Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/148/120

Height: 5ft

Default Anyone have this Problem?

Hi Y'all,

I'm very new to this site jus joined it looks great very excited about being a member here.

Ok let me give y'all a lil background I started different diets back in Dec 2005. Would lose a pound or two but gain it back. Did different types of fasting for a three days max and would lose like 3 lbs. Then did the weight watchers and did really good. I started off close to 200 lbs and got down to 161 lbs and platued (spelling) Then a friend of mine told me about this atkins shake liquid diet she did lost alot of weight fast. I thought she said she did it for two weeks and lost 15 lbs. She looked great so I tried it...I got so weak and so sick wound up in the emergency room...I totally misunderstood her I was on this liquid diet for sevens days thought i was gonna die literally. I took about 3 weeks off from dieting all together to get my strength back. I saw all the celebrities losing good weight and looking great so I thought I'd try the Fat Smash Diet. Its easy for me and I like that I feel full. But I am experiencing Two problems. Hopefully someone out there can help me.

First Problem: The first time I did the Detox Phase 1 I lost like 7 lbs i lasted 5 days wasnt ever hungry but by my 5th day I felt incredibly weak and dizzy and felt like I was gonna pass out. My mom told me to drink a little Orange Juice and it helped for a little bit but then I got that feeling again. I took tons of vitimans and eat good veggies and fruit I ate the yogurt and milk and the rice I even ate beans to help with the protien. I felt like how I felt when I went to the emergency room when I did the liquid diet for seven days. So I took a break from it and ate didnt gain any of the weight back thank goodness. So I got my strength back again and wanted to do it again but this time I could only last 3 days and bam I got weak and dizzy and felt like I was gonna pass out. So I drank OJ and it helped a little bit again and I thought maybe I need bread or something so ate that and it helped a little...So I stopped doing it again and tried doing Weight Watchers again but I havent lost any weight with WW now. I really want to do the fat smash cuz I have no hunger pains at all...Has anyone experienced this and what can I do to get past it?

Another thing is honestly during the Phase 1 Detoxing I didnt eat a lot of brown rice I tried to eat it but yuck I couldnt its so gross I've tried making it like spanish rice style (minus browning the rice n a skillet) but the flavor jus doesnt taste good to me so maybe thats a factor that I need 2 cups of rice a day...this is my 2nd problem...is there a good substitute for the brown rice in the phase 1 detox?

Please help I want to lose 15 lbs by Jan 1st 2007.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #2  
lem
Lem

S/C/G: 163/136/130

Height: 5'7"

Hi,

Maybe you need to stay off the detox and go straight into Phase 2. Are you taking your daily multi-vitamin? What about other vitamins? Maybe some C, E and what about calcium supplements? I had a few days where I got really weak as well. I ended up eating more oatmeal and brown rice to feel better. I also got really ill when I started Phase 2 and I am still not sure if it was adding the meat in or a stomach virus but I felt like I had to have carbs one night so I went to Panera Bread and got some low fat chicken noodle soup and a turkey sandwich (no cheese or mayo). even though it was off the plan, it was still healthy, low in calories and made me feel like a new person. I think if you track your calories daily and figure out what range you need to be in to lose weight, you will see that going off plan a little is still ok as long as you keep your calories where they need to be each day. Maybe if you just can't eat the rice, you could add more oatmeal, grits or even cooked barley. Have you tried making veggie soup? I did that and added rice to it. It thickened my soup and I couldn't even taste the rice.

Do you like fried rice? I made mine w/ some vegetable or chicken broth, an egg white, some chopped onion, fresh garlic and sauteed squash and zucchini. I added some soy sauce and it wasn't far off from the usual fried rice I order out.

I have at least 1/2 c oj daily in my fruit smoothie (see recipes thread) along w/ some yogurt. I think you probably aren't taking in enough calories. If I make my smoothie, it is 200-250 calories depending on what I put in it. A serving of steel cut oats & an apple cooked in it is about 300 calories. If you ate those two at breakfast or had one and then the other for a snack, that alone is 500 calories. If you can figure out a way to eat the rice and other higher calorie foods along w/ the fruits & veggies, I doubt you feel as ill. Also phase 2 requires you to eat more calories by adding the meat back in. I have had no problems getting my calories by adding meat (a serving of chicken is about 225 calories so that combined some fruit & veggies usually puts me in the 350-400 range for 1 meal. Throw a boiled egg, salad and 2 T of dressing & I get even more calories)Grapes & corn are higher in calories as are the sweet potato fries (see recipes thread). If you are reluctant to go all in for Phase 2, maybe you coudl try adding meat to one meal a day? Just a thought.

Good luck to you and hopefully you can get back on track and feel better. Lem
Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #3  
lem
Lem

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I found soy crisps at the grocery (make sure they are baked & not fried & get the salt ones, not the flavored ones) and I allow myself a serving of those if I need something like a chips. They are around 110-120 calories for 18 of them. Also, I really like soy nuts as well. I don't eat a lot of them, but I will allow myself 1/4 cup every few days. Those will also help with the calories. Lem
Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #4  

Hi thanks so much for the information...it was really good info...I do take ALOT of vitimans from the Sun Harvest Organic & Health Food Store. I take a high potency multi vitiman & Mineral Supplements 3 times a day, Since I dont like veggies so I found this great Veggie Pill..2 of them is equal to one serving of Veggies. I take them 3 times a day and since taking them I now have aquired the taste for Veggies so I eat 2 servings of Veggies a day...I also take a Green Tea pill to surpress my appetite and I take Biotin Vitamin for my hair. Oh and 2 Omega 3 Pills a day. I do this everyday becuz I exercise alot everyday so I need alot of engery. I like your ideas ya came up with for the brown rice I'm gonna try them..oh how many calories should i be taking a day? I'm 5ft tall and weigh 148 lbs I want to lose 15 lbs as soon as possible! Once again thx a bunch for all your help!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

First off, congrats on the loss you've already accomplished! You can actually search the Internet for sites that tell you how many calories your body needs to function daily depending on your activity level and most tell you what you need to drop to in order to lose weight the healthy way (1-2 lbs. a week).

Although I am also petite, I still have 3" on you. I started at 1600 calories a day until I stopped losing. Dropped to 1500 daily calories and seemed to maintain or gain a little. Dropped to 1400 calories this week & saw a small loss again. I'll stay here until I start maintaining again.

However, because of bad knees and other pains I only work out an average of 30 minutes of low impact aerobics 3 days a week and do 3 toning/weight days 3 days weekly. If you exercise a lot then you need to eat some of that expended energy so you don't go into starvation mode.

So even though you're shorter than I am you might be able to get away with more daily calories. I truly believe you should never go below 1200 calories a day. So, for an example, if you burn off 300 calories every day you work out, you need to eat around 1500 calories for that day. If you don't you're putting your daily caloric intake too low (only 900). If you keep doing that your body will start holding onto the weight becaues it thinks it's starving.

So those days you feel weak might be because of that (just not eating enough) or you might need more than just fruits, veggies & beans. I've made "fried rice" since detox. I spray a good teflon pan (a good nonstick pan makes a huge difference) with Pam and saute my veggies (use more Pam if needed or even use a tiny bit of olive oil - it won't throw you off & I am a believer than olive oil is good for you). Once the veggies are soft I add the cooked brown rice and mix it all together. Then I make a hole in the middle & pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of egg white substitute in the middle & let it set a bit before stirring it into the rice mixture. Fried rice without a lot of oil. You can add any kind of veggies or even fruit (I love using crushed pineapple along with onions, peppers, garlic, etc.).

I second Lem's suggestion to forget about detox and jump into Phase II but just stay on plan with it. However, although you might not be eating enough, your dizzyness could be caused by other things that you might need to get checked out. Sometimes not eating enough can throw off our electrolytes or throw our glucose and/or insulin levels off. Hopefully, it's just the way you were eating that caused this & not some underlying condition.

Stick with us here & hopefully you'll be working your way towards your goal!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #6  

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much you to Lem! I'm so happy I found this site it seems really helpful. I will stick around here When I got sick from that liquid diet my doctor did complete blood work and checked me for diabetes all came back ok I was a little dehydroated (spelling) but my sugar levels were ok. I do think I wasnt taking in enough calories and thats why I felt so sick. I will be doing the detox again but only for two to three days...then I will go on to Phase 2 which I have never gotten to yet. I will keep ya posted. Thanks again for y'alls help and really good ideas...the pinapple in with the veggies n brown rice sounds very yummy! Gonna start back on the Fat Smash on Friday.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #7  
lem
Lem

Hi,

I agree w/ Judy, you probably should be in the 1500 range of calories per day. But you will have to experiment to see exactly where you need to be - could be 1400, could be 1600. Its a pain to count them for a few weeks but it will help you with your loss.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Lem