General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 156/156/120

Height: 5'4"

She does look like Tracey Gold.
kringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #17  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

I'm starting the Little Debbie Diet, just eat 1200 calories of swiss cake rolls a day and I'm guessing I'd lose weight. Unfortunatly desperate people will try just about anything and companies will use it for montary gain
srr728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

True, its like the "diet coke" craze. People were under the impression that they could eat whatever they wanted and still lose weight because they had a diet coke with it.
I remember working for Burger King and a over weight woman came to order: 3 Whoppers, a large fry, and a Large Diet Coke.
I sat there wondering, with all those calories how was that diet coke going to help?
I'm sure some will do the same with the TB Fresco menu. Order multiple items with a diet coke and think they will lose weight. Only to realize that they put on more weight and blame the restaurant for their weight gain.
Not sure how things are now but I remember when my doctor told me I had to lose weight, they never gave me any guide lines. Just "You need to lose weight." I had no idea what to do but felt hopeless and thinking my life would end because my Cholesterol was so high.
I worked for a Medical Group, one of the doctors had a weight loss program she would put her over weight patients on. One of her assistants had tried the program once and said the food was terrible. And you were practically starving the first couple weeks BUT she did lose 10 lbs. She ended up gaining all the weight back as well as everyone else that went on that program after they stopped it.
Doctors need to be more educated on diets if they're going to tell people to go on a diet. Some people have no ida what to do and will go for the thing that's most readily available that "Promise" results.....pills.
I feel so badly for these people that don't have any direction.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #19  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcnuldu View Post
I think there was another thread on this, but although I think it's a nice idea to have healthy options, most of them were there already. You can't just throw pico de gallo on a taco and call it healthy. When I eat there I eat a couple of soft tacos and they're 210 calories each.
ok, ok, I see what you are all saying here, but TB DOESN'T just put pico on a taco and call it healthy. All the Fresco items have the fatty cheese and sour cream removed and have the pico instead. It actually is a much smarter choice.

I guess what people should take from all these "fast food diet" things is this:

-It is possible to make smarter choices at the drive thru, so if you insist on going, try to be as informed as possible.
-At least fast food restaurants are picking up on the 'healthy' trend, and that is a step in the right direction for our indulgent, overweight nation.

I mean, of course, nobody should ever eat fast food 5 days a week, but I know for me, it just isn't realistic for me to say, "I'm never going to eat fast food again" because, well, I enjoy it once in a while, so to combat that, I have tried to make the very smartest choices when I go.

Here are some examples:

-At Subway, I always get the veggie sub and oil and vinegar as my dressing so that I can have some cheese on my sandwich.
-At Taco Bell, I always get the Fresco bean burrito and then indulge in some cinnamon twists.
-At Long John Silvers and Captain D's, they have lower calorie baked fish options which are actually DELICIOUS.
-Instead of getting fries, I ALWAYS get a side salad with lite italian dressing as a side order.
-I never get soda.

Since I started my weight-loss journey as a student, I really needed to learn to make smart choices when I eat out. I'm not perfect, but I've managed to lose 50 lbs so far and fast food and dining out has not been completely ruled out, so I must be doing something right.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

Hey I know it can be done. The first time I lost weight I was working at McDonalds and ate there once a day about 5 days a week. I lost over 35 lbs. I'd have their grilled chicken salads, sometimes a hamburger and a salad, the apple and walnut salad (minus the pecans) alongside a grilled chicken breast, and vary occasionally I'd eat a small hamburger and fries.

I personally, don't like Pico de Gallo, and can't eat their Sour Cream, so I never get those anyways.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #21  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcnuldu View Post
Hey I know it can be done. The first time I lost weight I was working at McDonalds and ate there once a day about 5 days a week. I lost over 35 lbs. I'd have their grilled chicken salads, sometimes a hamburger and a salad, the apple and walnut salad (minus the pecans) alongside a grilled chicken breast, and vary occasionally I'd eat a small hamburger and fries.

I personally, don't like Pico de Gallo, and can't eat their Sour Cream, so I never get those anyways.
I LOVE T bell's pico de gallo, so it works out well for me. Seriously, I could eat that stuff with a spoon.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 315/309.5/140

I think the problem with it, is some of their menu items are pretty good. But then you've got cheese slathered deep fried shells. That's what people will eat.
juicyjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #23  

I love their fresco crunchy tacos, they remind me of chips and salsa except they add meat and lettuce to the mix. Many times I'll be happy just getting a couple of the fresco crunchy tacos. Only 300 calories.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4life View Post
I remember working for Burger King and a over weight woman came to order: 3 Whoppers, a large fry, and a Large Diet Coke.
I sat there wondering, with all those calories how was that diet coke going to help?
Assumptions.

The fact is, once you're used to Diet Coke, regular Coke tastes gross.

When I was eating large quantities of crap, I didn't care about the calories. I was worried that people were thinking just what you were thinking (and apparently I was right). But you couldn't have paid me to drink regular Coke. The whole point was to eat everything I craved, and Diet Coke is what tasted good to me. Regular Coke, to me, was just yucky.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 315/309.5/140

Quote:
I love their fresco crunchy tacos, they remind me of chips and salsa except they add meat and lettuce to the mix. Many times I'll be happy just getting a couple of the fresco crunchy tacos. Only 300 calories.
I had two of their soft shelled chicken off the menu yesterday. Was so good.
juicyjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Assumptions.

The fact is, once you're used to Diet Coke, regular Coke tastes gross.

When I was eating large quantities of crap, I didn't care about the calories. I was worried that people were thinking just what you were thinking (and apparently I was right). But you couldn't have paid me to drink regular Coke. The whole point was to eat everything I craved, and Diet Coke is what tasted good to me. Regular Coke, to me, was just yucky.
Nah, I was told back then that I was getting fat because I was drinking regular coke instead of diet by many friends through the years.....never mind all the food on my plate. I hated diet anything back then. I was able to get used to it a few months back but after all the reading I did, now I see it as some chemical drink. I prefer ice tea or water with no sweetener now. JMO
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #27  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I still think its a load of malarchy. When your eating a reduced calorie diet your nutrition counts big time. Your trying to cram your intake of macronutrients into a smaller intake. Telling people to come on down and eat your processed corn and flour tacos shells, dregs of the industry meat products loaded with sodium to make them taste real, and saturated fats and HFCS, and calling it a healthy choice is whats wrong with our society these days to begin with. No wonder we have 150 lbs kids in the 3rd grade, and hypertension in 6 year olds. Who cares if they hold the cheese and use a little salsa instead, your still putting garbage into your body, pretending its health food and then later, and you know this will happen eventually, someone is going to have a hissy fit of monumental proportions because they didn't lose weight.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Nah, I was told back then that I was getting fat because I was drinking regular coke instead of diet by many friends through the years.....never mind all the food on my plate. I hated diet anything back then. I was able to get used to it a few months back but after all the reading I did, now I see it as some chemical drink. I prefer ice tea or water with no sweetener now. JMO
You missed my point. You can't assume that woman was "under the impression that they could eat whatever they wanted and still lose weight because they had a diet coke with it." I'm sure some are, and *many* aren't.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
You missed my point. You can't assume that woman was "under the impression that they could eat whatever they wanted and still lose weight because they had a diet coke with it." I'm sure some are, and *many* aren't.
I was gonna comment on it, too, but wasn't sure if it was too off-topic. I've been that person eating a big unhealthy meal with a diet coke many, many times - but it had nothing to do with trying to lose weight, I just like diet coke more than almost all regular sodas (and I have since 7th grade).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #30  

My point wasn't that anyone who drinks diet coke is trying to lose weight. I know there are many out there who drink diet coke because they like it...plain and simple, doesn't matter what size you are. My opinion at the time is based on what I was told by other and plus a doctor going on the Today show a few years back telling people that drinking diet coke was not going to help in weight loss but merely cutting down on portions was the best option. So obviously there were some out there that had that mind set if she had to go on national television to make that point.
My point is that there are people who will take a weight loss product and run with it. Just like my mom telling me to drink a slimfast (in my teens) to lose weight, again never mind changing my eating habit. I'm sure you're going to say that some drink slimfast because they like it.....that's just fine.
I'm not talking about your group per say. Of course you're an exception. There were others out there during that time that did have that mind set when they should've focused on their portions. Whether they drank diet coke or not.
So again to clarify. drinking diet coke doesn't mean anything regardless of weight or size.