General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Menopause (Gary, don't read this!!)

HI gals: Well, it may be happening to me, but I am not sure.....I have been pretty regular for years now...but I've missed the last two months. I wee-wee'd on a stick and saw the words "not pregnant" in the window of it, so that theory is out.

I just turned 43, and I was 9 when my cycles started. I'm not sure when my mom and/or sisters went through it, but I think my mom might have been mid 40's. I'm not having any other menopausal symptoms at the present time.

Anyone want to offer their insight on this? Thanks!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default Hahaha

(I am laughing at the note for Gary to not to read this)

I have a friend who stopped menstruating at about the same age - I did not know her then. She said that she just stopped menstruating and never went through any symptoms. I wished it was so easy and painful for all of us.
I can't offer any other insight since I am not there yet.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

I flew through - just stopped - no symptoms. I had been advised by docs it was possible this would happen since I wasn't able to have kids. Hope it is as easy for you as it was for me.

I think I was 42.
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

could be... if you're concerned call your doctor.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I would think it's possible that you're entering menopause.

I stopped having periods with any regularity in my mid thirties. By 37, I had stopped completely and my doctor just diagnosed it as amenorrhea, after running bunches of tests. This year, my doctor said my fsh levels were low enough to officially be in menopause. I have been very lucky to not have any symptoms. I am still debating whether to ask to go on hormones. The reading I have done indicate that women who go into premature menopause benefit more than other women from hormone replacement therapy.

A couple of months ago, I started a thread about weight loss and premature or early menopause. It was interesting to me how many of us who have been or are obese experienced it.

Last edited by jtammy; 05-04-2008 at 08:48 PM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

ANGIE HERE ~

Can't understand why you don't want Gary to read this--he been living it for the past three years!!

I have been experiencing menopause symptoms for the past two/three years and it ain't been pretty.

Night sweats, mood swings, lack of libido (oops! should I say that here!!!), you name it, I've had it. I just started getting hot flashes these past months. I call it the cherry on top of the icing on my menopause cake.
I went back on birth control pills for a while. It helped with the night sweats. I was even on anti-depressants. I no longer take either.
AND I still get my period. I missed a few months a while back and was hoping it was over, but NO, it came BACK! I keep offering to donate my uterus to science, but they keep turning me down!!!!!!!!!

Gary has been very understanding and patient and I truly appreciate him for that. Every so often he very politely asks me how long it is going to last. OMG, I wish I knew, it's already lasted tooooo loooong.

My advice is to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing or else it will drive you nuts.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
ANGIE HERE ~

Night sweats, mood swings, lack of libido (oops! should I say that here!!!), you name it, I've had it.

LOL Angie, okay I've conveniently forgotten that one little symptom I am having (highlighted above). Out of sight out of mind.....

DH says he thinks I went through hot flashes a few years ago, but I don't really think so, I think it was all the extra weight.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggirls View Post
I flew through - just stopped - no symptoms. I had been advised by docs it was possible this would happen since I wasn't able to have kids. Hope it is as easy for you as it was for me.

I think I was 42.
Interesting...I have not been able to have children either (PCOS). I had an ectopic pregnancy while using fertility drugs.

And we are about the same age...
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
ANGIE HERE ~

Can't understand why you don't want Gary to read this--he been living it for the past three years!!
Wow, Angie, that explains a LOT! ROFL
Old 05-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

I remember going through heck when my mom went through menopause. We used to drive up here from Rochester when I was a teenager and it is a three-hour drive. Those drives with my mom were AWFUL for ALL of us with the hot flashes..."Turn on the AC, I'm having a hot flash!!" and we all turned blue while she cooled off, then "Turn on the heat, I'm freezing!!" and we all peeled off our clothes while mom warmed up. And the MOOD swings!! And we didn't dare say anything to her or she'd leave us on the side of the road. It was fun.

I'm 42 now and no signs of menopause yet. Except (Gary, don't read this, either) I'm going bald. And you know where... That's the only sign I have that the baby factory is fixing to close down. That and the absence of libido with me, too. I feel bad for my husband because he knows I was a bit out of control in my twenties, for the jerks I met while dating, but now that I've met the nicest guy and married him, I couldn't care less. The one that deserves me to be unhinged the most doesn't get it at all. I've heard Wellbutrin is good for it. Once DH gets on the company insurance, I'm going to see the doctor about it.

At least we aren't alone with our 'issues'...

Last edited by techwife; 05-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I keep hearing about the loss of libido. Well, that isn't happening here! I went through menopause about 1-2 years ago. I don't know if it's the weight loss (feelin' sexy) or the fact that we have a lot of alone time with kids gone, but my husband is raving about menopause. I don't remember a time when I felt "in the mood" more. I had my hormone levels checked last year before going on a estrogen patch for hot flashes (best thing I ever did except for my hysterectomy for terrible fibroids 6 years ago) and my Dr. said my testosterone was a little low. I asked her if she was kidding! I am certainly not feeling low in that department. Maybe the better diet I'm on is helping. I dunno!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post

I'm 42 now and no signs of menopause yet. Except (Gary, don't read this, either) I'm going bald. And you know where...
OMG! I had no clue this is part of the process! Maybe since some women already "take care" of that area they don't notice it.....
Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
OMG! I had no clue this is part of the process! Maybe since some women already "take care" of that area they don't notice it.....
i'd rather be bald than gray!
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #14  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

this thread is killing me hahahaaaa

my mum is pretty much through hers now and she is in her mid fifties.. but the hot flashes were what annoyed her the most

im full on dead against HRT. it has caused WAY to many cases of cervical cancer. please ladies, if you can "sweat it out" for want of a better phrase please do or look to natural methods to ease the transition into the most wonderful part of a womans bloom
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPaula View Post
im full on dead against HRT. it has caused WAY to many cases of cervical cancer. please ladies, if you can "sweat it out" for want of a better phrase please do or look to natural methods to ease the transition into the most wonderful part of a womans bloom
HRT does not cause cervical cancer! HPV is blamed for most cases. You may be thinking of endometrial cancer.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote