Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #1  
LLV

Default Wonderful Winter Squash

Ok, at the store yesterday I found Delicata squash. I just ate it for lunch.

Oh - My- Gawd!

This is even better than Acorn. It's got the most wonderful flavor.

This is Delicata squash. Find some!

Also called Sweet Potato, Peanut squash, and Bohemian squash. This is one of the tastier winter squashes, with creamy pulp that tastes a bit like sweet potatoes. Size may range from 5 to 10 inches in length. The squash can be baked or steamed The skin is also edible.

The delicata squash is actually an heirloom variety, a fairly recent reentry into the culinary world. It was originally introduced by the Peter Henderson Company of New York City in 1894, and was popular through the 1920s. Then it fell into obscurity for about seventy-five years, possibly because of its thinner, more tender skin, which isn't suited to transportation over thousands of miles and storage over months.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ooooooh, yes. Delicata squash. I got some in a CSA box last year and FELL IN LOVE. So tasty.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Ooooooh, yes. Delicata squash. I got some in a CSA box last year and FELL IN LOVE. So tasty.
Oh it's wonderful. I'd say it's more of a cross between butternut and acorn with just a slightly sweeter flavor. To me it doesn't taste anything like a sweet potato. And the flesh, when baked, is soooo soft and creamy.

I'm glad I grabbed two of them, I'm eating the other one soon!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

This sounds yummy. I love squash. I am headed out later for a trip to the produce store. I will definitely look for it.

The only thing is, I looked for it on Fitday and couldn't find it. I'm curious to know the fiber content. I recently started eating the butternut squash - love it, even better then the acorn. I hadn't looked it up and figured it was similar in nutritional value to the acorn squash. Well, I finally got around to looking it up the other day, and lo and behold, the acorn squash is waaaay healthier then the butternut. Similar calories, but, and I simply don't understand this, the acorn squash has 9 gms of fiber per cup - the butternut squash 0. So, I'd be curious to know what the delicata contains.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 3/4 cup (85.0 g)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount per Serving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories 30 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0%
Saturated Fat 0%
Monounsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated Fat
Trans Fat
Cholesterol 0%
Sodium 0%
Potassium 0%
Total Carbohydrate 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 3g
Other Carbohydrate
Protein 0%

Vitamin A 70%
Vitamin C 15%
Calcium
Iron 2%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin E 0%
Vitamin K
Thiamin (B1)
Riboflavin (B2)
Niacin (B3)
Vitamin B6 0%
Folic Acid (Folate)
Vitamin B12 0%
Biotin
Phosphorus
Magnesium
Panthothenic Acid
Zinc 0%
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

Thanks Amanda. Where'd you find it?

Anyway, isn't it amazing the difference in the fiber content from such similar forms of squash. This one is also fairly low. But then again, so is the calorie content. I can't wait to be done with work and get to the produce store to see if they have it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

DailyPlate, I think...I googled it and looked at a few different places, all of which agreed on the cals/fiber (I never trust daily plate by itself, since the values are editable).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

More info on Delicata...

(From a seed company that sells delicata seeds)
Delicata is an oblong veggie about 8 inches long and 4 inches around. The rind is ivory with dark green stripes and flecks, while the flesh (surrounding a very small seed cavity) is a rich golden-orange. It can be baked, steamed, roasted, grilled, or even punctured and popped into the microwave for a quick snack! And even though it tastes so savory, an entire squash contains less than 80 calories, plus generous amounts of potassium and Vitamins C and B. You can't go wrong with this healthy squash!

From "Whats Cooking America" Squash Information Page:
Delicata - Also called Sweet Potato, Peanut squash, and Bohemian squash. This is one of the tastier winter squashes, with creamy pulp that tastes a bit like sweet potatoes. Size may range from 5 to 10 inches in length. The squash can be baked or steamed The skin is also edible.

The delicata squash is actually an heirloom variety, a fairly recent reentry into the culinary world. It was originally introduced by the Peter Henderson Company of New York City in 1894, and was popular through the 1920s. Then it fell into obscurity for about seventy-five years, possibly because of its thinner, more tender skin, which isn't suited to transportation over thousands of miles and storage over months.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

I am terribly, terribly disappointed. I struck out.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

Robin - check Farmer's Markets, if you have one near. They usually carry the rarer, heirloom varieties of squash.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #11  
LLV

The thing I really loved about this squash is the skin is so tender, you can cut into it raw. Much different than acorn or butternut, that you need a chainsaw for to get the thing open, LOL.

But still, to me it's worth the effort because I love acorn and butternut. But this Delicata...... wow, it's fantastic. And Robin, keep looking. I found mine at Kroger. This time of year there are many more different varieties. If you have a Whole Foods Market in your area, maybe try that!

Oh, and mandalinn, thanks for the nutrition info!

Last edited by LLV; 10-10-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Oh trust me, I'll keep looking. This squash sounds just up my alley. I don't really have a Farmers Market type place around here or a Whole Foods Market. But come the weekend, when I have more time, I will go even further then locally to look for some place that might sell it. I'm on a mission now . Of course, I'm thinking I'd like to buy a few of them, but I'm thinking with the delicate skin, they probably don't hold up as well as they're heartier skinned cousins.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

No farmer's market Robin??? That's terrible!

I think our farmer's market is ending this week or next. I'm feeling a bit melancholy about it.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up My first Delicata Squash

LLV - Thanks for the tip about Delicata Squash, and thanks also to the additional enthusiastic posters. I'd never heard of it.

BUT, today, I found some at the local farmer's market. Bought 4 (2 medium, 2 small). For dinner. DW put one of the small ones in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Just ate it with a little butter - didn't need anything else. Sweet. Delicate. ATE THE SKIN. WOW.

Found them in one of our catalogs; we'll order seeds for next year.

XXX|||| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-Day 3 of 42
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

Robin - I found some in our local market today. I'd ship them to you, but I'm sure that would violate some sort of agricultural regulation or something.

You'll find them!

BillBlueEyes - Glad you found them! Mmmmm.