Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/129/115

Height: 5'4"

Default 14lbs to lose!

Hey all!! I'm new to the forums! I have 14lbs to lose, and I would like to lose these by the 23rd of april. So thats like 9 weeks I think! So that is about an average of 1.5lbs a week! The last time I weighed myself I was 129lbs at 5'4". I actually think this is the heaviest I have ever been and I'm really not happy at all at this weight!! My ultimate goal is 115lbs. I have a problem with binge eating, that has come about from restrictive diets I've been on to lose the weight. My goal is to never ever binge again..it is horrible!!
So my plan is to eat between 1500-1800 cals a day. I won't be counting excessively more guesstimating just to keep an eye on it. I plan on eating only whole, unprocessed food, consisting of a good mix between carbs, protein, good fats and calcium! I will be going to the gym 3-4 times a week, I usually do an hour cardio. I don't know what to do with weights??!

So thats my plan, do you guys think I will be able to lose on this amount of calories? This forum is a great support, I hope to check in regularly to help me in my journeys!!

Last edited by Lozz; 02-28-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Lozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Welcome, but I think you meant 23rd of April, right? I think counting calories diligently in the beginning will give you a lot of information regarding the amount you should aim for because then, if you don't lose, you'll have some idea of what you've been consuming. Or, you could try to guesstimate and if that works, then that's even better!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I've tried to "guesstimate" in the past and it never worked for me. I'd just count rigorously to learn good portion sizing habits, and once you've learned them, you can guess for life. 1500 sounds like a good amount to be eating with your goal -- it's pretty ambitious. You'll want to be at about 1200-1300 net cals, and depending on intensity, you can subtract 300-400 or so per hour of cardio, so at 3 hours that's 1000/7 = 140ish, or 1360 net calories per day, which is a reasonable-but-not-intense level of loss.

At that level, though, you're not likely to make it by the end of March... 1.5 lbs per week is a pretty high deficit to be going for at your weight, and it's not going to be doable when you're eating 1500-1800 a day and only do 3 hrs/week of exercise.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8

We do have a similar goal - quit binge eating! I know that if I never binged again, that I would lose and keep off the weight, because I eat really well every other time. My bingeing came from restrictive dieting and obsessively calorie counting. But, gaining knowledge of calories through counting, I am able to ear correct portions by "guessing."
Time to take care of our bodies!

Do you belong to a gym? I have a trainer now once or twice a week, but before I did I used to watch trainers with other people to pick up on different strength training techniques. I also watch videos to get a good idea of what kind of workouts I can do.

The best of luck to you!
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #5  

Oh yes of course I meant the 23rd of April...how silly!! I know tater tash, I also believe bingeing is my main problem!! Other than that I eat quite healthily and exercise well!! I am joined to a gym, only with a week or so! its a really good gym though and I enjoy going there! I don't have a trainer though, as I prefer to work out by myself, without someone over my shoulder all the time!! lol! I want to steer clear of going to low with my calorie count as this in turn leads to a binge!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

We have very similar goals/height and current weight. Good luck, your plan sounds great! I am also working on a late night binge eating problem.... Good luck!
maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/143/137

Height: 6 ft.

I think you can do it if you are a teensy bit more restrictive (i.e. keeping your calories more around 1300-1500). Have you tried MyPlate calorie tracker? I love it. It really helps to keep me accountable throughout the day. They also have mobile apps if you're not in front of your computer all day.

I, too am trying to stop binging. Since I joined this board about three weeks ago I really cut down on binging. I'm not over the hump yet, but I am much better than I was. So I think that by setting realistic goals for yourself, you can do it!

Good luck!
letsgorunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #8  

Thanks for the support guys! Ya I'm already thinking that maybe my calories are too high for weight loss..I think I may just be maintaining!! But as I said I don't want to be too restrictive either... its a fine balance!! I will weigh myself on Monday to see how I am progressing, and if I do not see a weight loss I will then cut back my calories a little further!! I don't feel like I've lost any weight yet, but I always look for fast results and I have to start realising that losing weight slowly is better!! I have not binged since I've joined the forum either!! Here's hoping I can continue!!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #9  

So I weighed myself this morning and I was exactly the same!!! Still 129!!! So I think I am going to take your advice and be a little bit more restricitve with my calories. I am now thinking of eating between 1300-1500, thats not too restrictive I guess??!! I will also be counting cals..not just guesstimating...as that clearly didn't work...! :/ I guess since I don't get to do that much exercise, that amount of calories should be enough!! I may also post what I eat here to get peoples feedback!!

P.S. How do you guys get that weight loss tracker on your posts??!! I can't figure it out.....
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hey there! My weight loss journey was also to lose 14 lbs, and around the same height as you. The first 4 lbs came off easily by cutting out junk food and counting calories. I'm in the process of losing the next lb but it's been INCREDIBLY slow. I've started to be extremely rigorous about portion size and calorie counting- no cheating with bites here and there and actually measuring when I can. I think it's working. I'm currently at 1200 a day and it's really difficult to keep under that. I usually end up around 1300-1500. I have to keep my exercise light though at this low calorie range. I usually only do 1-2 intense workouts a week, with the rest being lighter yoga or walking. I'm also having to be super careful about where I decide to "spend" my calories- there is no room for empty calories when you're only allowed 1200 a day!

Yes, actually counting cals and MEASURING should make a big difference. Even just guesstimating 100 under your actual intake each meal can add up to an extra 300 a day- a big difference in how slowly/quickly you will lose.

I'm anticipating my loss of these 10 lbs to take quite a while- at least a few months. I imagine I'll lose anywhere between 1-3 lbs a month. My goal is to get to 125 by May, or lose 5 lbs in 3 months.

Good luck with your weight loss. Hopefully we can share in the challenges and successes of our 14 lbs together

PS You can get a "signature" including a ticker when you post 20 posts and have been active for something like 20 days. The option to "Edit Signature" will appear on your User CP.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #11  

Thanks indiblue...I better get posting so!!! Best of luck with your own weightloss journey too!! I think I will write down exactly what I eat for the first week or two also and I think I will weigh myself everyday to keep myself on track! I definately think I will start measuring things also!! looking forward to seeing some decent results!!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Good luck! Don't be discouraged if the last few lbs are stubborn. I had my first 10 or so lbs come off fairly quick, but I've been stuck at 126/127 forever... trying to play around with my diet to see if anything gets the scale moving again!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #13  

Thank you!! I hope the first 10lbs come off as quick as yours did!!

So here's my eats for the day!!

B: bowl of bran flakes with skim milk-250cals
2 slices of wholegrain toast-250cals ( I like big breakfasts!! )

L: chicken and vegetable soup- 450cals

S: 1 stick of a kit kat- 55cals

D: 1/2 slice of brown bread with 1/2 tin of WW beans - 300cals

S: 2 chocolate covered brazil nuts-100cals.

Total: 1450 cals.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #14  

Weighed in this morning at 128.8!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #15  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Lozz, it looks like most of your calories are coming from fats & carbs. You should try tracking on FitDay or LoseIt for the trends analysis of what you're eating and how it all breaks down -- it's so motivating to have goals other than to NOT eat X number of calories (I aim for 30g fiber, 80g protein, and as low carb as I can, for example). If you can generally reduce chocolate items (I see two!) and limit your sugar & grain intake, you might find this more sustainable in the long run. Otherwise, a great on-plan day!
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote