Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #1  
drmom

S/C/G: 107/107/103

Height: 5'

Question a working mom in need of help

How do I balance a 50+hr/week career as a physician with being a mom and a wife to a husband who works 80+hrs/week? It is exhausting and I am not the supermom. On weekends I seem to do very well but M-F I snack/ graze during the day to cope with the stress. Most of the snacks are healthy but they are excess calories that I do not need. I just want to feel physically fit and regain my energy. I should not complain since I worked 60-80 hours/week in my previous job. How should I deal with the grazing habit? It is so difficult to change this behavior. I usually inhale lunch in 5-10 minutes since work keeps me busy. I try to leave the office as soon as I see the last patient so I can pick up the baby/ make dinner/ do laundry/paperwork/ have a few minutes with my husband and then the day is over. I do a bit a exercise every morning but it is not enough to get me in shape and shed the extra pounds. Ladies, you understand how hard it is to lose 4-5 pounds -especially if you are short! Help!
drmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #2  
drmom

Perhaps walking up and down the stairs in the hospital will help...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was just at the doctor today seeking advice and now trying to give advice to drmom seems odd. But in retrospect we are all the same. We are mothers trying to earn a living and take care of our families. You, however, with your family and patients are taking care of everyone but you.

Try to find at least 30 minutes a day that is JUST FOR YOU. Whether you exercise, meditate, or read something inspirational. Take the time!

As far as the grazing, I tend to do it as well. But I make sure it's fruit or carrots or a low point granola bar (since I'm on WW).

I hope this helps because I am not a doctor and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I wish you much success!!

Last edited by crbowles; 01-24-2008 at 10:08 PM.
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is nothing wrong with grazing...it may be what your body needs to fuel you through your busy days! The key is to plan, plan, plan.

So you know that you're a grazer...fine! Can you pack some small snacks, most with some protein, some carb, and some fat to get you through? What if, instead of wolfing down a 500 calorie lunch and three 100 calorie snacks, you ate 4, 200-calorie "mini meals" with fiber and protein to keep you full? You'd get to graze (from your pre-packed, pre-measured snacks), and you'd still be perfectly on plan? There is some evidence that eating this way can help rev your metabolism.

Figure out how you work, and work with that. That's why no one weight loss solution works for everyone...our bodies and minds are so different that one thing might work for one and not for another.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Gosh, that sounds very draining. One of my very best friends is a doctor (GP) who, about three years ago, took a less desirable job (as the main physician at a university in her town) because, while she loved her job, she felt life was passing her by as she worked sooo many hours. She was able to have a really nice schedule - and was able to take time off for vacations, etc. very easily. It was a lot less money, but she is so much happier and less stressed and still lives very comfortably. It may not be an option for you - or it may not be your preference - but have you considered searching for a position where you could work fewer hours?

If that's not an option, I agree with Amanda's and CR's advice as well. Good luck to you!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree with Mandalinn. Don't fight the grazing, just plan for it in your calories. I have lost 35 lbs while still eating sometimes up to seven times per day. Sometimes I'm eating a small snack every hour during the afternoon. To allow room in my calorie plan for snacks, I keep my main meals smaller. I'm on 1200 calories per day right now, so I budget 200 calories for breakfast, 250 for lunch, 350 for dinner, which leaves 400 calories for snacks. Since you don't have a lot of time to eat lunch anyway, why not start by making that a smaller meal and plan snacks throughout the afternoon.

Other strategies I use to keep myself eating when it would mean going off-plan are to drink lots of zero calorie beverages (usually decaf hot tea or decaf coffee because I'm always cold), chew sugar-free gum, and suck on sugar-free hard candy.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

drmom .... I cannot imagine working that many hours ... But please do take some daily time for yourself.... When I used to just work a regular 35-40 hr week I was exhausted and since I could not afford a cleaning lady I would just let the dusting or vacuuming go for an extra week... It's not the end of the world I discovered and I was a much happier person... Everyone must set priorities and I came way before housework ...

I agree grazing is ok... I try not to graze constantly but every 2-3 hours only, with a portion of protein and unprocessed carb at each mini meal...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #8  
drmom

Red face working moms how do you do it?

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate the support! I just want to develop new habits -- many times the grazing is out of habit/ stress. It is comforting to reach for a bite but the 100 calorie snack can add up to 1000 over the course of a day. I've tries to track calories but it does take time and effort.

I know that it sounds silly to complain but whether you have 5 or 25 pounds to lose the issues are the same. I have a rewarding career and great family but I still struggle with energy and self-esteem issues.

Have to end... the hospital is calling!

drmom
Old 01-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Besides the grazing on healthy snacks, here are some ideas to give you a little more time after work:

Plan all your meals on your day off. Do all the shopping. Cut up all your veggies and portion them out in baggies so you can grab them quickly in the morning. If possible, plan and fix dinners so all you have to do is reheat (or plan crockpot dishes that you just come home and eat). If possible, prepack your lunches (or as much as you can) and put them in bags so all you have to do is grab your bag in the morning.

Throw your load of laundry in before you leave in the morning. Dry, fold and put it away in the evening. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it works for me.

Cleaning people are great! I have one that comes every other week do to the major stuff. All I need to do between visits is small cleanups.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Excellent advice from Mandalinn.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #11  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Drmom, I work 60-80 hours per week, and when I'm not traveling, I find bringing my meals helps. I make sure I know the portion sizes and pack my lunch up individually, because I eat at my desk while working and don't want to have the option to have more food. I calculate the calories and usually aim for a 400 calorie lunch. I also usually bring some fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, or pears) as a morning snack, and then some cut vegetables (carrots, celery, or bell peppers) as an afternoon snack. Hope that helps!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'd also recommend skipping the 100-calorie pre-packaged snacks. Most of that stuff is just empty calories and to get the calories down to 100, they have to make the portions really small. So those types of snacks aren't very filling and just make you want to eat more, especially if they have added sugar in them (which most do). Just about the only exception is 100-calorie bags of microwave popcorn.

Try eating fruit and veggies, oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna or salmon (try some of the flavored varieties), and whole grains as snacks.

I find it much easier to stay on plan when I really limit the amount of added sugar in my diet. A couple of weeks ago I was eating a small 100-calorie slice of spice cake from a mix for a snack every night. Every day it was a struggle to stay within my calorie limit. Then I switched my evening snack to grapefruit and yogurt--since I made the switch, it's been much easier to stay on plan.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote