Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #1  
FargoFatChick

S/C/G: 208/181/145

Height: 5/3"

Default Why no coffee?

I get that you're not supposed to drink more than 1 cup per day of coffee, but can anybody tell me the science behind that? Is it a physiological/ biological reason, or is it just that if you get to hyper you tend to eat more and make poor choices? Or is it that you drink less water if you drink more coffee? What if I promise to drink my 64 fl oz beyond my coffee intake?

This coffee thing might be a dealbreaker......
Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/130/100

Height: 5'0"

Coffee does two things, one it lowers your blood sugar causing you to crave sugar and carbs. The other thing it does is by lowering your blood sugar, you release insulin which makes you not burn fat.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #3  
FargoFatChick

S/C/G: 208/181/145

Height: 5/3"

Thank you; I needed to hear that. Now I can't pretend otherwise, and will have to wean myself down to really enjoying only one cup.

How about herbal teas? Any restrictions there? I didn't see any, I don't think....
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #4  
Calorie Countin'

S/C/G: 235/235/150

Height: 5'8"

Erm.. doesn't caffeine make people lost weight? I have always heard that. Always.

I drink three cups a day and lost weight just fine, so.

And my mother, a diabetic, adds cinnamon to her coffee. Lowers your blood sugar even more.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #5  
it's always something

There's an interesting article on caffeine and blood glucose levels on WebMD that might be helpful to read. I gather that this is only important if you have diabetes or problems with your blood sugar control.

Some diets have restricted caffeine because of a claim that it can be dehydrating. However, that has been deemed a myth because the amount of fluid you drink more than covers the amount you lose from the diuretic effect.

If you have a problem cutting down, you might try half-caff coffee. Or gradually decrease the amount you drink. If you don't see a problem with your weight loss, then there's no reason to give it up