General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #1  
Walking by faith

Unhappy Does .8 lb matter?

I can't remember the last time I started a thread, but I need to get this off my chest...

Last week, an old friend came to visit me. We talk fairly regularly on the phone, but I hadn't seen her in a while. I guess she must have noticed my DH's WW book on the kitchen table, since she asked me if I'd been to Weight Watchers this week. I told her yes, and added that I'd lost .8 of a pound. This was a breakthrough for me, since I've been struggling just to stay out of the 290's. Her response was: 'That shows up on the scale? Does .8 of a pound even matter?' I answered her calmly, 'yes it does', and that was the end of the discussion...but I'm still hurting from her insensitivity .

The real answer to that question: Yes, it DOES matter. It matters because of my health problems and lack of mobility..it matters because I don't want to die of obesity related illness at 57..it matters because I now outweigh my DH by almost 100 pounds

Would .8 of a pound matter to you?
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

If a loss of .5 # a week is the minimum doctors recommend, then yes, any loss or gain more than that is significant and would matter to *me*. YMMV
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Any loss is significant.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It ABSOLUTELY matters!!!! Any movement downwards matters. Heck, 0.2 matters! There are going to be weeks where you lose a little, a lot, or none at all. Consistency is what counts and 0.8 losses over and over DEFINTELY addds up.

Some folks just don't understand an accomplishment when they see one. Don't let her get your down!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

When one is overweight, losing or even MAINTAINING is a victory! She is insensitive. Maybe not intentionally, but still!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

it totally matters...a loss is a loss...WTG...wohoooo congrats to you girl. That's what you need to hear...your cheering section is here...YEAH 0.8 lbs....you keep up loosing those 0.8 lbs and by the end of the month it would be 3.6 lbs...woohooo...keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Of course it matters! All those .8's, .5's, .4's .whatevers add up! And WTG on that .8!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

As already said . . . IT MATTERS . . . what doesn't matter is her attitude. Although she probably didn't mean it as harshly as it sounded . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #9  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Joanne, YES IT MATTERS.
It means you follwed the plan and it's working! I agree with everyone else above, don't let your "friend" rain on your parade. Good job and keep up those healthy efforts.

as for your friend, I have something for her ------>
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #10  

Default Woo Hoo

Hooray! I am completely impressed that you remained calm in answering her question. As already stated, she probably didn't mean it as badly as it sounded, but she really could have been a little more supportive. That is why forums like this are so important. You know you can come here and talk to people who "get it". Just remember that you aren't losing the weight for the complements, or for anyone else but YOU. Your life is special, important and worth making the sacrifices needed to live a healthier life.

YEAH YOU!
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If she was even at a healthy weight, I guess I would have said "and how much did you lose this week?"

Losing weight is hard, and everyone wants to lose 2 lbs or more a week, but only a few of The Biggest Loser contestants even averaged more than 3 lbs a week, and they had nothing to do but lose weight. I think we have to put it in perspective, that if you lose anything, even .2 lbs, you are so far ahead of the national "average" for weekly weight loss, that you have a right to just stick your tongue out at anyone who criticizes it. Sure some weeks you may lose more (or less), but for every .8 lb plus weekly weight loss (or even .2 weight loss for that matter), there are thousands that did not do so well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #12  
ViolinCyndee

Even .2 matters!!
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #13  
Walking by faith

Smile

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words! I know that my friend didn't mean to be insensitive. I think it's hard for people who haven't fought this battle to understand how important every victory is, no matter how small!

You all mean so much to me..thank you!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Good heavens, the person who said that was not only insensitive, she must have no understanding at all of the process of weight loss. OF COURSE, .8 of a pound matters! You bet it matters! Congratulations, that's a good loss for the week.

I personally lose so slowly now that EVERY .1 matters to me. And a maintain matters to me.

Every single step we are taking to reach our goal, no matter where we are in the process, is a victory.

You are doing great. Ignore your insensitive friend.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

AW JOANNE

Of course it matters! Any loss we have is one step closer to our GOAL! We get there one ounce at a time dear. That is the job that we have to do for ourselves.

You said your friend was not being insensitive, SO....to her, maybe .8 is not very much....I know that before I "gained unwanted pounds" .8 would not have been much to me either. Now I know all those .8's add up!

I know that you know I am here for you! I think it is time for me to give a gentle push and tell you.........

"Joanne, ok dear, it's time to STEP OUT and re-focus towards what is important here, let's not get stuck here on .8 let's get that bumped up to 1 pound!"

Good luck to your 1-1 SOX

Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote