Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/122/119

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Upper upper thigh fat

I know spot reduction isn't really possible but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on reducing upper upper thigh fat or perhaps on just improving the leg contour. My upper thighs are quite toned - until the top where they bulge in like crazy (also very flabby). I have some saddlebag issues as well. I guess if I cut weight it would go away but as a featherweight that's not so easy. Anyone have any success with certain exercises/foods? Thanks!
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #2  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I would love to know the answer to this as well.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I think you answered your own question. Targeted spot reduction isn't possible. Unfortunately the tendency to store fat in certain areas is just part of our body compositions. If you haven't always had fat preferentially stored in those areas maybe it will reduce as you continue to lose fat - but if you've always had fat there it will probably be the last to go! I think you should just keep doing what you're doing - watching what you eat, running or whatever, lifting weights - and try to focus on the success you have enjoyed.

It seems like your weight is already quite low for your height. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? You may not really have any more room to lose without experiencing other health effects. Or if you body fat percentage is still high (for your weight) focus on building muscle while you lose a little more fat.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
I think you answered your own question. Targeted spot reduction isn't possible. Unfortunately the tendency to store fat in certain areas is just part of our body compositions. If you haven't always had fat preferentially stored in those areas maybe it will reduce as you continue to lose fat - but if you've always had fat there it will probably be the last to go! I think you should just keep doing what you're doing - watching what you eat, running or whatever, lifting weights - and try to focus on the success you have enjoyed.

It seems like your weight is already quite low for your height. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? You may not really have any more room to lose without experiencing other health effects. Or if you body fat percentage is still high (for your weight) focus on building muscle while you lose a little more fat.
I agree with everything said here.

FWIW, at your weight, I would talk to a health professional before trying to lose any. Now, I can understand trying to drop your body fat but since you are already at the very low end of your BMI it'll be much healthier for you to do so through heavy weight lifting, eating well (I wouldn't actually cut your calories at all and if anything eat slightly more protein on days you are lifting), and drinking lots of water.

Check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are exercise routines there for 6 months and that can really help to tone you up. There are also recipes and it discusses nutrition when you are trying to decrease your body fat percentage (and not necessarily your body weight).

The reality is you might just be built with thighs like that but weight lifting will certainly tone them up more and give you a more cut look.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/122/119

Height: 5'7.5"

Thanks guys. I'll check that book out. I've been slacking on weight training/pilates for awhile. I'll see what they say about nutrition too. I don't have a specific plan (nor do I count calories) but I generally eat healthier now (whole grains, salads, fish more often at restaurants etc.) but my vice is candy/cookies of which I shamefacedly consume 300-500 kcal per day (out of an estimated 2500 kcal). Everything was in proportion until I lost weight and my thighs are quite toned until the very top. Did this happen to anyone else, a change in body shape with weight loss?
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
Thanks guys. I'll check that book out. I've been slacking on weight training/pilates for awhile. I'll see what they say about nutrition too. I don't have a specific plan (nor do I count calories) but I generally eat healthier now (whole grains, salads, fish more often at restaurants etc.) but my vice is candy/cookies of which I shamefacedly consume 300-500 kcal per day (out of an estimated 2500 kcal). Everything was in proportion until I lost weight and my thighs are quite toned until the very top. Did this happen to anyone else, a change in body shape with weight loss?
Besides the cookies, it sounds like your diet is great. One thing my nutritionist told me to do when it comes to sweets is NEVER keep anything in the house. I'm allowed one treat per week but I have to eat just one serving and I have to buy something packed in just that serving size (so I'm not taking more home with me). It's worked really well because I used to buy a large chocolate bar with the idea in mind that I'd eat on serving but then the whole thing would disappear!

I think it's fairly normal for your body shape to change or that you lose elsewhere besides just one spot. With the last 10lbs or so I've lost a lot from my legs/arms/back but not from my waist so my waist looks much more noticeable. Such is life.

Definitely work on weight lifting. That's really what will help when it comes to body fat.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #7  

Thanks for this thread. I joined the board at 145 pounds (5 feet 5 in) and in the past four months have made it down to 128, mostly following the Mediterranean diet and swimming laps. But I still have 41 inch hips.

Annie in Texas
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Oh, my saddlebags have always been wider than my hips. I have lost 5 inches off my hips and but only 3" off my saddlebags. When you find a way to blast them away, please let me know. I am trying to do more lunges and squats and walk on an incline but I am not yet seeing any difference
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote