Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Veggie Dips?

I am NOT a veggie person. I can stomach some asparagus if I saute it in olive oil (not the best way, I know) and most greens just don't appeal to me at all. Even salad-wise, I'm really picky about my dressing and almost always go for ceasar (yes, I know it's bad). But has anyone tried any really good veggie dips that are low in fat or calories? I find it much easier to snack on some raw carrots or other veggies if I have a good dip to use. Just a little flavor goes a long way with me!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorite veggie-dips whip up quickly at home, and are very tasty!

Quick Tzatziki
6 oz container fat free plain greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup cucumber, grated, then wrapped in towels and squeezed until as much liquid has been removed as possible
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 sprigs dill, chopped roughly

In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, drained cucumber, lemon juice, pepper, and dill. On your cutting board, finely mince the clove of garlic. Sprinkle the salt over it, and use the side of your knife to mash the garlic and salt together, creating a paste. Add the garlic paste to the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and chill 2-3 hours so the flavors can meld.

White Bean Dip -

2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
1 tsp sesame oil
Fat free chicken broth, to thin

In a food processor, combine the beans, lemon juice, lemon zest, sesame oil, garlic, and pepper, and puree until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly stream in chicken broth until the dip reaches your desired consistency (i like mine a little thin). Taste and add salt if desired (the chicken broth and beans usually provide enough salt, but sometimes it needs a bit to bring out the flavor). Chill for 1-2 hours to allow flavors to meld.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Yum mandalinn, that sounds tasty.

You're a foodie arent you? I am too. I was convinced that for a long time in order to lose weight, i would have to supress my love of "gourmet" cooking. I have recently found, that is not that case. It just makes us a little more creative.

Well, onceuponadrive, do you like a pesto base? Like putting spinach, basil, or parsley in a food processor, a little parm cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, and blending with veggie broth until it is the right consistency. Or if you prefer something creamy just add some sour cream or yogurt to the mix above and thin with the veggie broth to right thickness.

Or how bout plain old Hummus?

What about some ranch dip? Get the powdered packet of ranch, add low fat sour cream or yogurt instead of regular mayo. My kids LOVE this one.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm a crazy mad foodie. Our dinners taste better now than they did when we were going out and grabbing fast food...and they are a lot more healthy. I absolutely LOVE cooking. The only issue I've run into is with baking...so I just pawn off the baked goods on the neighbors. I go out once a week with some girlfriends - who I now refer to as my "bread of the week" club - I get out my baking urges, without actually having loaves of homemade bread lying around to tempt me.

On that foodie note, OnceUponADrive, have you tried roasting your asparagus? 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes - toss the asparagus with some cooking spray (or with 1/2 tbsp olive oil if you have the room) and salt/pepper. Divine.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Here is a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip that I think comes out great. It is only 62 calories for 1/4 cup.

I've also noticed that Alouette Cheese makes some lite dips that are reasonable in terms of calories (around 50 calories for 2 tbsp). And, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, I love their Eggplant Hummus, which is 35 calories per 2 tbsps.

I am also a foodie and I've found it to be really helpful in terms of my diet. Being able to plan meals and cook is a huge advantage (rather than eating out all the time); I just needed to refocus my foodie energies on finding low-calorie recipes. But I have to admit that baking has pretty much gone by the wayside for me. I used to make bread all the time and since I've been trying to lose weight, I can't remember the last time I made anything that requires yeast. I am refocusing that baking energy on canning--esp. jellies and pickles. Just as much of a challenge, if not more so, and much easier to fit into my calorie limit.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I make a yogurt dip, the FF sour cream is just a little to pasty tasting for me and using/keeping real sour cream in my house is just to dangerous (((luv the stuff))).

I use either low fat or regular plain yogurt and mix any dry salad dressing mix in it like 7 seas italian or any dry onion soup mix. Find a dressing you love and experiment. You might want to use 1/2 FF yogurt and 1/2 regular combo to start.

Enjoy!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #7  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I make ranch dip with a Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packet and fat free sour cream, pretty simple, I rarely have the time or ingredients to make anything more complicated than that. I also am a big fan of hummus which comes in so many yummy flavors! My favorite is roasted garlic.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #8  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

MMM...HUMMUS is my faaaaavorite! *mouth waters* I make my own because it's so easy and inexpensive to make. I used to think it was so disgusting looking, but I will crack a can of chickpeas open now and eat all of them.

My favorite is from Trader Joes...it's a 3 or 4 layer hummus. The stuff I make at home is just :

Chickpeas
lemon juice
Roasted Red peppers (in water)
salt and pepper
Non fat spray margarine

YUM! Of course some people don't like roasted red peppers and on occassion I add Sesame Tahini if I want a peanut butter taste to it.

All of the above dips sound AWESOME and I'm going to be trying them.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #9  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

I just tried this hummus variation and it was very creamy and yummy.

Creamy Chickpea Dip
5 oz. fat free Greek yogurt (I drained regular fat free yogurt)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups chickpeas
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. mined parsley
good squeeze of lemon

Blend it all up in your blending thingie.
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote