Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:24 AM   #1  
Theres no stopping me now

Default Watermelon - help needed

I'm trying to encourage my boys to eat more fruit and this morning bought a watermelon as they have previously eaten them at school.

Only problem is I have no idea of the right way to cut it - I sliced it but it had loads of seeds in it, which my youngest boy spent ages picking out leaving him with a reddish mush on his plate for him to eat.

I'm sure there must be an easier way to eat it - did I slice it wrong or did I buy a 'not-so-good' one

If I sliced it right, is there a polite way to deal with all those seeds ?

All advice appreciated - I don't want my sons growing up not really having tasted watermelon because their mum didn't know how to cut it right.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:51 PM   #2  
You and Me in 2003

Carol. The correct way to cut a melon in my opinion is from end to end. I put the tip of my knife in the stem end and go to the other end . then break apart. Then you can cut each half in half. some melons have more seeds than others. If it was real mushy it may have been over ripe. I live in Mississippi and watermelons are plentyful here.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:42 PM   #3  

HI! i love watermelon. but here in ohio, i do it the simple way.i buy the seedless. they are the same price as the seeded and taste the same!
Closed Thread