Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #16  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
LLV - Thanks for the tip about Delicata Squash, and thanks also to the additional enthusiastic posters. I'd never heard of it.

BUT, today, I found some at the local farmer's market. Bought 4 (2 medium, 2 small). For dinner. DW put one of the small ones in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Just ate it with a little butter - didn't need anything else. Sweet. Delicate. ATE THE SKIN. WOW.

Found them in one of our catalogs; we'll order seeds for next year.
So glad you found them! Aren't they wonderful? Soft and moist and not quite as dry as butternut. Although I love my butternut squash, just had one today for lunch.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Delicata Squash will last 4 weeks

Robin - The farmer told me they'd last about 4 weeks. This skin is tender enough to eat, but, uncooked, it feels hard just like other squash.
DW and I both ate the skin, DD didn't. YMMW

A week ago I'd never heard of them; yesterday I also spotted them in the local Shaw's - a supermarket not particularly known for adventure.

LLV - Yes moist, and also more sweet than butternut. We've had them twice in four days now.

XXXXXX| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 6. 36 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Robin, I'm really surprised that you're having such a hard time finding delicata. It's in just about every grocery store around here. Do you have a Wegman's near you? In their prepared foods section, they offer a roasted brussel sprout & delicata squash medley that I'm in love with. I can do the same thing on my own, but it's great when I need to grab something quick.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #19  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
LLV - Yes moist, and also more sweet than butternut. We've had them twice in four days now.
And what's great is such a wonderful food is so good for you! I adore squash and eat it regularly. I had my butternut yesterday and since today's lunch is already planned, on Wednesday I'm going to eat my spaghetti squash. I also have one more delicata (should have picked up more because I can't find them now) and a golden nugget squash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Robin, I'm really surprised that you're having such a hard time finding delicata. It's in just about every grocery store around here.
Count yourself lucky! I found the delicata that one day and haven't seen it since. Now, butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash you can ALWAYS find, year 'round. But the 'rare' squashes that you only see once a season sort of pop up at the store, as though the store bought an excess that they took off of somebody's hands, once they're gone you never see them again.

That's like Patty Pan squash - I love that stuff and have seen it at my local farmer's market (never in the store) ONE TIME. And that's it.

Last edited by LLV; 10-16-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I was at Whole Foods, they had about 10 different types of winter squashes including Delicata. I bought a locally grown organic delicata for 1.49/lb.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Guess what I just found? Uh-huh. I went to a specialty type produce store not too far from my home that I had forgotten about and sure enough there they were. Delicata squash. They're tiny - and expensive. I paid $1.99 per lb. I bought 4 of them. I asked the man there how much longer they will be around for. He said another month, . BUT, he said he knows of people who cut them open and freeze them - for up to a whole year.

I can't wait to try it. Probably not tonight, but tomorrow.

They had some other really weird, gnarly looking squashes there as well.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-16-2007 at 05:41 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Celebrate

Robin got her Delicata Squash.

$1.99/lb is worth it for the best squash on the planet with good nutrition and low calories.

XXXXXXX 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 7. 35 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #23  
LLV

Woohoo!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #24  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

for Robin!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #25  
Just Me

I cooked my delicata for dinner, it was quite nice I may need to go back to Whole Foods and get more. I also have other squashes I need to cook as well though.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had it and it was YUMMY. Although, I found it very similar to the acorn squash. This was a nice small size though and I ate the WHOLE thing, skin and all. I will be having another one today and tomorrow ... and probably every day as long as they're around. For the small amount or calories, why not? Maybe I'll try freezing one. Then defrosting it and cooking it up. If I like it that way, maybe I'll store a few (dozen) in my freezer.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #27  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I had it and it was YUMMY. Although, I found it very similar to the acorn squash. This was a nice small size though and I ate the WHOLE thing, skin and all. I will be having another one today and tomorrow ... and probably every day as long as they're around. For the small amount or calories, why not? Maybe I'll try freezing one. Then defrosting it and cooking it up. If I like it that way, maybe I'll store a few (dozen) in my freezer.
I don't think freezing a whole squash would work too well. I could be wrong, but I think freezing it would ruin it. Just like it would be ruined in the garden if the ground froze at night.

What I'd do is cook it first, then freeze it. Because you can buy cooked frozen winter squash in the store, so I think that would work okay.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to eat the skin. That doesn't sound very appetizing to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #28  
Just Me

I ate the skin and I liked it

Robin,
I'm amused that you ate the whole thing, didn't you share?!
DH and I ate half of it and then I saved half for tonight. I do need some more though
Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #29  
Me at 160

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'5''

Sounds great! I love squash too. Now that I'm being more calorie conscious I would like to know how everyone has been preparing it. At thanksgiving I used a mixture of butter, dijon and honey to drizzle over top and it was delicious but any other tasty lower cal ideas? I suppose I wouldn't have to worry about a little bit of that drizzle if I cut out other things.
135again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #30  
Just Me

I've been just cutting it up (first time I halved it then sliced it, this last time I just quartered it lengthwise) and sprinkling pepper on it. It is really good!

I went back to Whole Foods and went crazy... bought some more delicata, some spaghetti squash, some butternut squash. Now I have to eat them