Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #1  
I WILL get in a bikini!

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Thumbs up "Pasta" Squash!!!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!

Hey Guys! I just got done eating some steamed spaghetti squash with a meatless spaghetti sauce and reduced fat parmesan cheese for dinner. IT WAS FANTASTIC! I had never heard about doing this until I saw Rachel Ray do it on the food network the other night. I was pretty sceptical at first, but now that I have had it, what a superb replacement for pasta! Half of an entire squash (which I could only eat half of, so I ended up eating only a quarter of a whole squash) is 0 points!!! then with the sauce, 1 pt, and cheese - 1 point. It was a very filling 2 point dish! And OOOOOOOO so good! If yall want some recipes for it, I would be happy to post them. Just thought I would pass this little tip to yall! Happy dieting!

Tiffany
Tiffy_Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #2  

I'd like the recipe for that please.

Blimey your current weight is tiny I'm superjealous.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #3  
I WILL get in a bikini!

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Here it is:

1 4lb. Spaghetti Squash
1 small Can stewed tomatoes (italian style if you can find it)
2 cans tomatoe sauce
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 small can of sliced olives
half green bell pepper, chopped
half large onion, chopped
1 TB. minced garlic
Cooking spray
1 TB. dried oregano
1 TB. Dried basil
Garlic salt to taste
2 tsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper
Onion powder to taste
2 or 3 TB. Reduced fat or fat free parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cut the squash in half, longways, and scrape out all seeds. Place in a 9 x 9in square pyrex dish (or any microwavable dish) with skin side up. Fill dish with about 1/2 in of water and then tightly wrape cling wrap around the dish. Place in microwave for 15 to 20 min. or until squash is fork tender. While the squash is cooking, spray a soup pot with cooking spray and saute onion, bell pepper and garlic until onion is translucent. Add all ingredents except the squash and cheese. Bring to a gentle boil for 30 min, uncovered. Add water if the consistency is to thick for your taste, or let boil a while longer if you want it thicker. You can add thinly sliced zuchini or canned mushrooms at this point for extra chuncky sauce. Now, take out the squash and hold with oven gloves on and begin to shred the meat with a fork. This is when you will be AMAZED at how it turns into "pasta"! Add sauce to the squash and mix the cheese in. You are all set! Serve with a chicken salad or a fruit salad. Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my weight! It has taken ALOT of hard work and commitment to get to this point. But, it can be done! It is amazing to me to think I used to be a size 15 and am now down to a size 2! I just hope I can keep it off forever.
Tiffy_Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

I've tried spaghetti squash before and hated it. I wonder if I maybe just did it wrong??
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #5  

Spaghetti squash is wonderful!! What a great substitute for the "real" thing. I like it better now than the other. I planted 15 plants last year and I am still eating them. I steam my squash halves. I also add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the sauce. It is great. Another great addition I use is sweet red peppers (when on sale). It is time to plant again. Yeah!
Carol
CarolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #6  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Yummy..sounds good! I'll have to try.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #7  

It sounds amazing and not too hard. I want to try this. How long did it take to make?
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 AM   #8  

Spaghetti squash grow like mad here, so I have a neverending supply for a few months a year thanks to my mother's garden.
It's delicious just with salt and butter (low fat margarine or butter spray, whatever you use).
It's tasty cold mixed with mayo and stuff like a pasta salad... in soups instead of noodles... many many uses.
Try it if you haven't, I know I was amazed the first time a hard green squash magically turned into pasta in my oven.
A ton of fibre in it too.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #9  
back on track

S/C/G: 184/ticker/130(?)

Height: 5'8"

Ooh i love spaghetty squash. It's amazingly like pasta, i had some last night with tomato sauce. Soo good, and soo healthy. It works with pretty much any pasta sauce, and is only 42 calories for a cup. For comparison regular spaghetti is around 200 calories a cup (i think?). So you can have a lot more of the squash "pasta" for your calorie buck.
mandi<3 is offline   Reply With Quote