General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I think that I'm being misunderstood. I'm not saying don't give her a break. I'm just shocked that most of the posts are saying not to even mention it if a parent is concerned.

I would totally bring it up in a somewhat joking matter and I would also ask if she needs help in anything. I think one person stated that teachers love parents to volunteer. That's what I would do. I'm not a teacher but I have 7 teachers in my family. I understand what teachers go through and I'm sure it was a slip and it will never happen again, but my point is IF a parent is concerned go with that gut feeling and do whatever you can to help the situation in the future. *stepping off soap box* lol
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'm just shocked that most of the posts are saying not to even mention it if a parent is concerned.
I'm shocked that it's something that anyone would think was worth being "concerned" about ... much less bringing it up to the teacher.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #33  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I can totally understand not wanting your child's teacher to make a habit of swearing in front of the kids, but think that, maybe before bringing it up, you might want to observe more/keep an eye/see if it happens again. Because I think there are two options, which you can't really tell apart based on one incident:

1. The teacher is aware of the fact that she swore and that it is inappropriate, probably embarrassed that it slipped out, and will be monitoring more for it in the future. Next time, it may well be a "heck" that slips out when she's frustrated, because she's aware of the problem.

2. She isn't aware of doing it, or aware that it is inappropriate, and so it will continue, at which point bringing it up with her would be a good thing if you're concerned.

I do think parents have a right to talk to teachers about ANY sort of repeated pattern of behavior in the classroom that makes them uncomfortable, whether it be swearing or a way of talking to/yelling at the students or whatever. I just believe that, as parents, the desire to protect your child can prompt you to bring things up that were, truly, one-time occurrences. There is a big difference between a teacher who continually screams at the class to sit down and be quiet, and the teacher who does it once because she has a migraine, you know?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #34  

To each their own. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Obviously she was concerned to get advice, I think we are all built with an internal warning system if you have a concern address it in a nice way and then be a part of the solution if there needs to be one.

In this country, so many people let things "slide by" and don't take a stand for what they believe is right. I'm not trying to open another can with that statement, but I believe that is true. We'll wake up one day and all of rights will be gone, and we'll be staring out ourselves saying how did we get here?!?!

Granted, I'm not saying that this is one of those situations, but in my book concern= at least an inquiry.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #35  

The above statement was directed at Photchick not Mad... thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I really don't think **** is a bad word. I take my son to church and I know he has heard that word more than once! She may have not even thought it was a bad word! She could be using **** to replace a even worse word like the f-word "oh, what the f---". Anyway, we are human and it just goes to show you that she is doing her best. Or least that is what I think...
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #37  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In this country, so many people let things "slide by" and don't take a stand for what they believe is right.
________

True, but as many, or more people (I would say more, in this current world) feel that it's their right to give everyone their opinion whether it's wanted or not, and whether it hurts others or not. Discretion is as much a virtue as is standing up for what you believe in.

We all may have different opinions whether this is a situation for one or the other, and that's what we're sharing here - our opinions regarding whether this is a situation to "take a stand on," or a situation calling for discretion.

If you're going to "make a stand" on a teacher slipping a mild swear word, I think it would be hypocritical not to seek out and address the bigger injustices that are surely going on in any school. Otherwise, you're not making a stand, you're nitpicking.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
If you're going to "make a stand" on a teacher slipping a mild swear word, I think it would be hypocritical not to seek out and address the bigger injustices that are surely going on in any school. Otherwise, you're not making a stand, you're nitpicking.
Yup. With a definite question as to whether "****" is actually even a swear word - mild or otherwise.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #39  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I want to stress I'm not opposed to someone "taking a stand," if it's something they really feel is important, even if I don't share that same view. My point was more that if this IS something a parent feels strongly about, I would hope that they would feel more strongly about the other examples.

But all of this is MY opinion, and I feel that a person needs to act according to their conscience, not other people's opinions.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #40  

I totally agree Kaplods. It was that we were talking about this issue at hand not all of the others too. It's up to the individual and what they feel they need to. I was just stating my opinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

One time I was in the Infant room of the daycare I worked at and a Five year old from the morning class had come too late for the bus and was "visiting" in my room. Something weird was going on out front with people running back and forth and I said What the **** is going on then aware of her at my elbow I said. "You didn't hear that! " and she said "Yes I did "
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #42  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

As a husband of a middle school teacher and father and father in law of high school teachers, I too am glad you didn't confront the teacher on this one.

Reminded me though of about 15 years ago. My children attended our church school from pre-8th grades. One day my 4th grade daughter came home and said "Daddy, Mrs. F. said the S-WORD in school today." ...my reply was something along the lines of "well, what happened then?" "She said...oops!...I shouldn't have said that...I'm sorry children." I asked her if all the kids laughed....she said no, they just sat there quietly. Probably stunned!

Pretty much the end of that conversation....my daughter has heard my "construction" words before...not that I am "proud" of it mind you.

As luck would have it, at church the following Sunday, I lead my row up to the altar for communion....guess who was the end of the row ahead of me...yep...Mrs. F. I just whispered "I hear you have quite a potty mouth" as we headed up for communion.

Needless to say she was quite embarrassed for what she had said in front of the kids...but still today, 15 years later, myself, daughter and Mrs. F. get a laugh out of it!

As someone pointed out the teacher may not even think **** is a bad word. Look at the b word...said all day long on TV....the f word is used in many songs we allow our kids to listen to.

Why do we allow trash into our lives and turn our heads, yet get upset over the smallest of things?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #43  
Operator265

Anyone notice that **** is not ***** out on the posts. Damn isn't either. Just an observation.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #44  
South Beach WOE

S/C/G: 182/176/130

I agree she may not have realized it. We all sometimes don't think before we speak and say something wrong. I am going into Teachers College and when I am stressed at home I sometimes swear. I know I will need to watch my mouth in front of the little ones and be very cautious as to how I react and what I say.... I wouldn't 'tattle' to the Principal but maybe speak to her in private.
Brockbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I have to go along with the majority here and agree that it would be best not to say anything unless she does it again. If she makes a habit of it, heck yeah I'd say something. If it was a slip, she should be given a break. I'm a high school teacher and I have slipped before in front of a few students (I don't think I've slipped in front of a whole class yet). I felt horribly guilty about it, even though they were high school age. So she may feel guilty too, and mentioning it to her won't help. She'll probably be extra vigilant about not doing it again. If not, she should be called on it. We really have to give teachers a break, though. You wouldn't believe the amount of pressure they get from parents for the slightest things, or for nonexistent problems that parents like to dream up. Dealing with parents is FAR worse than dealing with students.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote