid, he thought things that looked like diamonds (lab created) were necessary for engagement rings.

With my husband, we basically mostly assumed we'd just be together and we talked about getting married and I don't know exactly how it happened but we started just moving in that direction. We both did some research before hand but it was more like 'hey what do you want to do today? want to go buy our wedding rings?' so then we went to a jewelry store and ordered them. Although he actually did surprise me by picking up the rings early and proposing and then 4 months later we had a small wedding.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #5  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Thanks guys!

ThicknPretty, I know, he's one of a kind. He's ALWAYS the first one to bring up marriage, kids, a wedding, and all future plans. I used to bite my tongue on it because I didn't want to sound too forward and freak him out, but now it's just fact of life to talk about. He even asks me things like if I know what kind of flowers and dress I want, haha.

David, we'll DEFINITELY be doing a small wedding. Family and just a few close friends and nothing extravagent. He's an officer so he's set on doing the arch of swords and everything, but we'll definitely be budgeting. I do not see the point in tossing money away on a party.

Nelie, I have also had longterm relationships where we've discussed marriage, but it was never as official as this. It's not just playful daydreaming, we have both changed a few of our plans to come up with a plan together, and that plan has already commenced, lol. It's really already understood that we'll get married, we know it, our friends know it, our families know it, we just need to go through the motions, haha.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Congratulations, from one Army Officer's wife to a soon-to-be Army Officer's wife! It's not a bad life at all
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #7  

Sounds very similar to my boyfriend and I.
*yay* How exciting! Im jumping for joy for you
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/159/115

Height: 5'4"

Oooh! How exciting! Congratulations! Normally I wouldn't say that before it's happened, but this definitely sounds like a sure thing. Hehe.
sarahlynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #9  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

That is soooo exciting!!!! Before my hubby proposed, he had asked me those kinds of questions too. But it was when he was still in boot camp, and when he came home, he flipped out about getting married so it didnt happen for 2 months, lol. He said he did it to throw me off..but whatever, he got scared, lol. I really hope yours will ask!! Being a military wife is a hard life, but it's totally worth it!!!

(When you do get engaged..read, Chicken Soup for the Military Wive's Soul. It's very touching..and my fave out of the series!!)
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote