Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #46  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Independence Day Determination - tagging along with abbyin, Illene and Dagmar.

Okay, here's what I've done so far to
make July make a difference!

I used this site's Advanced Search feature and found all my posts in late April when I overcame a glitch of 4 upward pounds and started back down (ended up losing additional 2.5 pounds before this present glitch/plateau! )

Back then, I took out 7 days and went back to basics with no white flour. Also no soda/pop/lemonade and virtually no desserts or potatoes. By the next morning I'd lost 2 pounds of water weight. By 6 days I'd lost 2 more pounds (back to ticker) and by 7 days I was able to move the ticker a pound.

So that's my plan for July. I want to do another 7-day back-to-basics blitz, then maybe wait until after mid-month and do another. Also back to my old workouts schedule during both those weeks to shake things up.

Note to self - this may be harder in summertime with school out. Still, aiming high.

Carolyn, it can be amazing when several down things happen at once but remember that positive things can show up when least expected. Yes, I eat in response to events, too. And one thing leads to another - if I have a salty snack then I "need" a cola, etc.

Last edited by Whittlin; 07-04-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I always ate chips, then ice cream, then coke ...

I'm home from work early to premedicate for another dental appt. Man I feel like an idiot. I go, after that, to try my trial contacts and suppose I'll be pretty whoozy headed but I cannot make myself try the dentist without ativan. I don't think I'd make it to the office.
One good thing is I'm slightly nauseous, so I'm not nervously nibbling while I wait.

I kinda wanted to discuss some of these stalls we have. I have a nebulous notion about body composition. We're made up of lean mass, fat, water ... in a fairly intricate balance. It feels to me that sometimes our bodies (the things that don't like change) hover for a bit ... maybe adjusting this intricate balance. A little fluid imbalance with a bit of increased muscle mass could off set any fat loss. You wouldn't lose scale weight but you would be gaining ground. Since we're 'almost there' our progresses are small amounts, fractions of a pound a week. We are now dealing in intricacies.

Look at a quarter pound of butter. Small but better off not on your body. It weighs about the same as a small glass of water. Did you stay the same weight -or- did you exchange fat for water -or- think how small a 1/4 pound of muscle is! Think how big a glute muscle is. If it was tender from exercise, how much water is in it?

This is all enough to make my head spin. I have to stay focussed on a general, gradual downward trend. Do you?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #48  
Ilene the Bean

Clikk glad you checked in early and I hope your day is and bright ...

Whittlin, abbyin, & Mudpie July is gonna be a good one!!

So far this week it's been good food and exercise wise... I feel very focused and not hungry for some reason... ME not hungry THAT doesn't happen very often......

susan -- you get in my head sometimes
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #49  

Ilene ... is that a good thing?

I've got my trial contacts in. Normal looking around is very good. Three cheers for peripheral vision. But I'm having trouble with the computer. Dr Eye Guy told me to grab some dollar store readers, I guess I need them for the computer too.
1 1/2 hours in, I'm pretty happy with them. Look I have eyelashes!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

I definitely have to stay on a gradual downward trend! I lose so slow that I would have given up long ago.

I am determined though, and slowly but surely these pounds will go!

I've been doing really good the last 3 days - How about you Ilene? I think July just might be our month.

SusanB - I wish I could wear contacts. I have estigmatism (sp). I know they make contacts for that now but I also have a chronic case of Iritis (Infection of the colored part of your eye) so I have to put steroids in my eye everyday (2.5 years now). I found out last year that I have a slight case of Crohn's disease. It turns out that my Crohn's doesn't like my eye but my Doctor said that it could be worse and it could be attacking a vital organ so I deal with it.

Anyway, hope everyones having a great day!

Last edited by abbyin; 07-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #51  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default july

i read somewhere that if you plateau, you can break it by consuming extra calories one day and then reducing them again the next. i've still been exercising and drinking lots of water and am stalled, so today i figured i'd give some extra calories a try.
B: 2 eggs and a piece of toast
L: not hungry
D: made a cheeseburger, fries and baked beans. Washed it down with a coke.
Now i'm absolutely stuffed. Overfull, i think.

i'll return to my regular diet tomorrow. Maybe it works, and maybe it doesn't. We'll see.

Last edited by thinnythighs; 07-04-2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #52  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Ilene ... is that a good thing?
Oh, absolutely, you make me think ...

I wear reading glasses on top of my contacts all the time...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #53  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

thinnythighs - 3 days is not a plateau. A plateau is a month or more with no weight loss. Three days is your body retaining water, or your scale not sensitive enough to register the change in weight (my scale weights in only .5 lb increments), or any number of things. Weight loss is not linear and you can't expect that you are going to consistently see a loss every day. It is not unsual for me to go a week or more with no loss and then to see a drop of one to two lbs all at once. If it is frustrating to not see a loss every day, maybe consider weighing yourself only once a week. I wouldn't worry until you haven't seen any change on the scale for several weeks; until then, I would just keep doing what you are doing since it's been working up til now.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #54  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning!

Checking in! Had a successful day eating-wise and emotionally-wise yesterday.

Today, I expect more of the same.
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm kind of off this morning. DD was out late (so I didn't sleep too well) and then I had to get up early to take her to meet her bus. She's off to China. I'll be off to Hawaii on Saturday. I'm taking my laptop, but don't know what wi-fi hot spots I'll be able to find, so my checking in might be a bit spotty.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #56  

Height: 5'6

Went totally off track yesterday...too much of everything and everything was "bad" food. I did get a treadmill though...just have to set it up in my spare room and start using it! Hope everyone had a good holiday!
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #57  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Goodness, Allison - hope both you and your daughter are safe and sound on your faraway adventures.

Well, after first day (out of 7) of no-white-flour (and no-sugar and probably no-potatoes), one pound down this morning, so right on schedule to lose back to ticker and beyond. Got in a workout today. And today I'm sticking right with my back-to-basics way of eating. Already have my water in for the day and would just like to be sure I get in one more veggie to be on track with everything.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #58  
Ilene the Bean

Allison, have fun in Hawaii ... I'm totally envious ...

Michelin, have fun with your new toy

Whittlin and Abbyin, WE can do this, yes we can Congrats on the great day!... I've had a very good day food and exercise wise too and I feel sooooooo good too... It's not rocket science, why to we not do it right all the time Dagmar how you doin'?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question I'm great??

I'm starting the new weigh-in on Friday thing tomorrow. And part of me wants to sabotage that by eating too much tonite. And I sent DH to do the grocery shopping (part of our new program where he actually helps with the chores instead of cheering me on) and he usually brings back "bad" stuff.

BUT - I have raspberries to snack on in the fridge, as well as Weight Watchers little carrot cakes . And I'm planning on not going anywhere near the TV tonite. So I think tonite will be a success and I expect to be down a pound or so tomorrow when I step on the scale.

The plan is still to weigh-in Fri., Sat. and Sunday and take an average to change the ticker. It is going DOWN this weekend.

Ilene, whittlin, and abbyin Let's keep it up ( or in this case DOWN!)

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #60  

Bad day today ... I'm just off ... probably left over harriedness from yesterday. Doughnut, cookies, peanutbutter ....

I have my contacts in again. Took me 17 minutes I found some light reading glasses at the dollar store that are excellent for the computer. I'll have to try harder for reading glasses tho.

On a gooder front. A coworker and I lunge-walked down the hall today. It was fun! And I walked on my lunch.