Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

As far as I could tell, my ex-boyfriend had sleep apnoea. He was 20 at the time, rail-thin, didn't snore, he just kept stopping breathing all through the night. He was also a borderline alcoholic. So I wouldn't discount sleep apnoea just yet. He wasn't aware that he was stopping breathing, though, I was the one who kept on being worried by it.

When you say that you keep waking up through the night, do you have any idea why? Needing to urinate? Does this happen more in the summer, and if so how dark is your bedroom? I'm far enough north that we only get 4-5 hours of true darkness midsummer, and I often get woken up by even a small amount of light. Good website on sleep problems here, by the way.

There are oodles of potential reasons for fatigue, and a doctor will need to go through quite a lot and still may not find a diagnosis. The alcohol is certainly standing out as a possibility right now, though. Remember that student drinking is usually at such high levels that alcoholism is considered perfectly normal in the student communities, and even slightly less drinking than your average student can still be way off into the problem drinking range. Binge-drinking 2-3 nights per week is considered problem drinking and may be considered alcoholism.

You also sound too tired to be safe to drive. Sorry to say that, and I know it's a right pain, but it's better than having a car crash. People with untreated sleep apnoea past a certain level aren't permitted to drive, and frankly I think the regulations should be tighter and specifically include other medical conditions which cause that much fatigue. If you're this exhausted, get buses, taxis or lifts for a while. It may be pricier, but your life is worth it.

Something I really hope you don't have, and probably haven't been ill long enough to be diagnosed with (usually 6 months minimum), is CFIDS. It's a neuro-immune disorder which causes extreme fatigue amongst other symptoms, including alcohol intolerance. I've had it for 14 years and am severely affected. Hopefully you don't have it, but to be on the safe side, you should start resting more, because if you do have CFIDS then running yourself into the ground by drinking lots and working when exhausted will make you substantially, and sometimes irreversibly, worse. Meanwhile, go to some CFIDS websites, as they usually have great lists of other medical conditions which can cause chronic fatigue, and get checked out for everything on those lists.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
As far as I could tell, my ex-boyfriend had sleep apnoea. He was 20 at the time, rail-thin, didn't snore, he just kept stopping breathing all through the night. He was also a borderline alcoholic. So I wouldn't discount sleep apnoea just yet. He wasn't aware that he was stopping breathing, though, I was the one who kept on being worried by it.

When you say that you keep waking up through the night, do you have any idea why? Needing to urinate? Does this happen more in the summer, and if so how dark is your bedroom? I'm far enough north that we only get 4-5 hours of true darkness midsummer, and I often get woken up by even a small amount of light. Good website on sleep problems here, by the way.

There are oodles of potential reasons for fatigue, and a doctor will need to go through quite a lot and still may not find a diagnosis. The alcohol is certainly standing out as a possibility right now, though. Remember that student drinking is usually at such high levels that alcoholism is considered perfectly normal in the student communities, and even slightly less drinking than your average student can still be way off into the problem drinking range. Binge-drinking 2-3 nights per week is considered problem drinking and may be considered alcoholism.

You also sound too tired to be safe to drive. Sorry to say that, and I know it's a right pain, but it's better than having a car crash. People with untreated sleep apnoea past a certain level aren't permitted to drive, and frankly I think the regulations should be tighter and specifically include other medical conditions which cause that much fatigue. If you're this exhausted, get buses, taxis or lifts for a while. It may be pricier, but your life is worth it.

Something I really hope you don't have, and probably haven't been ill long enough to be diagnosed with (usually 6 months minimum), is CFIDS. It's a neuro-immune disorder which causes extreme fatigue amongst other symptoms, including alcohol intolerance. I've had it for 14 years and am severely affected. Hopefully you don't have it, but to be on the safe side, you should start resting more, because if you do have CFIDS then running yourself into the ground by drinking lots and working when exhausted will make you substantially, and sometimes irreversibly, worse. Meanwhile, go to some CFIDS websites, as they usually have great lists of other medical conditions which can cause chronic fatigue, and get checked out for everything on those lists.
Thank you so much for caring enough to write all of that out. I do agree that today's students/teenagers "acceptable" drinking is borderline a drinking problem. I know this because I grew up in a high school where it was normal to start drinking as a freshman; heavily. Luckily I have a strong personality and will power and am able to stop. I have stopped drinking for about 1.5 weeks and am starting to feel MUCH better. I think my sleeping problems are from 9 years of drinking. And binge drinking. I think if I keep my drinking to almost non exsistent, I will find that I start sleeping better and getting my energy back.

Im sorry to hear you have been having to deal with CFIDS for son long! I looked up a website on CFIDS though and while I do have a lot of the symptoms, I still believe my problem is a result of lack of sleep and heavy drinking. If I dont feel 100% back to myself again in about a month of this, then I might reconsider getting checked. So thank you for the consideration and trying to help me out! Ill keep yall posted

Last edited by Dianne042425; 06-29-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #18  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

So glad you decided to curtail the drinking!

I didn't want to go "all Mom" on ya - so I didn't respond with what I was thinking! Here's to good health and a long and glorious life!!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
So glad you decided to curtail the drinking!

I didn't want to go "all Mom" on ya - so I didn't respond with what I was thinking! Here's to good health and a long and glorious life!!
hah thank you for your concern. I got enough mom talk from my mom when I told her about my problems lately. Shes not a big drinker at all and was surprised/upset to hear how much I have been drinking. Eeeekk! Yes, seriously, CHEERS to being healthy and FEELING healthy!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #20  
Scotch

S/C/G: 146/146/128

Height: 5'5.5"

I totally agree with the others -try cutting down on the drinking. By isolating that one factor you will get a fairly definitive answer.

And, to make you feel better, I have gone through the same thing recently. I had all the same tests - thyroid, vitamin deficiency, etc. I get so completely drained that I almost feel like I'm going to pass out.

I've decided that with the help of 3FC and diet (forcing me to be healthier in food and habit) I will feel better. If not, I am not going to let it go. There has got to be a reason. So....I completely understand your situation.

All the best and feel better!!!
scotchcanada is offline   Reply With Quote