Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #16  
hara hachi bu

I did chicken breasts in mine all last week. I marinated them something different every day: leftover pasta sauce, a garlic dipping sauce, and salad dressings. I had it with butternut-squash soup and croutons - yum!

Shane, I seem to see them all the time at thrift stores and garage sales, maybe you could pick one up that way. In fact, my mom bought mine for me from a garage sale of our former governor. haha
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

What a coincidence, I just bought a new Foreman grill yesterday! I have an old one, but I quit using it because the teflon was peeling off the grids, and it was a pain to clean. My new one has the removeable grids, you can even pop them in the dishwasher. I love it!
P.S. - Kohl's has them on sale this week, with a mail-in rebate.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #18  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I love my George Foreman! Ok technically it's not mine, it's my subletter's, but I use it ALL the time. Especially for salmon. Mmm.. salmon.

I'm debating whether or not to get my own for college. I get 10 meals a week, and for most of them I can get fresh grilled salmon and steamed veggies or tofu. But I also get $500 a semester to spend on extra food or the convenience store- which really has nothing that I eat. I'm going to the school nutritionist to petition for more veggies and then I would get the grill, but only then.
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 235/199/160

Height: 5' 10 1/2"

I LOVE our George Foreman! I picked it up on sale last year around Christmas, I think. An older model that they were clearancing out for cheap. (I'm such a big cheapskate!) Eventually, I'd love to get the one with removable plates to make clean up easier but will, of course, wait for the deal of the century to land in my lap.
OH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I always heard they were hard to clean so have not gotten one , I may change my mind.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #21  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I got the special cleaning sponges (soft on one side, scrubbie on the other side) made for cleaning the George Foreman grids and I love them. Makes the job easier.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #22  
Happy New Rears!

I've found it very easy to clean if you wipe it right away while it's still warm. If you wait for hours there is a little more scrubbing involved. I love that the plates just pop off and you can put them in the dishwasher.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #23  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I noticed the canteen had two left today. I told Trouble (one of the cashiers) that by the time I have the money for it (Aug.3) they will be gone and she said she doubts it so keeping my fingers crossed!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #24  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I always heard they were hard to clean so have not gotten one , I may change my mind.
Know what I do? I buy the nonstick foil. Anytime I use my GF grill, I rip off a piece big enough that I can fold in half and it fits onto the grill. I preheat the grill with the nonstick foil on there. Then when it's ready, I stick whatever food I'm grilling in between the layers of the nonstick foil. You still come out with meats or veggies that get that "browned and grilled" appearance. Once the food is cooked, take it out of the foil, wad the foil up, throw it away and voila! No need to even wipe the grill down. Wait till it's cooled and put it back away.

That's how I solved the problem of cleaning the dang thing because it was a royal pain in the butt to get that thing clean.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

Default Pictures!

I've had my grill for about a week and a half, and I really like it. I've grilled chicken breast, garlic sausage, cauliflower, summer squash, and red pepper so far. Here are some pictures:

Garlic sausage:

Salmon:

Cauliflower (sprinkled with balsamic vinegar):

Dinner - salmon and cauliflower with peaches and cherries from the farmer's market:

Usually I'd have some sort of whole grain with dinner, but I'd had some carb-y snacks earlier in the day and wasn't very hungry.

I think the grill would be hard to clean if it didn't have removable plates, but with the removable plates it's very easy.

Wow, I learned a lot about uploading images from doing this!
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

Some notes on cooking - I've been overcooking things a bit, because the grill makes them so hot that they continue to cook after taking them off. So I'm going to start underestimating and pulling things off before they're quite done. The first batch of summer squash was mushy, while the second batch still has some texture left.

I wasn't sure whether prism68's suggestion was to put the cilantro on the salmon before or after grilling it. I was worried that the cilantro would burn in the grill, but it didn't and was delicious. I might try it sprinkled on afterwards the next time, just to see if makes any difference to the flavor.
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #27  
Happy New Rears!

sarah44, great photos! I have to try the cauliflower it looks delicious.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Oh...that cauliflower looks sooooo good! I'm going to try that soon

I agree with the removable plates making it much easier to clean.I had the other kind and hubby finally bought me a new one.It's so easy just popping the plates off and washing them in the sink,because now I'm not scrubbing.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #29  
banned

I *love* my George Foreman, too! That zucchini is a great idea.... mm, can try it with some salsa or something!! I never thought about that!
RachelJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #30  
Happy New Rears!

You know what else is good? Grilled celery

Slice it in thin sticks and throw it on high for 3 or 4 minutes, it tastes great.