Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #106  

Height: 5'3

Hey, go figure... throw some exercise in and i'm over the hump!

Neurodoc- We have 3 as well. My kids are over it by now but I also make a point to buy them snacks that I don't like and won't be tempted by. We don't allow them to drink soda at all and we only drink it once in a while when we eat out (but we both prefer tea). I think that's why I'm loving this diet so much. It makes that all less hassle because I can have whatever I'm going to feed them.

I'm getting excited. The Dr. that came up with Fast-5 says you probably won't start losing weight till 3 weeks in when you adjust to the diet. I'm nearing my 3 week mark and I'm already down 7 pounds so if this gets any easier, I'll be at my goal in no time!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post

Dianne, yes, my name is Andrea. What the heck is a 2934290384 plan? It looks like a phone number with area code! Good on you for coming back to your diet commitment.
haha I was being facetious and saying this is like my millionth attempt at starting a diet
Old 09-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 144/122.4/healthy for life

Height: 5' 7.5"

My clothes don't fit--none of them!!!!!!
I have to go SHOPPING!!!!!!!! This is the best reason to go shopping ever, hands down!
I went to put my "used-to-be-a-tiny-bit-tight" blue pants on this morning, thinking SURELY they'd fit.
Not even close. Falling off my butt.
My one pair of "tight" jeans from last semester fit loosely, and my skirts that used to sit at my waist now sit on my hips; everything else falls off!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftwelve View Post
My clothes don't fit--none of them!!!!!!
I have to go SHOPPING!!!!!!!! This is the best reason to go shopping ever, hands down!
I went to put my "used-to-be-a-tiny-bit-tight" blue pants on this morning, thinking SURELY they'd fit.
Not even close. Falling off my butt.
My one pair of "tight" jeans from last semester fit loosely, and my skirts that used to sit at my waist now sit on my hips; everything else falls off!
:co ngrat:
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

I am finally back in the 140s! I am so excited. I haven't been in the 140s for like 3 years now. I am so close to my halloween challenge I can almost taste it.

I hear ya Dianne about starting a diet, it seems like it's been 50 times over the past three years but finally I just said enough is enough and I've got to make healthier choices I can't keep cheating the system like I've been trying to do.

Thank you for all your inspirations featherweights. It has really really helped me get back into the game.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #111  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
Emma I'm probably going to get yelled at for saying this but I truly believe that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. If your goal is to just lose weight and become a smaller you, then you really only need to focus on diet. ...
Yeah, that's what I've heard! And my experience, as well. Last year, I was running 3x/week, going to BodyPump classes 3x/week, was strong... and basically didn't lose any weight. It wasn't until I focused on diet (going lower-carb rather than straight calorie-counting) that I dropped ~ 10 lbs over a few months. I went back to Phase 1 of South Beach for the first two weeks in September and lost nearly 4 lbs, which is SO HUGE for me... so although my diet is always a work in progress, I feel pretty good that I am eating the healthiest diet possible for me right now and still losing slooooooowly ... I'm not sure what else to change to increase the rate of loss, but I am always exploring new ideas. Too many new ideas probably.

I was just looking at some photos of myself when I weighed 127-129 lbs. I looked good size-wise but was very soft. My body fat has always been high. So I reasoned that I need more intense cardio than just walking and yoga to get myself "in shape". I probably don't need much strength-training beyond the yoga for now, it kicks my butt and leaves me all noodle-y. But progress is being made in this area as well... my husband just pointed out my visible triceps the other day.

Eh, who knows. I'll report in after I meet with the personal trainer...

Crap -tomorrow is October 1 and I am supposed to start running. I better get a schedule going or it will be November before I've ever laced up my shoes.

SweetyKins - the 140s is good! I spent a lot of time there recently and just dipped into the 130s this month. Congratulations!

Oneoftwelve - I hope to go shopping soon, too - in my giant drawer of "too small clothes". SUCH a good feeling to move down a size, so much more tangible than the number on the scale.

Neurodoc - for immediately getting it back together

Changed - your progress is truly inspirational. Maybe I should try South Beach/Superfoods/Fast 5 while starting C25K again

Amy - You are one of the reasons I want to start running (again?) - we are the same height and ~ the same age and my dream goal is to be where you are... just 15-20 tiny pounds away ... I need to go through the Beck process for real. I just kind of dabbled and got excited about it but have obviously let it slip away...

On to live my healthy day! A healthy day to all of you -
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #112  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

I'm getting impatient. I know nothing's instant but in my head eating very clean for almost a whole week and faithfully exercising should equal a tangible loss from Monday to Friday...but the scale hasn't budged.

I know it's not all about the scale and I know it'll be a challenge to lose the rest of the weight I want, but I'm a little disappointed! How do you guys deal with said disappointment (though it sounds like you're all making miraculously consistent progress...)?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #113  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Hello Feathers!

Yep, I've got three kids. My daughters are 7 and 5, and my son is 21 months old today! So funny that (at least) three of us who are posting here have three kids. I guess mine are too young to gripe much about what other kids eat/have/do. They haven't even asked to go to Disney and the girls totally went through a princess phase. They see me drink soda but I just tell them it's a grown-up drink. I really must be sure to enjoy this while it lasts.

Oneoftwelve, congrats on your success! I have to say, while I am loving the weight loss, the "nothing fits" is driving me crazy. Yesterday I pulled on last year's skinny cords, the ones I could barely squeeze into (and only for part of the winter at that) and they are too big. I had to belt them and, darn it, they just weren't skinny anymore. Same with two pairs of jeans I splurged on last year. Now what? I've looked into the consignment store thing -- would love to find one that has a large selection of designer jeans so I could unload mine and get some new. I think I wore one pair maybe twice.

Sweetykins, congrats on reaching the 140s! So rewarding to break through a barrier! Your 5K is coming up, too. So many cool things going on for you.

I second what Chelsey said -- definitely 80% diet. It takes me at least an hour of running to burn maybe 550 calories -- but I can eat that in a minute! I need to buckle down on the food end as well.

Krampus, don't get frustrated yet -- five days is not nearly enough to see real progress on the scale. Even if you create a 700 calorie deficit each day, adding up to one pound over the 5 days, you still might not see it on the scale due to so many other factors. It will come if you stick to your plan! What are you doing in Japan? Are you Air Force (I think there's a base in Fukuoka). It looks like you aren't far from Kyoto -- have you been there? It is my absolute favorite place in the world! If I could live anywhere, it would be there without a second's doubt. Or Japan in general. My husband's in the Navy and I always lobby for Yokusuka but the job there (for what he does) is not good.

I had a crazy day today due to baseball game last night (would have been OK foodwise if it weren't for the peanuts, but darn it, it's un-American to not eat peanuts at a baseball game!), torrential rain today, and my younger daughter whining, "My head itches!" right after school today. Yep. Lice. Nasty, nasty, nasty. So we had to do the whole nine yards with washing heads, combing with a lice comb, changing bedlinens, quarantining the stuffed animals, etc. And we get to do it again tomorrow... and again the next day... and again... and again... argh! This also means I can't go to the gym tomorrow. Bummer.

Hope everyone has a good, healthful, and parasite-free Friday!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #114  
Staying the Same

Ah, Yokusuka...Sasebo is good too (and dangerous - it's famous for the "Sasebo Burger" which is anything but healthy) for Navy!

I'm actually pretty far from Kyoto - Fukuoka is on the far western end, about 2 hours by train from Sasebo which is the farthest west JR train station in Japan. I'm teaching English with the JET Program working at a high school. Only been to Kyoto once; it's a unique place for sure but since I am young and hedonistic I vastly prefer the hustle and bustle of Osaka!

I know everything takes time. I'm just another impatient young thing who wants everything RIGHT NOW.

Sorry to hear about the lice. May the rest of your family's heads stay safe. I'm sure stressing and combing burns just as many calories as working out in a gym!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #115  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Krampus, soooooo jealous. Seriously, I am a Nipponophile (or whatever the correct word is). A dear friend of mine did the JET program and taught somewhere rural-ish in Kanagawa Prefecture.

Is it hard for you to get western-style food where you are? I suppose a Japanese diet would be great for weight loss. We lived in Okinawa for a year. We lived off-base and I did a lot of my shopping at local markets, but it was nice to be able to go to the commissary when I wanted affordable beef or the comfort of oatmeal, ya know? Okinawa is so different from mainland Japan, though -- so, can I say it again? I'm jealous!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #116  
Staying the Same

A Japanese diet can be fatal for weight loss! I gained some weight after moving here because I fell into the all-too-common trap of "Japanese women are thin and they eat white rice, therefore rice has no calories."

Western style food is a bit scarce but there are some import grocery stores speckled throughout the prefecture, and there is a Costco. I can't say I really use them as much as I should. Usually when I cook, I make simple stir fries with tofu and vegetables or pasta.

I've never visited Okinawa but I really want to. It looks beautiful and I've never been anywhere tropical before!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #117  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Here is the October Feathers thread See you there!
Closed Thread