Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #31  

Good for you for staying on plan even with the scale being annoyin', Doughnut!

Allison, what's the difference between Super Target and Target? Just the size? I love Target, everytime I'm across the border I go.

Suerose, what sorts of things does "The End of Diets" cover? How does it help? (Just curious!)

lpgoad, I don't why you want the world to swallow you, but I don't really want that to happen to you, or anyone for that matter.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #32  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello to Bikini Dreader. Since the pilates-style portion of the floor moves I do are the hardest for me, that might tell me something - maybe those are ones I should concentrate on mastering!

Thanks, SusanB. Yes, a lot to think about. Upping protein and upping cardio makes a lot of sense. To me the catch phrase, "you can't spot reduce" will always be only a half-truth, though, since you certainly can retrain muscles to cinch back in and create a tighter, smaller midsection. Also, I was surprised to see the idea of giving up dairy, since so much other advice says be sure to include several daily servings!!! I have smoothies with skim milk/fruit every day just because of that advice, and upping protein without dairy would be a puzzle. But then I don't ever want to be at 14 percent bodyfat like the women this writer mentions, so that makes a difference. Most of what I read suggests 1 more percent down for me to 22, "healthy normal" for a caucasian woman.

lpgoad, I don't want you swallowed either! What has happened?

Congratulations, suerose.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 177/168.5/140

Height: 5'5

I quess I was just very sad last night, hubby and I had a disagreement and he can be rather nasty. So I really would not have minded if I got swallowed up. I'm better today, new day
lpgoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Honey, I can feel like that for no good reason. Does this happen very often?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #35  

Well if it's about money it does, that is the one subject we cannot talk about without getting in to it. He is so stubborn when it comes to money and I feel like I am dealing with a two year old.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #36  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I will lend you my kickboxing skills then you can sort 'im out when he's being a meanie

I am sick today I woke up with a migraine... But I've been asleep all morning and now it's gone so I am going training tonight! DH wants me to iron shirts.. So I said I'd iron if he'd "let" me go kickboxing

Apart from that - it's all good. Not been to gym yet this week but am planning on a session tomorrow, weights at lunch and perhaps some treadmill in the evening depending on my knee.

Phew it's hot here today. I'm a big sweaty beast so I'd better jump in the shower so I can get all sweaty again tonight!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_talker View Post
Allison, what's the difference between Super Target and Target? Just the size? I love Target, everytime I'm across the border I go.
Super Target is a regular Target with a full-sized grocery store inside. Like a Super Wal-Mart. I very much dislike Wal-Mart and won't go inside one unless I have to. But Target, well, that's a different story!! I love Target!

Frus~glad to hear your migraine is gone. I count my lucky stars that I don't get migraines.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #38  

lpgoad ... into each marriage some rain must fall ... and it an awful lot of cases, it's about money. You'll work it out. Just as long as you don't feel like crawling into a hole and disappearing very often and for no good reason. There's another thread for that ... and medication

I probably shouldn't say that I haven't had a migraine in ages should I? One of the perks of preimenopause apparently.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 175+/151/135

Height: 5'7"

Ipgoad

Sorry about the bad day. Money is a pretty loaded topic. Its easy to get in a whirl over it. Hope you have a better week.

Happy lbs lost and sorry about lbs gained to all of you out there. I am writing from a weight black hole.

I will explain.

I fiddled with my scale last night to see if I couldn't get it to work. Stepped on it 165, 165 ,165 which was great every time the same number finally.

I was excited to see what the morning would hold. But when I got on the scale today 155! 170! WHAT!!!!!!

So I suppose I have to go out and get another one.

I am a bit anxious. One to find that my scale was innacurate the whole time and I am heavier or worse I haven't lost any weight. Completely irrational since I know my measuring tape works.

Its a mental game. I am full of fear. Time to muster up some ninja courage and do what has to be done.

Wish me luck ladies.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #40  

Whittlin ....To me the catch phrase, "you can't spot reduce" will always be only a half-truth, .....

I agree with about a dozen caveats. Once we get down to a nearer slender healthy fit looking weight ... any muscle building we do will indeed change the shape of the area in question.
It's easier to explain what I mean from the other end of the journey. If Jane Doe is 80 lbs over weight but only complains about her flabby arms. The answer to her question is you can't spot reduce because what Jane really needs to do is lose some of that weight. Her arms will shrink.

Is that another of my thunk its that clear as mud?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #41  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Good morning!

I drove to Chino Hills (about an hour north of here) last night for my son's tennis match and of course it got over about 6 pm just in time for awful rush hour traffic. Lo & behold, the traffic was great! Very strange.

It rained here quite a bit last night but now it looks sunny & beautiful out. It's probably cool out there though (by my standards anyway!). My son has a tennis match at 10 so I need to get up and get going.

I am sitting here eating a Ceasar salad and then I'm going to jump on my treadmill. I only have time for 30 mins. this morning. I'll get some more exercise in later. I think I'll try to walk outside.

I did my weekly weigh-in this moring. I'm down 1 more pound 132.5.
I wish I could figure out what makes me lose weight. I know calories in/calories out but sometimes I think I've had a "so-so" week and I lose and other times my "behavior" is stellar and I don't lose. Go figure. Oh well, I'm happy with a pound. I'll take it (or leave it, as the case may be!!).

Hikerchick-you are so right about the scale being only one measure of our success but it seems we all let it get to us!

Allison-I love Super Target too. We don't have one here but I've been to one by my dad's house (of course that is by Chicago so you can imagine how often I get there!!).

lpgoad- Hope your husband straightens up today. Take 2frus up on her offer of her kickboxing skills! (I love those icons).

Suerose-Wow! Way to go on losing 3 lbs!

Doughnut-Is Tesco a health food grocery store or specialty or just a regular grocery store?

Ok, gott run. Hope everyone has a great day. Jane
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I feel off the wagon yesterday....**** I jumped off! I baked cookies yesterday ...and well I'll just say I had a few and they weren't oatmeal or anything like that where I can say at least i got such and such . No I made butterscotch chip cookies. i do not want to see the scale for the next week !
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #43  

Thanks everyone, I'm sure he will come around he always does.
Hikerchick I use a digital scale seems to do the trick
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #44  

Height: 5'6

I got back on the scale since I de-bloated today....hoping to see 149 again and get more motivation...I did, but I made the mistake of checking my body fat 34% (that is really high isn't it?). I remember one time at work I checked my body fat and it was something like 23 or 24 (of course that was 10 years and 20 lbs ago). Any idea what my body fat should be? I am 5'6, 149 (today) and 35 yrs old. I get different advice from different websites. After watching The View last week about the dangers of having a big waist, I have been a little worried...my waist is 35.5 (bust 38, hips 41)
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #45  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchoice View Post

Doughnut-Is Tesco a health food grocery store or specialty or just a regular grocery store?

It's just a supermarket but it's taken over England - has a complete monopoly here - which really annoys me. In my opinion it's really gone downhill as well and is on a par with ASDA now (Walmart) - I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a supermarket snob. All the supermarkets here are into financial management here too - credit cards, loans, insurance etc etc. I've only ever been into one type of US supermarket - Publix - and the choice of stuff you guys have is astronomical. I seriously don't know how you can do a shop without taking the day off work! I don't get why Tescos would be trying to break into the US market - I just don't see what they can possibly offer you.

Well done on your pound by the way Jane.

Carey you're so sweet.

I'm having a really rubbish day. Have had a big set to with my best friend. I'm upset because she asked me to tell her the truth about something and so I foolishly did. I never tell lies. I may choose not to say anything in a lot of situations but if you ask me to tell the truth I will. She's been my closest friend for 20 years so she knows this. And so I ate cake A lot of it
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote