Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

Default Fat Smashers Weekly Support 11/27-12/03

We need a new weekly support so I'll start it - esp. since I need it! I had my worse day yesterday since starting FS.

I struggled the two days after my planned off day on Thanksgiving. But I stayed on plan & within my calories those two days. Went to a luncheon at a fancy country club yesterday and if I had just stopped there it wouldn't have been too bad. The only thing I had that wasn't on plan (for Phase III), was a scoop of regular ice cream. My sandwich was on plan along with fruit instead of french fries. I could have at least kept the day within my calories.

But my carb addiction went berserk along with my mindset since I had the ice cream. I had an unplanned off-plan day and went on a binge. My first one since starting FS. I even ate some leftover Halloween candy, which I had not touched once!

The good news is that I exercised for 40+ minutes (I normally do 30). Surprisingly, I didn't feel sick last night or today so I guess for a binge it wasn't as bad as the days before FS.

I'm over that and detoxing now. I don't know how long I'll detox for but right now I'm planning on at least 3 days or until I drop below my last low weight. I want to get rid of that binge mentality and detox did that before.

Lem - Hope you're handling your trip as good as you can.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/189.5/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Day 4 Detox

I just wrote a message and it got deleted by 3 fat chicks so I'll just give a shout out to all my homies doing the detox and let you know that I'm rooting for you all the way to eat like champs today. We're hotter than the surface of Venus. OUCH!

Dr. Ian made up a logical and healthy plan that I'm excited about, (better than the rest of the protein-only and calorie-counting crud out there) and I really appreciate how concise the book is, but DAMN, does that boy need help when it comes to writing his ideas out clearly!! That little book is a mess of ambiguity!! Shame on him, he should have spent the extra few days with an editor getting feedback to make it easier to understand. WAG OF THE FINGER TO DR. IAN!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/233.6/140

Height: 5'4

Default Detox

I am SO excited!! Today was my first day of the detox. I did rather well, if I do say so myself! I did NOT give in to temptation to go to the cafeteria for lunch. I stuck with my lentils and veggies!!

I am interested in hearing what others eat on their detox. I think I might get bored!

Gretchen

OH yeah...I got in 25 minutes of exercise first thing this morning!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #4  
Making it happen

S/C/G: 160/130/128

Height: 5' 4"

I finished detox yesterday and I have lost 7 lbs! Yeah! I'm excited but worried about future weight loss and hitting a "plateau." I haven't introduced any of the phase 2 foods yet. I had some left over phase 1 pizza for lunch...YUMMY!!! And a salad for dinner. I really stepped up my gym time. I did about 3 hours of workouts today - an hour in the morning, noon, and night. According to the calorie counters on the machines I burned over 1600 calories in workouts alone. I am hoping it shows up the scale tomorrow. I'll be kind of bummed if it doesn't- but I'll haul my butt back to the gym anyway and do it all over again. Hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks for all the support.
Sarah
Old 11-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #5  
Making it happen

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbuckweet View Post
I am SO excited!! Today was my first day of the detox. I did rather well, if I do say so myself! I did NOT give in to temptation to go to the cafeteria for lunch. I stuck with my lentils and veggies!!

I am interested in hearing what others eat on their detox. I think I might get bored!

Gretchen

OH yeah...I got in 25 minutes of exercise first thing this morning!
I loved the vegetable patties and the pizza recipes from the recipe section. They were both so good my husband loved them and ended up eating them as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #6  
Making it happen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyo View Post
We need a new weekly support so I'll start it - esp. since I need it! I had my worse day yesterday since starting FS.

I struggled the two days after my planned off day on Thanksgiving. But I stayed on plan & within my calories those two days. Went to a luncheon at a fancy country club yesterday and if I had just stopped there it wouldn't have been too bad. The only thing I had that wasn't on plan (for Phase III), was a scoop of regular ice cream. My sandwich was on plan along with fruit instead of french fries. I could have at least kept the day within my calories.

But my carb addiction went berserk along with my mindset since I had the ice cream. I had an unplanned off-plan day and went on a binge. My first one since starting FS. I even ate some leftover Halloween candy, which I had not touched once!

The good news is that I exercised for 40+ minutes (I normally do 30). Surprisingly, I didn't feel sick last night or today so I guess for a binge it wasn't as bad as the days before FS.

I'm over that and detoxing now. I don't know how long I'll detox for but right now I'm planning on at least 3 days or until I drop below my last low weight. I want to get rid of that binge mentality and detox did that before.

Lem - Hope you're handling your trip as good as you can.
Way to recover! That's one of the things that brought me Fat Smash- the fact that you make mistakes and pick yourself up and jump right back into the game with some redemption! Enjoy your detox- it's a cleansing ritual for mind and body.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #7  
lem
Lem

S/C/G: 163/136/130

Height: 5'7"

Hi Judy - I am sorry. I feel your pain, I have had an extremely tough time since Thanksgiving too. Its like that day told my body I needed all that crap and now it wants it all the time. Lets be strong Judy, I know we can do it, I am getting myself back on track tomorrow.

So here is my confession: Sunday was a travel day for me. I had an apple for breakfast and then got to Detroit airport and there was nothing healthy in my terminal. I knew I was going to be in the air nearly 5 hrs and you could only buy junk food on the flight. So I ended up eating a chicken philly sandwich. I guessed that at 500 calories because I had no way to really know for sure. all was well until i got to town and my friend took me to PF Changs. I had lettuce wraps, sauteed spinach and brown rice w/ lots of different sauces & a fortune cookie. So, I know I blew FS and my calories for the day. Today I tried to go to the grocery in San Francisco to buy some fruits & veggies and found out I couldn't really afford them. Strawberries were 6.00 for the same size container I pay maybe 2.99 at the most back home! I got confused and bought nothing. I had fried white rice for lunch w/ chicken & then tonight I ate Indian and really blew that w/ more rice and nan bread. AAAAHHHHH!!! What is wrong with me? Maybe if I type this here it will come true: I will stick to FS tomorrow!!! I did bring oatmeal with me so I will have that for breakfast and then go buy an apple or get a fruit cup for lunch. Dinner is hard because everyone wants to eat out and I want to be with my group. I really need to detox for at least a week but I know that can't be done from a hotel so I have to be realistic. I haven't made it to the gym yet either but I plan to do that tomorrow either in the morning or after classes (maybe I can do that instead of going to dinner with the group). Ok, enough confessions from me.

I hope everyone else is back on track and doing ok. I will check in later this week. Take care everyone! Lem
Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #8  
Making it happen

Talking

I could not believe it when I stepped on the scale this morning and it said 140!! I lost 3 more lbs! I haven't seen this number since before my second pregnany two years ago! That means I have lost all of the leftover weight from pregnancy #3!! This is my first big "YEAH I DID IT" moment! I can hardly believe it. I feel like calling everyone and shouting.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Default Hello Fellow Fat Smashers!!!!

to the Newbies!!!!

Judy: I think we all had a hard time after Thanksgiving. I know I ate all the wrong foods this weekend. But I am refocused now. I ate on plan, Phase 2. I couldn't handle another Detox right now although yesterday I didn't eat any meat.

Lem: Traveling and sticking with plan is difficult especially when others are eating whatever they wished. My suggestions is try to make healthy food choices and try to squeeze in a little 10 min walk here and there to burn some calories.

MsBuckweet: Here is a sample of what I ate on Detox:
Breakfast: Oatmeal and 1 cup of Low fat milk, cup of green tea
Snack: 1 8 oz yogurt, 1 banana
Lunch: Veggie Chile, or lentil soup, or corn and Black bean salad (I got the recipes form the recipe forum)
Snack: Carrots with a little fat free or low-fat dressing., grapes, apples
Dinner: same as lunch or a salad with garbanzo beans and low fat dressing
snack: a cup of tea or a piece of fruit
and drank plenty of water
Good Luck. It takes a little thought but you can get thru Detox with out being Hungry.

Juggernaut113: I agree about Dr. Ian. It seems he wrote the book in a rush just to ride on the wave of The Celebrity Fit Club show. If it wasn't for this website I don't think I would have made it. I call this a suplplement to the book.

Sixsarah81:
All I can say is WAY TO GO!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!

I am so excited to get my Glider. Hopefully I will get it today so I can amp up my workout. Trying to lose those 5lbs that I gained before my birthday which is in 2 weeks. Have a pair of jeans I am trying to get in to by then.

Well to all the other Fellow Fat Smashers, Keep on Smashing!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

Doing a detox day yesterday put me back on track. I weighed myself today and I haven't even gained a pound, just ounces. Not too bad for 2 off-plan days. Today I'm back to Phase III but with mostly Phase I & II foods. I feel full again without the desire to binge on junk. Whew!

juggernaut113 - Welcome to the forum. I've read in other forums (or read something he wrote or said) that Dr. Ian wrote a book prior to FS that goes into more detail about eating properly and people told him it was too technical and to write something easier for the average reader/dieter. Hence, FS. However, I agree that some of the things he says are contradictive.

In fact, I reread detox over the weekend and saw where he says you can have 3 Tblsp. of lowfat dressing but it's stuck in the middle of a page as part of a paragraph. It's not listed (as it should be) in the allowed food list. In Phase II it's cut down to 2 Tblsp.

You can't have nuts on Phase I but it doesn't mention them in Phase II. Yet Dr. Ian supposedly answered a question posted on a Yahoo group that Nuts can be started on Phase II and to follow the amount carefully in the snack section. I can't find a snack section on Phase II in the book. I also read somewhere then up to 2 tblsp. of peanut butter was allowed in Phase II, I think it was in Woman's World magazine or something.

Bottom line is that we have to follow some stated rules and use discretion and common sense with grey areas. I've stated this many times that for me it is still mainly calories in vs. calories out. Eating the correct foods makes me feel better and less likely to start to binge eat. My skin looks better and my nails are growing.

msbuckweet - Welcome to you. Even though I cook I got bored by about my 7th day. It was because of poor planning. I didn't get into the recipe section until the end of detox. I should have had more things cooked & ready for the 9 days of Phase I. Here's some sample meals:

Breakfast - oatmeal with blueberries & 1/2 cup milk (if I had to do a whole 9 days again I'd make my steel cut oats in the slow cooker so I could have enough made to heat up during the week).
OR
1/2 egg beaters (whites) with sauteed onion & green/red/orange peppers and/or mushrooms mixed in. A piece of raw fruit (apple, banana, etc.).
OR
A smoothie made with a banana, frozen peaches and/or blueberries, lowfat yogurt and a little skim milk or water. This is great for a quick breakfast on the run.

Lunch - A big salad (mixed greens) with mandarin oranges and up to 2 Tblsp. light dressing. You can add sprouts, carrots or other raw veggies, cabbage, radishes, etc.
OR
brown rice & beans - I sauteed onions & peppers (red/green/etc.) and used spices to mix with the beans (I usually had black beans mixed with dark red kidney beans). I'd usually have fruit with this.
OR
soup - homemade is best although I did have prepared lentil soup a couple of times. I made a vegetable/tofu soup which really came in handy. I would normally have fresh fruit with this or a small salad.

Dinner - A baked sweet potato with steamed veggies and fruit (sometimes I'll have unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon warmed in the microwave).
OR
the beans & rice or leftover soup or a large salad (whatever I did not have for lunch).
OR meatless homemade chili with sweet potato fries.

Snacks - I don't like veggies for a snack so my snacks were usually fruit, a fruit smoothie and/or lowfat yogurt. I also made some Phase I muffins and cookies. I really liked making a rice pudding just microwaving brown rice with some skim milk & cinnamon plus Splenda or stevia and letting it sit to absorb the milk. There is a Phase I rice pudding recipe but I haven't tried it.

Be prepared and you shouldn't be bored.

Sarah - What a great loss! You are doing so good! I know you're really psyched with your great losses but please don't burn yourself out with the exercise. I did that to myself once but by the time I was burned out I had reached goal and was able to keep things maintaining with less exercise. Most of us cannot do 3 hrs. a day and I don't see a need for that much working out unless you're training for something.

Lem - What a difference a detox day makes. I feel so much better now. Just do as well as you can during your travels and know you can detox when you return.

Nelle - I had planned on doing 3 detox days in a row but I wanted some cereal this morning & I know if I keep my calories in check I'll be OK. I might try a Phase III day with a detox day in between this week but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I would like to show a loss this week but getting back to my weight from the last loss would be fine, esp. the week after Thanksgiving. Yep, Thanksgiving derailed a lot of us but I think most of us are picking it all back up and getting on track.

I'm really thinking of buying a piece of equipment again but I'm not sure what I want (I don't have room for more than 1 piece & even that will be in the way). I had a glider many years ago but my feet always fell asleep on it! It even happens with treadmills although it never happens walking or doing aerobics.

I am thinking of getting a mini-trampoline or a treadmill or an elliptical machine. However, I'm building myself back up with my aerobic/cross training tapes and feeling stronger with them. Maybe I'll just keep that up instead of getting a bulky machine that I might get tired of (I get bored very easily). Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/189.5/175

Height: 5'9"

You guys are all awesome!!! Thanks Judy, you've hit it right on the button with using discretion and common sense. But that can be a slippery slope for the cunning mind of a hungry dieter!!! A few nuts can suddenly turn into chocolate covered almonds, and then it's all chicken wings and pork chops from there!!! We have to be super careful and honest with ourselves in those grey areas.

I just have to say KICK BUTT and I feel really good today. My skin and hair are shining and all my blemishes disappeared. I feel more conscious and alive. I find that it's extremely important to eat as much of the non-fruit and veggie foods on the list as I can in order to keep my energy from dropping too low!! Also, not to overdo it on veggies just because it says "unlimited." (see yesterday's sweet potato fries incident!) I thought I just needed to lose a few pounds... I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH I NEEDED TO CHANGE THE WAY I'VE BEEN EATING AND WHAT THOSE FOODS WERE DOING TO THE WAY I LOOK AND FEEL!!! This is good stuff going on right herewith these rich and nutritious foods. End of day 5 for me coming up.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/233.6/140

Height: 5'4

Default Day 2 Down!!

Hey!! Day #2 is almost done!! I've had a few weird side effects during the detox...not to mention EMBARASSING!! OK, I was just standing by a coworker during break and out of NO WHERE I "fluffed". I was MORTIFIED!!

Ok, so granted it's only day 2, but I feel like I am doing well. I had a headache today...but thats all. I haven't really felt like I HAD to have anything from the vending machine...which by the way is right outside my office, 10 feet from my desk...which is also stocked with all my FAVORITE things!!

I guess I will discover new favorite things. I don't know if I will be ever able to eat a snickers bar again. Once in a while treats don't work...they end up being a daily treat!!

Anyway, thanks for all your support!!

Gretchen
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #13  

Hello.

I plan to start tomorrow. I have all of my food all plan out. Reading your posts and what you eat has helped me a lot to plan ahead. I am worried about having those awful sugar cravings. I have thrown the junk food out tonight to help prevent me from even thinking about candy and cookies. I am going to give this diet my all. I really need to lose weight. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time now and I want to have some success.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 242/233/165

Height: 5'8

Day 2 of my Detox. doing great! Feeling great! Concerned that I will run out of variety. Lots of questions: Egg beaters- what would the equilivant be for one egg white? is egg beaters ok to use?
Yogurt = plain only ,doesnt it have sugar in it? should we only buy sugar free/low fat?
Glad to have the resource of real people working toward a common goal!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #15  
Making it happen

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyo View Post
Sarah - What a great loss! You are doing so good! I know you're really psyched with your great losses but please don't burn yourself out with the exercise. I did that to myself once but by the time I was burned out I had reached goal and was able to keep things maintaining with less exercise. Most of us cannot do 3 hrs. a day and I don't see a need for that much working out unless you're training for something.
Good point Judy. I wouldn't want to burn out. I'll cut back on the excercise a bit. Funny you mention training for something because I feel like I am, just not sure what...