Need help with Phase I - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #1  

Default Need help with Phase I

I started my husband on the Fatsmash diet two days ago. He is feeling run down and grumpy....and wanting more variety. I know the book says you can have beans, but if everything in this phase is to be raw, steamed or grilled, how do I cook them? He is pretty picky, and isn't going to eat tofu, chickpeas, oatmeal....anyone have any suggestions on what else I can serve him?
How long will it take before he starts feeling good again?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #2  
it's always something

Beans can be boiled or canned. How about a big pot of vegetarian chili? You could use black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, just about anything on hand, then season it with chili powder. Perfect for this time of year, too
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

Hi,

I agree that the chili would be good. Also, check out the recipe thread at the top of the board. It has some good ideas. My dh and I love to have beans and brown rice. I just put them in the crock pot and season them with chili powder and let them cook a few hours on low. Then make some brown rice.

Your husband might have a couple of days in detox where he will feel run down and grumpy. I did. But by the 4th day I felt great. I was a HUGE caffeine addict. Just hang in there. It gets better! And it is totally worth the couple of days of not feeling too good.

Sherry
Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #4  
lem
Lem

S/C/G: 163/136/130

Height: 5'7"

I started on Sunday and was feeling a bit rundown myself the first 2 days but seem to be ok today. I am a picky eater and don't even eat beans so here is what I have been eating if it helps -

Breakfast smoothie
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 c fresh strawberries (or any fruit, I heard peaches were good)
4 ice cubes
1/2 c non fat unflavored yogurt

You can cut up the fruit and freeze it the night before instead of using the ice. I added 1 pkg of Splenda just to help sweeten it a bit.

If I don't have a smoothie for breakfast I eat a grapefruit, orange, apple or cup of grapes. The apple or grapes are great for grabbing on the go. If he likes fruit yogurt, you can smash up some fruit w/ the non fat unflavored yogurt and add 1 pkg Splenda and it pretty much tastes like what you buy.

I made vegatable soup last night using cans of vegetable stock & beef stock, chopped onion, oregano, basil, parsley, chopped cabbage, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, canned chopped tomatoes (I used the ones w/ green chiles because I wanted my soup to be a little spicey), corn (you could add your beans - green, lima or whatever he will eat). I added 1 c cooked brown rice as well for more substance. I cooked it all down for a about 1 hr. I don't like tofu, but I needed the protein so I took half the veg soup mixture and put it in the blender w/ 1/2 c nonfat yogurt and a few slices of tofu. It made it a bit more creamy, then I added it back in the pot. No one at my house new the yogurt or tofu was even in there. You could use any combo of veggies. Maybe you can sneak some things in on him

Another meal I cooked was 1 c brown rice, 1 c steamed broccoli, a few slices of onion chopped (sauteed in a teaspoon of olive oil to make it tender). When the rice was finished cooking & drained, I added 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, added the onions into the rice, then topped it off w/ broccoli and a few sprays of I Can't Belive its Not Butter, added some seasoned salt. It was very filling for me and I was able to cook up extra rice to use for my soup above.

The other thing I didn't think i would like but did was Boca veggie burgers. I found the roasted onion flavor, fried (or you can grill) it in a pan for about 8 minutes and added some pepper, seasoned salt, a piece of lettuce and slice of tomato and had my veggies on the side with it. I swear if I was able to have a bun I wouldn't notice the difference.

Good luck to you and your husband. As of today I have lost 4 lbs since Sun on Phase 1. I think if he can get past the first few days, he will be fine!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #5  

Thanks for all the great ideas! He's not a "soup" person, but I may get him to eat chili. Never thought about Boca burgers or smoothies - that may be enough variety to get him over the hump of feeling icky.

Now, to work on getting him to make time to exercise......
Old 10-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #6  

hi i am new to this board and i have been on fatsmash diet for a while now i am on phase 2
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

On a different list I'm on there is a warning about the Boca Burgers. Eat them at your own risk. I cannot find any of the soy meat products that do not contain wheat products (some kind of flour) and other items we should not have during detox. Even if you find a so-called approved Phase I recipe with meat substitutes, you would probably be ingesting less than an entire Boca burger eating it in a casserole type meal. If you're willing to make that tweak please note that it's not on the approved list of Phase I foods.

I wrote in another thread that I love beans but I was getting tired of them (plus gassy, can't find my Beano). So definitely peruse the different recipes and give some a try. One of my favorite things to make, even before FS, was brown rice with pineapple. I believe there's a recipe for it here that is a little different than what I do & I'm going to try it. I still want to try stuffed green peppers, too. I also made a stuffed portabella mushroom.

Also, if he likes sweet potatoes you can get creative with those. However, as a person that needs variety, I was getting stumped, even though I love beans, brown rice and sweet potatoes.

Planning & making different foods requires forethought, time & effort. However, I am on day 7 & doing fine. No desire to go off plan, not hungry. Keep reminding him, it's only 9 days. Do a countdown or whatever makes him want to stick with it.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'4"

yeah, get the 9 days out of your mind, and speak about how many left. that's what i'm doing, because 7 looks better than 9 today for me. good luck to you!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/193/125

Height: 5'5

The sweet potato fries in the recipe thread are fantastic - we had a cookout for the kids (probably the last one of the year) and while they had hamburgers and hotdogs, we had grilled portabello mushrooms and sweet potato fries. It was excellent!

I, too, recommend the smoothies and maybe try the roasted garbanzo beans for snacking?

My husband was really crabby until day 5 - so much so that I was getting worried - and I finally served him a veggie burger to help him out. I know they're not really phase 1 (wheat gluten and all), but I figured they were better than a real burger and it helped him make it through a rough patch (and he's lost 12 lbs, too!).

He also said that the veggie soup from the book was helpful, since it had beef stock in it so he "felt like he was getting some meat."

One last thing - my favorite way to make veggie is to roast them just a little with a tiny amount of olive oil and some pepper. That's my preferred way of making asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc. I don't cook them long, so they're still quite firm, but I really prefer that to steamed.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #10  

How about a califlower mash? I pretend they are mashed potatoes. I also recomend the spaghetti squash with reduced fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil. I love the roasted garbanzo beans too. There is a recipie link I can give you from another forum if you PM me.
~Crystal
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyo View Post
On a different list I'm on there is a warning about the Boca Burgers. Eat them at your own risk. I cannot find any of the soy meat products that do not contain wheat products (some kind of flour) and other items we should not have during detox. Even if you find a so-called approved Phase I recipe with meat substitutes, you would probably be ingesting less than an entire Boca burger eating it in a casserole type meal. If you're willing to make that tweak please note that it's not on the approved list of Phase I foods.

I wrote in another thread that I love beans but I was getting tired of them (plus gassy, can't find my Beano). So definitely peruse the different recipes and give some a try. One of my favorite things to make, even before FS, was brown rice with pineapple. I believe there's a recipe for it here that is a little different than what I do & I'm going to try it. I still want to try stuffed green peppers, too. I also made a stuffed portabella mushroom.

Also, if he likes sweet potatoes you can get creative with those. However, as a person that needs variety, I was getting stumped, even though I love beans, brown rice and sweet potatoes.

Planning & making different foods requires forethought, time & effort. However, I am on day 7 & doing fine. No desire to go off plan, not hungry. Keep reminding him, it's only 9 days. Do a countdown or whatever makes him want to stick with it.

Hey Judy I can mail you some beano.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #12  
lem
Lem

S/C/G: 163/136/130

Height: 5'7"

In Womens World Weekly magazine 2 weeks ago, they did an article on Fat Smash w/ Dr Ian and suggested meals for Phase 1 - it said it was a new version and the veggie burgers were on there as were some other things not in the book such as soy sauce. I really hate it that there are so many differences, even the book is a bit confusing. I wish he would update his website and clarify a few things. I have been eating the Boca burgers and have lost 4 lbs on phase 1 so far so I don't think they are hurting me. I am also crumbling them up and eating them in my rice w/ some cajun spices so that spreads it out a little more as well. Lem
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

You know, I really feel that whatever works is OK. We all like/dislike certain things. Whatever keeps us as close to detox as possible shouldn't derail the weight loss for most of us. We should strive to not tweak detox too much because if a person doesn't get good results they'll just say FS doesn't work, but they didn't work it correctly.

I'm on another list and some newbies are asking about diet hot chocolate & other things that certainly should not be eaten, at least during detox. It's not just about calories, it's about cleaning out our systems.