Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'6

Default Lean Cuisines

Im sure this has been discussed in the past but what are some of your opinions on Lean Cuisines. I for one love them and think they are a perfect quick meal substitute, especially when you dont have time to cook. Ive heard things about them being high in sodium, but is this true? Any opinions?
WillPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #2  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I only eat their frozen pizza occasionally, like when I'm stuck and have to have dinner at work. Part of it is the high sodium levels, as anything pre-packaged and preserved tends to have.

The other thing I have found is not all weight-healthy foods are heart healthy. Some of the LC, and I'm thinking of panini sandwiches specifically, have hydrogenated oils in them which are no good.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I love LC. I am hooked on Paninis right now, especially the steak and cheddar ones. I don't have issues with sodium so I don't really look at that part. I eat one almost everyday.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well vs. eating out they are extremely low sodium. Even subway is high in sodium! The days I eat subway for dinner (2x a week cuz of school) my sodium level goes up like 2000 mg it's so annoying! My lean cuisine today has 650 mg sodium, but when you don't have time to cook I'd say it's a decent option
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #5  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I have them about once a week. I like all the flavors but honestly it's such a small amount (as in small volume) of food for the calories that I never really feel all that satisfied when I'm done. I often try to add in stuff that has only a tiny bit of calories, like I'll add in extra veggies or something like that.

I just had one for lunch because I was in a pinch. I had the santa fe style chicken with rice and beans and I added at least a 1/4 cup of rough chopped pico de gallo to increase the volume a bit.

They are a bit high in sodium but as someone mentioned above so is pretty much anything prepared/preserved. Does sodium affect your weight loss? Are you worried about high blood pressure? If not I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited by Fox; 04-16-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you watch your sodium the rest of the day the sodium should not be a problem. LC is a great convenience for the dieter. along with a healthy diet in general.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #7  

My favorite is to saute some onion and maybe garlic with cooking spray. Dump in 1/2 to 1/3 bag of frozen spinach. Cover adding just a tablespoon or so of water if it needs it till the spinach is cooked. Sliced mushroom sauteed with the onion is nice too. Then stir in the 1/2 nuked Lean Cuisine Fettucini Alfredo. If you have some lean protein like diced chicken breast toss it in as well. Stir up and heat through. A huge filling portion and it tastes great. I usually do not add salt. The LC has plenty. I may add just a sprinkle of the green box parmesan to add flavor. You can quickly do this in a microwave but it will not be as good. Any veg of choice like green beans or brussel sprouts can be substituted. Makes a quick filling emergency meal that tasts special.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i eat 'em every day for lunch. they're fast and easy. i don't find them to be filling enough. i've been adding veggies to them to make them more filling. i don't love them - but i've kinda run out of any other ideas.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I usually supplement some fruit with my lean cuisine, such as oranges, tangerines, apple with peanut butter, whatever I'm in the mood for- I find it makes a filling lunch
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

they are not filling enough for me.
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Sodium aside, I find Lean Cuisine ... disappointing. I love Amy's frozen products, though. I always have a few in my freezer:

Vegetarian, some vegan, some low sodium or soy or non-dairy, basically a lot for various needs. I eat one of their frozens almost every week when I'm on my own for dinner. Sometimes it is one for only 260 cals; sometimes it is a different one for 400 cals.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote