Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #31  

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, bird! I'm glad this is helping you out.

Yes, I'm doing the classic version. I suspect I'll do a second round as well. I tried talking my boyfriend into doubles for the second round but I got a very firm no. And, honestly, I have too much of a social life to fit it in. I didn't get home last night until 11:30 pm. That would have been horrible to try to fit something in then and get up the next morning to work out.

As it were, I didn't do Yoga this morning. I got to bed too late last night. Luckily, we have no plans tonight so we're going to do Yoga this evening. We're wondering if it won't be a bit easier since we'll be loose from the day instead of board stiff from just waking up.

So, you guys won't see my workout post for today until tomorrow morning likely. But, rest assured, I am NOT taking a day off. I haven't missed a single day and I don't plan to. From what I'm reading at BeachBody.com a lot of people skip days here and there. And, honestly, sometimes you have to. Life happens. But, I also notice many of those people skip one or two days, then they start making a habit of it, and eventually they just quit. I want to get my 90 days in SOLID. From that point forward I want to turn it into a lifestyle change and fit the workouts in on most days - but not redoing my schedule just to do it.

So, anyway... more on yoga once it's complete.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #32  

Day 22 - Week 4 Day 1 - Yoga

Well, I lied! I said that we would come home from work on Friday night and do our yoga - and we didn't! This is exactly why we work out in the morning instead of in the evening. There is zero motivation after you get home from work and have dinner.

So, then we decided we would do two workouts on Saturday. Saturday morning we did indeed wake up and do Yoga.

Yoga is growing on me! I mean, let's be honest, at the count down mark of 45 minutes left I feel like dieing. Those vinyasas are KILLER. I hate up dogs, down dogs, sideways dogs. And, some of those moves feel impossible. BUT - I'm starting to do moves I couldn't even think about attempting the first time around. Namely, the crane, wheel and royal dancer. Definite improvement!

I've found that I have an unnatural stiffness in my legs just behind my knees. On the yoga belly workouts I cannot straighten my knees at ANY point. I'm going to work extra hard on getting them to stretch out, because my lack of flexibility there is affecting a lot of the moves.

Even so, being fresh from sleeping in on Saturday morning really caused us to work HARD for yoga. We were dripping in sweat and we made an honest attempt on EVERY move for the full time. Lots of success as we did pretty much everything.

So, one workout down, one more to go! We had brunch at noon with a friend. We came back and cleaned the house. By the time we got things cleaned it was time to get ready for our Hawaiian Luau cooking class... so the 2nd workout would have to happen the next day. Oh boy, skipping a day is bad, bad, bad.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #33  

Day 23 - Week 4 Day 2 - Core Synergistics

Move over plyo, I have a new hated video.

W.

T.

F.

This was sooooo hard!!! I mean, I know they're all hard the first time you do them because you have no idea what's coming. And, there's some validity to that. At the same time, it's just freakin' hard. We paused and started over on quite a few moves to make sure we were getting them right, and it wasn't a matter of form. It was just a matter of inability to execute. I had sweat dripping in my eyes and for the walking push ups I was sliding all over the floor from my sweaty palms. This video was killer. I may call in dead later this week when I have to do it again.

My boyfriend LOVED it. He says if there was only one video he could take from the set and do it every day it would be this one. So, I have to be honest, my core is my #1 trouble area in my body. I don't have a core. I am these strong legs and arms melded together by a bowl of jello. I think I like it that way. I obviously need to do this video many, many more times. But, it was such hard work.

And, then, the worst thing ever happened. My boyfriend decided we were moving on to do our second video on the day immediately after this one. Immediately after the hardest workout I've done in my life. (Okay, second hardest. I did a pilates class one time where I couldn't get out of bed the next day... but still!)

THIS was my lesson for why I should NEVER skip a day. Lesson learned.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #34  

Day 24 - Week 4 Day 3 - Kenpo

I was DEAD before we even started this video. Luckily, I really like Kenpo. I pulled out my heart rate monitor, but it's dead. I need to get a new battery for the watch I'm thinking.

I put everything I had (which admittedly was not much) into this video. I was sweaty, gross and tuckered out, but we did the entire thing from start to finish. Even the warm ups were tough work! I felt like I could barely lift my arms. However, about 25 minutes in I was getting my second wind.

Based on this experience, I have decided that I cannot do the doubles program!! Who could do all of that working out? 120 minutes of butt kicking workout should not happen. Ever. Uuugh.

But, I am done now! And, we are caught up. Tomorrow - THANKFULLY - is stretching. I'm so happy about that. And, I really need it.

I will say, my boyfriend has been a real trouper the last few days. (Does he read these posts?) He's had ZERO complaining and has really pushed me. Now, THAT is the kind of workout partner you need for a workout series like this.

Btw, I weighed myself yesterday. I am down to 147.5! So, That is 6 lbs. lost in less than 4 weeks from the program. Wow!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #35  

Day 25 - Week 4 Day 4 - Stretching

Well, back to the 5am workouts. It was easy to get up this morning, since I knew I would be stretching. There were some gripes from the peanut gallery next to me, but overall it was a pretty chill session.

I feel like I'm re-earning the same stretch over and over. I exhale and stretch a little bit further and I can touch my toes... but then the next time I do the stretch it's the same thing. I have to do all of that exhaling and stretching to get back to those toes. When will I just be able to touch my toes and work on stretching to my heel?

My hamstrings are sooooooooooo tight. I'm sure more water intake would help but I'm still rather depressed about my lack of flexibility? How long until I can stretch like Shawna?!

Anyway, though, I love stretching and really enjoyed the morning. I didn't weight myself today. I had a pretty horrible weekend as far as food choices go. My 30 day pictures will be taking this coming weekend, so I've decided that every day this week has to be PERFECT calorie wise. Wish me luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #36  

Day 26 - Week 4 Day 5 - Core Synergistics

My boyfriend and I took off work today. Amongst our chores, we still managed to pop in the video at around 9:30 this morning. This video is HARD. It was hard the first time and it's hard the second time. The push ups are so much more complicated than what we were doing before.

And, banana! I can't straighten my legs. My boyfriend can just fine, so this is obviously a problem with me... but I struggle so much with banana. I wish he would give us modified moves for this. I think bending the legs will work, because at least I feel something in my abs when I do that. Otherwise it hurts my lower back because I'm arching my back and clenching my butt to keep my legs straight and off the ground. I don't think that's the part I'm working out?

Anyway, though, I had sweat DRIPPING off of my face! It was gross. I know it's warmer in my house, but I think this video is just a serious butt kicker. I'm so happy to have it done! I haven't done this video yet first thing in the morning. No part of me can imagine waking up to this video. It'll happen some day, though.

Anyhoo, yoga tomorrow. I'll have to bag tomorrow's lunch today since I'll have less time in the morning due to 90 minutes of exercise.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #37  

Day 27 - Week 4 Day 6 - Yoga

I'm not sure why, but the vinyasas were a little more difficult today. Even getting into upward dog felt like I weighed 100 lbs. more than I do.

I started out super stiff. My hamstrings were so tight and my breathing up to a flat back was pretty pointless because I was pretty much at flat back anyway! Lol.

I worked up a sweat during the first half, which I always do. I didn't even attempt wheel today. And, crane was pretty sad. My royal dancer is perfect now, though.

I did stretch out by the end. I actually do think I'm making progress down my foot from the toe touches. That's especially impressive considering I could not even touch my toes when I started P90X.

I weighed in this morning at 149.5. omg. I had coffee, water and did yoga and weighed in at 148.5. It makes zero sense! Official weigh in day is Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up not losing at all (maybe even a gain?). I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Hey, I was just curious since I've been keeping up with your journal...

How are you guys eating? Are you following the plan Horton sets out for you, or are you trying to go by your own book? I'm having a hard time balancing it out for myself. I've tried eating more and eating less and I've gone from 212 to bouncing around up to 215.

I realize this has to do with the weight training, but I'm expecting to loose at least a pound off of what I was before I started, you know?
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 148/141.2/117

Height: 5' 6"

What are the calorie counts and/or food menus on the p90X plan?
Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #40  

I did a lot of research on the diet plan and saw several women who stated Horton's plan is way too many calories. From what I've read, women in general don't have a ton of weight loss with P90X unless they do doubles. So, I decided to do calorie counting.

Now, I caution that I am not perfect with my calories. But, all said and done, I am probably averaging 1600 a day. I think that's a really, very honest assessment. I would probably have much better weight loss results if I dropped it down to 1400. I'm just really, really struggling with that.

I am very cautious to make sure that I'm consuming a lot of protein. I swap dinners between fish and chicken. Lunch is either tuna or turkey/chicken sandwiches. And, breakfast is often an egg sandwich unless I opt for oatmeal. I do a lot of yogurts, cottage cheese, string cheese. I think it's really important to get the protein in with all of the weights.

I don't think P90X classic is really geared toward weight loss. It's more geared toward fitness. If you are in this to lose weight you should probably do the lean program and do your own calorie counting diet. I'm somewhere in between.

Gigi, there are three phases to the P90X nutrition plan. http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/200...lan-made-easy/
That link should answer most of your questions. For the record, it puts me at a 2400 calorie diet. I mean, there is no way! I don't think I'd ever lose weight with that.

Finally, to be fair, though I've only dropped 5 lbs., it's only been four weeks. There's no shame in losing a little over a pound a week. And, if I'm being really honest, I had already started counting calories a bit prior to starting P90X so I missed out on the first week of water weight shedding, etc. Further, I know for a fact my body composition is changing. I'm seeing ever so slight indentions of muscle in my arms and legs. Plus, I am fitting into my skinny jeans! There is something to be said for fitness even if it's not getting me to my weight loss goals as fast as I thought it would.

I'm strongly considering P90X doubles. You don't start it until the second phase anyway, which begins tomorrow for me. I know that will help me with my weight loss goals. I'll let you ladies know what I decide to do. I hope this information helps?

Last edited by Amberelise; 05-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #41  

Day 28 - Week 4 Day 7 - Stretching

Wow was today easy! By now my body is completely used to waking up at 5am. The alarm went off and I considered just sleeping in, but realized I was honestly pretty awake. So, I popped out of bed and prepared for my morning stretch.

I will say, I am oddly stiff today. Maybe I slept wrong? My neck muscles and upper back just seemed a little tight. And, as always my hamstrings were tight. By the end of stretching my hammies were fine - I made it half way down my foot on the single leg stretch! But, my neck still feels a little stiff. I'm not sure why I am stiff today considering yesterday was yoga!

I know that you are allowed to skip the stretch day and just do nothing according to the plan. But, I have to tell you, I REALLY think the stretch day is a treat. I know it's 60 minutes of your day, but it's like going to the spa. You would take 60 minutes out of the day to go to a spa wouldn't you? I mean, this is something you do for yourself. It really does help you feel great. Haha, it's by far my favorite video! Though, you heard it here first, I think yoga is REALLY growing on me.

Not a lot to report because stretching is just stretching. I will say that I'm ready to get going on phase II. This rest week has me feeling like I've been lazy. I am ready to put in some hard work and start seeing more results!

Pictures and measurements on Saturday. I am praying that I see a difference. (I think I will.) I will post my beginning and 30 day photos here! I checked the scale this morning and it was 148.5. Arrrgh. The weight loss is definitely not where I want it to be. What do you ladies think? Should I attempt doubles??? I have to decide soon.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #42  

Day 29 - Week 5 Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Ab Ripper X

Wow! What a video. This really reminded me of day 1. I spent more time just staring at them working out than I did actually working out. Those push ups are so hard!!!!! I really, really worked myself to failure today. My arms were shaking at one point. Okay, okay, honestly I think I could've eeked out a few more of a few of the push ups because I did them ALL on my knees, but it was still a good work out.

They aren't kidding you when they say you're working your triceps. Holy cow. In fact, I felt like I did a lot of working out on my triceps and a bit on my shoulders, but I'm worried my chest didn't get as much workout as I would like. I guess I'll feel it tomorrow and know.

My favorite push up was the flop around on the ground like a fish out of water! Okay, technically he calls it the one arm push up - but my version was the fish out of water. I DIDN'T DO A SINGLE ONE!!! Oh, I tried, too. Haha.

There is no need for your heavier weights today. I didn't do a single rep with my 12 lbs. and I even used my 5 lbs. on a few. I will say that I think weights are FAR more effective than the bands. I would only do bands if you're a frequent traveler. I realize weights are more expensive and take up more space at your house, but they are definitely worth it.

As far as Ab Ripper X, I did really great today! I'm a little surprised since it's been a week since the last Ab Ripper. But, I did EVERYTHING and in proper form. I only got 12 reps each in on the side moves, but I did both legs for the first time ever. I did the v-ups flawlessly. Oh My Gosh are they hard!!!!!! And, I did all 50 mason twists. Yay!

Tonight is our reward for completing the first 30 days. (Well, tomorrow is day 30, but close enough.) We're going to The Peninsula hotel and getting a couples massage at the spa. Ahhhhhhhhh, so excited.

Also, 30 day photos and measurements are tonight. We have my boyfriends kids tomorrow, and technically it's been exactly 30 days since our last photo and measurements. I weighed myself this morning and was at 148.5 still. Boooooo. PLUS, I realized that my starting weight for P90X was taken in the evening and was 153.5. Therefore, I will likely be higher when I weigh myself tonight. That is a little depressing, but it is what it is. I'm wearing some pants I haven't worn in over a year so I KNOW I'm making a difference. Society should really put less emphasis on the scale!

Last edited by Amberelise; 05-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 148/141.2/117

Height: 5' 6"

One arm push-ups are totally overrated.
Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #44  

Haha. Maybe... but it's my goal to do one by the end of P90!!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 196/154.4/130

Height: 5'2

Amberelise,

I've been watching your post since I started Turbo Fire with my sister, who's also a member of the board. Your dedication is really making me re-think P90x as an option after I get done with Turbo Fire.

Good luck with the rest of the program and those one-arm push ups.
petitefleur is offline   Reply With Quote