General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #1  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Default The Taco Bell Diet...omg...*rolls eyes*

There should be laws about what can be hawked as a diet plan. Has anyone watched the commercials for the Taco Bell diet? I just read an article on CNN about it also:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/05...ef=igoogle_cnn

I reiterate...there should be laws...lol!

Thoughts? Opinions?
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Omg I know! Just wait...someone will go on a tangent or sue because they didn't lose weight stuffing their face with beef wrapped in flour tortillas...lol.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I think it's pretty funny, even if they're not intending it to be. I immediately thought of those Subway commercials with Jared... I always thought those were silly, too.

Even if there were laws, the Taco Bell commercials all say "This is not a weight loss program" so I'm sure their butts would be covered.

I've tried to order Fresco items at Taco Bell before but I can't bring myself to do it, lol. On the rare occasion I find myself there, I want the real thing.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I think there was another thread on this, but although I think it's a nice idea to have healthy options, most of them were there already. You can't just throw pico de gallo on a taco and call it healthy. When I eat there I eat a couple of soft tacos and they're 210 calories each.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #5  
The Devil's in the Donuts

S/C/G: 267/~see ticker~/145 & fit

Height: 5'6"

I know it might seem ridiculous...at first. However, what they are saying is dont rule out TB if you are trying to lose weight...include us instead.

When I am watching my weight and staying away from fast food they are one of the few places I will still go to eat. They have one of the best nutritional websites that allows you to customize their food and know exactly whats in it, great for calculating WW points! When my girls who aren't dieting crave Mexican, I beg them to go there because I can actually use the Fresco menu and customize some pretty good stuff. They will substitute or exclude anything you want. They make me bean tacos with no cheese, Fresco style with extra onions often enough that it doesnt even phase them anymore.

I dont work for them or anything...just giving them props I think they deserve for trying to make their food more health conscious.

I dont agree that what they are advertising can be called a "diet" but seriously that word has been basterdized to the point of being useless anyhow so I dont really mind too much.
meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #6  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I understand companies trying to get at the 'weight conscious' customer base (aka most of the population), but to market "The Drive-Thru Diet" seems tacky and slightly misleading to those that aren't so health conscious (or look-up the nutritional information). I pasted below the calorie info. from the taco bell website...it's interesting.

Quote:
Fresco Crunchy Taco - 150 calories
Fresco Soft Taco - Beef - 180 calories
Fresco Burrito Supreme (Chicken) - 340 calories
Fresco Burrito Supreme (Steak) - 330 calories
Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco - 170 calories
Fresco Grilled Steak Soft Taco - 160 calories
Fresco Bean Burrito - 340 calories

Last edited by Gracie789; 01-06-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #7  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I don't think it's all that bad. My hubby loves taco bell..so for him getting anything off that menu would be okay for me. Better than the other stuff he normally buys from there. I can't eat from Taco Bell because it makes me hella sick. Maybe they should just call it something either other than "The Drive-Thru Diet" Like eating healthy at taco bell. Or something else, lol.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I haven't seen the ads, but it seems to me anything that can nudge folks into making healthier choices is all for the good. When I was on WW 10 years ago, I started improving my eating simply by eating the lower point Fast Food choices, long before I got to the point of rarely eating Fast Food
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I like their Fresco menu. When we were vacationing in CO, which was work related for dh. We had no other option but fast food. It was in the beginning of my weight loss journey last year. We mainly went to Taco Bell because of the Fresco menu. I would get either:
2 fresco crunchy tacos
or
1 fresco crunchy taco and 1 fresco chicken burrito.
Breakfast we ate at the hotel but lunch and dinner were at Taco Bell. I also walked on the hotel treadmill 30 minutes every other day. At the end of our vacation, I came home and weighed myself and found that I lost 5 lbs.
Its all on the choices you make and as always eating in moderation. Obviously no one can go in and order 10 tacos everyday and expect to lose weight just because they say "Fresco style." LOL
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad that a lot of the fast food places are offering lower calorie options though. When I have a hungry toddler in the car and nothing at home that doesn't take an hour to cook, fast food is a lifesaver, so the low cal options are better for me.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #11  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

It seems that Fast Food Packs More Calories Than Nutrition Labels Suggest.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

O M G I saw this commercial & I think it's a bit ridiculous that a FF place would use this for an advertising scheme. I thought they're "music video" ads were pretty good! I get that it's the new year and that's what will probably attract the most customers, but I know for sure I wont be including that in my diet!! I see that a few of the items they suggest actually have a pretty low calorie count.. but if I go through the TB drive thru, I can guarantee you that's not what I'd pick

I guess it would be a good option when you dont have time to go home & eat... but I still dont like the commercial, ha.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

and Mango this is very OT, but I love your avatar
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

It is rare that I eat fast food but I do think the Fresco menu is a decent choice when working out of town and staying in hotels without kitchens.

I had a hotel right next to a Taco Bell and a Subway last year...decent choices....stayed away from the McDonald's across the street.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Does that gal in the commercial remind anyone else of Tracey Gold of the old Growing Pains show?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote