General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #121  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

TAMARALYNN ~Angie said to tell you your roses are beautiful. She wouldn't let me show you her roses...thrifts? She said...anyway she said I could post pictures of her basil!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #122  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Angie & Gary! Roses are new for me yet. Are thrifts some sort of pest?

My neighbor just told me that to make your roses smell the best - and to keep away some pests - to plant a couple of garlic cloves around the base of the rose. The garlic will grow into little shoots - and the rose will produce an even stronger smell to offset the garlic. I wish I knew that before I planted mine hehehe.

oOohh the basil is so lush and green!!! I tried growing herb pots but we have some very pesty neighborhood stray cats that chew on them and use the pots as litter boxes. eww.

May have to purchase one of those compact greenhouses next year. We spent so much on our garden this year that we just can't afford anymore lol.
sod - bricks - mulch - patio set - swing - roses etc. LOL

Last edited by tamaralynn; 07-02-2008 at 06:53 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

My basil got attacked by something??? i trimmed it back and its starting to look better. But not as nice as yours gary. I think i might make a wire net to go over the herbies. I need to take some pics of my garden. Its getting good. Have a weetiny cuke and several green tomatoes. I'm being patient...but gosh darnit...i want veggies LOL
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #124  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Had some of that basil on a whole wheat homemade dough pizza tonight with tomatoes and mozzarella...yummy....that was Angie's.

Mine had pepperoni! lots of pepperoni...yummy but...ahem...not so healthy....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #125  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Beautiful roses Tamara, and Gary, your basil looks much more lush than mine. Our garden is looking pretty good. I'm going out tomorrow morning to fertilize the tomatoes. My morning exercise is suffering, but I love getting out in the garden between 5:30 and 6:30. It's cool, peaceful and an amazingly stressfree way to start the day. I'm attaching a few photos of our garden.

Our crookneck squash, zucchini and tomatoes here.
IMG_2235.jpg

We had squash for supper tonight. DH cooked it on the grill with some olive oil and creole seasoning.
IMG_2238.jpg

My herbs. Our basil still looks quite puny. My sage wintered over from last year and it is very leggy and woody. I need to cut part of it back. The rosemary, oregano and thyme are all growing quite well. I have a mint plant that I need to move to this bed.
IMG_2239.jpg

I brought some rooting hormone at home depot over the weekend. I'm going to try my hand at rooting some cuttings over the weekend. I want to try to root a few tomatoes as well as some other things around the yard. I would like to have a few tomato plants ready to plant when these start dying off. I have no idea if this is the right time of year or not. Does anyone have any advice with it?

dgramie, I haven't grown watermelons (my parents used to but I don't remember how we used to pick them). We grew cantaloupes last year and they are ready when the vine starts dying off near them stem. I'm not sure if watermelons are the same or not though.

Our tomato plants look good, but I'm seeing very few tomatoes. We have a fair amount of blooms, but I would sure love to see more green tomatoes on the them.

Happy gardening everyone.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #126  

Height: 5'7"

We got 3 ripe tomatoes yesterday. These are our first reg one of the season. We have grape tomatoes out our ears but they are not really good for sandwiches. My squash is coming in so fast I am starting to give it away.Zuc are coming in as well but dont have but 2 hills of it. We got a bell pepper yesterday as well. Seems like all the plants have grown together..so no weeding :O). I am just going to watch the melons and see what happens with them.
The roses are beautiful as are the herbs....i have never done herbs but plan to do some next year.
I planted marigolds from seeds this year and the plants are huge( over 2' tall ) and no blooms still. Not sure whats going on with them!! Sunflowers have blooms that are still not open. My girls cant wait to see the pretty heads on the sunflowers.
I also did touch me not in my pots around my pansies...they are huge but no flowers on them either. I may stick to plants next year if these dont start blooming soon.
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #127  

Man i'm jealous of all those with veggies already. I'm being patient...but man i want some veggies LOL
Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #128  
I'm a Loser ;)

Tammy - those squash look devine! I bet they tasted absolutely wonderful!!

Debi - yay ripe tomatoes. Most of my tomatoes are also cherries. I have a Lemon Boy, a Roma and lots of little ones LOL. They're great in salads.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default you're killing me!

dgramie, I can't stand it!!! Where are you that you are THERE already???? Ripe tomatoes and squash!! Tomatoes are a month off for me...or close..and squash..prolly 2!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #130  

Im in western Ky. We had a really warm early spring and my hubby planted our tomatoes early..april 18 .I had to cover them 2 times because of frost but usually here its not safe to plant until after May 1. We planted squash from seeds on april 20.
We ate our first tomatoes today for lunch........in our area you are on time if you have tomatoes on th 4th of july. I dont have any corn...but its normal for it to be ready as well by the 4th. Its running a few weeks behind in my area due to rain.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #131  

It seemed like I would never get a ripe tomatoe and now they are all getting ripe at once!! Guess I will call my sisterinlaw to come and get some.
We spent a few hours out in the garden today restaking and tying up the tomatoes again. Also some weeding...and spotted all my melons so i know where they are at so i dont walk on them! Bell peppers are finally coming along nicely. I have lots of tiny peppers on them. We have eaten 3 already.
We are going to have to water tonight because everything is getting so dry.
debi
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #132  

My one tomato is starting to turn color..in addition, one of my red pepper's is starting to grow. I also now have 2 cukes growing.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #133  

I have 2 red pepper plants..when do the peppers turn red?? mine are still green but really small still.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #134  
I'm a Loser ;)

My garden is ruined!!! It HAILED like mad when I was at work. Came home to see the damage.... and it DESTROYED my garden!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #135  

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it really ruined completly?? Can you baby the plants back?? I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know i would cry!!!!!!!!!
debi