Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #1  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Default Planning and Chat - March 9 - 15

Well I see there wasn't a weekly thread last week so let's try again.

I am flitting between here and maintainers. I have been maintaining since September last year when I hit my goal of 140. Since then I lost a further 5 lb by Christmas to get to 135. I have since been hovering around 137 which I was quite pleased with but I have decided to further revise my goal downwards and aim for 126.

This would be 9 stone in English and would give me a BMI of 21. If I lose half a pound a week I would be at my goal on the 17th August, which is the same day we go away to Spain on holiday!

I think that's quite a doable goal but I have to stick to it.

I also started running again today after a few weeks off with an explained stomach upset. I am running a 10K on the 10th May so training for that should help.

So come on fellow feathers - where are you all hiding?
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

I'm kind of in a discouraged patch. I've been stuck between 143-144 since just before Valentine's Day. I have exercised for between 1 & 2.5 hours / day & eaten 1400-1500 daily - and the scale JUST WON'T MOVE!

I am trying this week to increase my protein %age & see if that helps - I've been worried about doing this b/c I am a serious volume eater & am afraid I won't feel full enough with this change - but we will see!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I wasn't quite sure I fit into the featherweight catagory, but I guess you guys won't kick me out if I'm a little too heavy, right?

I need to lose 21 lbs to make it to my ultimate goal weight (which I'm trying to reach by June 15th, which will give me a month's grace before my trip to Scotland). My next mini-goal is to reach normal BMI range by St Patrick's day.

I calorie count, keeping my average level around 1450. I do a variety of different exercises including walking, hula-hooping, and strength training circuits, trying to burn 700 additional calories per day. So in theory I should be losing about 1.8lbs a week, which puts me right on track.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #4  
MasterHarper

Montecristo, featherweight is a state of mind - if you feel like you are, then you are!!

The thing I find demotivating about being this weight is that the scales don't drop daily like they used to. Losing 1-2 lb a week, I almost invariably saw a drop every single day - now I don't and I find that hard going.

Not to mention the fact that my new spiffy body measuring scales don't measure in 0.1 increments like my old ones, but in 0.2 increments - I see a change even less often!

So this morning I was the same as yesterday. But I have to stick at it. I've done it before - I've successfully maintained for almost 7 months - I CAN lose this next 10 lbs.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Discouraged? Count me in!

I gained 10 pounds a year or so ago. I started running to try and take it off (without changing my diet). I didn't lose or gain (but my leg muscles did change so it was worth it). Then I had some minor surgery and stopped running. No weight gain until just recently when I managed to stack on another 10 pounds. Now I feel really frumpy and gross. I'm still in a healthy weight range, but I'm not comfortable with it.

So I'm re-committing (not that I ever really stopped). I do a very fast walk 5 times a week (2.25 miles in 30 minutes) and I'm going back to salads for lunch.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

ahhh. finally. I've been trying to get back here but it has been so quiet. I thought maybe I was the only "featherweight" Although technically I am overweight right now so not a featherweight either!

Alinnell, I am up about 20 lbs also. I slowly gained about 10 lbs while my son was cutting back on nursing and a bit of not too focused on my food (plenty of exercise). For some reason I have been really struggling with my food for the past year. I've kind of been in a vicious circle where if I DONT pay attention I gain slowly and if I pay attention I gain rapidly (bingy behavior). Something mental going on along with the cutback of my metabolic boost from nursing (I swear if I had known it was as much as it appears to be I would have kept pumping...although eventually I would have had to stop. It would be awkward to explain pumping breaks when your youngest is in highschool)

Anyway then after my marathon I decided to buckle down and LOSE the weight I had gained and in the last 3 months put on another 8 lbs.

I'm not sure what is going on with the bingy behavior. I've always struggled with it a little but not to this degree, and not when I am otherwise not showing too many depression indicators. A bit baffled as to why I am punishing myself in this manner.

3 of the 8 lbs were since I stopped running and then got bronchitis (you could say they are unrelated but the last time I was too injured to run was also the last time I had bronchitis this bad).

My doctors are baffled by this hamstring injury. My PT this morning is toying with the idea that it is nowhere near my hamstring but possibly in my fibula. We'll see. Meanwhile I am slow running 3-4 days a week and adding rowing machine the other days --seems to be the only cardio that doesnt piss off the leg, but I need to build hand and butt endurance up for it.

Well that was a novel. I feel like the wallflower in the corner who cant stop chatting once she realizes you are really talking to her.

MTA: yesterday plan 1800 cal, act 1809 exercise, am "run", full body weights, pm 30 min walk. 1 successful day in the bag.

Last edited by ennay; 03-10-2009 at 04:03 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

ennay~while I don't feel like any of my weight gain is due to binging, I can see where it could be a problem. I tend to just overeat. I really need to concentrate on weighing/measuring and skipping seconds.

So far today, I'm right on track.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

most of mine is just eating too much, but I definitely spin into eating more than I even want. Not classic binging, just frequently eating more than I want or need. I dont sit down and eat the package of oreos, but instead of one after lunch I have one or two at random times throughout the day until by the end of the day I may have had 6-10. Stuff like that.

Coupled with the occasional small scale classic binge. It is bizarre.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #9  

Robsia, wow, you are already so thin & beautiful - you are gonna be TINY!

Well, I am 2 days into my higher-protein eating plan...I really miss the higher quantities of food; however, I have managed without getting TOO hungry. Fingers crossed that the scale goes down - my goal WAS to see 139-point-something by St. Pat's day, which was totally reasonable at the time, & then I hit this stupid stall...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

im starting to think that these 10 pounds will never go! lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Su-Bee - I am a pretty high volume high protein gal. I usually can get super high volume if I really want to if I use enough veggies. And eggwhites. Eggwhites are awesome. I make an enormous eggwhite omelet every morning with almost a whole pan full of veggies.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #12  
MasterHarper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
Robsia, wow, you are already so thin & beautiful - you are gonna be TINY!
Thank you. But what you can't see under that corset is my flabby belly!! Anyway, my goal is only 4 lb less than yours!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 AM   #13  
MasterHarper

ennay - you ran a marathon? Wow - I am impressed. That is my goal for next year also.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #14  

Yes, egg whites are good stuff - but what you don't realize is that when I talk about being a "volume eater"...um, at 1400-1500 cals, between 800-1000 of those per day were coming from veggies & low cal fruits - and that is a LOT of veggies!

I think I realized how different my notion of "volume" is from other people's during a discussion on here about how many beans you'd consider it normal to eat if you didn't know the serving size was 1/2 cup...my answer was, easily 4 cups or more...

What can I say? I like to feel FULL!

But anyway - after 2 days of same calories, but very high protein, my a.m. weight today was 142.0, which is the lowest I've seen yet...so I guess I ought to stick with this for a while & see what I can do!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Oh yeah, me too. When I make an omelet I use about 4 cup of veggies in it. Salads are a huge dinner plate piled about 4 inches high. I'll use an entire bell pepper, an entire cucumber etc.

I wont go any lower in carbs than what lets me keep those veggies. Fruit I dont eat much of mostly because I sugar spike bad. I eat small portions of fruit at specific times.

Beans I do control my portions because they are higher caloric...I control any starchy veggie too. But I load up on the lower cal veggies. I'm the only person in my house who eats salad and I buy all my salad stuff at costco.

Robsia - I've run 3 marathons so far and was supposed to run Boston next month but I am injured. First really bad running injury ever.

Last edited by ennay; 03-11-2009 at 08:52 AM.