Old 08-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #46  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Diana,

I may PM you if we want to discuss this further, but I think this post is relevant to anyone interested in the subject so I'll stay brief, but share it here.

Your article, and others it inspired me to seek out, does bring up a valid point, that there are many types of yoga, and some are very religion-based and incompatible with Christianity. And while I can understand some people fearing yoga in general, as a slippery slope to be avoided, I don't think that the "exercise focused" yoga and even the moderate "meditation" as westerners think of it, is incompatible with Christianity. Some people find it easier to completely avoid many "slippery slopes" including mainstream television, books, cartoons, movies.... and that is certainly an option, but there's a point where protecting yourself becomes paranoid isolation.

Personally, my approach is to go into all situations with my eyes open and a firm understanding of my faith and potential threats to it. I would certainly agree after reading more about some of the more extreme types of yoga that these yogas (I think the problem is we're really talking about several different diciplines, and calling them all yoga) could muddy the minds of those who are not aware of the heretical concepts behind it. So I would agree that a person may need to be very careful when deciding "how far" is "too far," but the types of yoga I have been exposed to have not in any way been incompatible with Christianity. Most have not even touched on mental state at all beyond relaxation and stretching. So with the caveat, as long as you are focusing only on the exercise of body movements and not on changing your perception of God and reality, Christian yoga is possible.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #47  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Your article, and others it inspired me to seek out, does bring up a valid point, that there are many types of yoga, and some are very religion-based and incompatible with Christianity. And while I can understand some people fearing yoga in general, as a slippery slope to be avoided, I don't think that the "exercise focused" yoga and even the moderate "meditation" as westerners think of it, is incompatible with Christianity. Some people find it easier to completely avoid many "slippery slopes" including mainstream television, books, cartoons, movies.... and that is certainly an option, but there's a point where protecting yourself becomes paranoid isolation.

I agree 100% with that. I have a deaf yoga DVD in sign language but does have subtitles for the hearing folks interested. I am a firm Southern Baptist bella, and indeed, did read up on yoga quite a bit before I decided to try it out. While yoga does have a long history in middle eastern religions, at the same time, is it not possible to completely erase all connections and just have it be a healthy exercise? I don't see meditating as opening up my mind to evil. Indeed, I find just watching tv at times to introduce evil images and thoughts more than yoga ever did. I have chosen to reinterpret yoga in my own fashion, according to my beliefs. Would you reject a meat intended to be sacrificed to idols but has instead made it to your table?

We can argue this all day long and never really come to a agreement on it. The point is, yoga at its basic is exercise, which we all could benefit from.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #48  

I'm not a religious person but I am a follower of Jesus Christ, for me it is about what you meditate on. I meditate on the words of Jesus because he was full of love compassion and understanding. However that is just me I think if something condemns a person conscience they shouldn't do it.
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #49  

Default Focus on him

Meditation and peace are gifts from God. There are many groups out there, focus on one that allows you to use a scripture as your mantra. You'll know if it's not for you. To many times we allow others to define our relationship with God. Give yourself credit, you'll know if your not focused on him.
Powerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #50  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I have never once had an instructor mention God or even " a higher power", let alone the word prayer. Ever. Yoga is not a faith based practice for most people, and especially not in this country.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #51  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

One of my daughters got a yoga tape. It was a Christian based tape. She just couldn't do it because the guy on the tape was unhealthily skinny and wore a speedo.

I started laughing when she told me about it. The visions I had of this were too overwhelming to not laugh.

I think she's found another one that is more to her liking now. She tries to do yoga for her fibromyalgia and to put her in a calm space that just praying doesn't do for her.

I think that yoga is a good way to relax and to stretch your body. I should do it! It may have come from other beliefs, but it has transended many lines to become a common place exercise and relaxation tool. It doesn't have to be based on one specific religious belief.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #52  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMom View Post

If you make these passages refer to yoga, then if anyone tells you that yoga is part of eastern religions and involves praying to other gods, then you shouldn't participate.
If ANYONE tells you? I am to believe ANYONE who says that something involves praying to other gods without witnessing it for myself?
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #53  
VikkiMomof6

S/C/G: 276/276/175

Height: 5ft 8in

I've considered YOGA & was told that the reason not to do it was because you are "opening your mind" & if you do that then "anything" can come in ie: bad spirits.
SO, I would just put some worship music on & use that time to talk to the Lord!
Then, you're covered AND stretched!

God Bless,
VikkiB
VikkiMomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 287/238/142

Height: 68 in

Wink

Hello, I'm new to this thread and have been reading the messages here. Misti, if anyone tells you or asks you about yoga, just tell them you're doing it for the health benefits which is completely true. I've been doing it almost 2 mos consistently, but I have been doing it off and on for years. I'm a Christian myself. I'm not offending anyone or any religion, exercise is exercise. It is up to the individual whether or not he/she wants to meditate to whatever they feel comfortable or not.

I found a couple of yoga DVDs that I'm able to do most of the moves and some that have to be modified. It helps bring my blood pressure down; stretch and strengthen the joints of my RA and osteoporosis; and help decrease inflammation around my ankles and feet. While I'm meditating I pray and talk to Dad Jesus.

Some people(including laypersons) have no proof that it does the "negative". I call it negative because some people do think "stereotype". When my mother was alive and she was a Catholic, she knew I did some yoga moves. But she didn't think it was spiritual, and she knew it was good exercise for me. I couldn't participate in sports like my siblings nor do the exercises that were hard on your joints like my siblings, too.

I added Yoga Booty Ballet and Core Rhythms to my T-Tapp WOs and Yoga for the Rest of Us & More DVD recently because I want variety of yoga WOs, and I was getting a little bored with T-Tapp, too. I think people need to MTOB for whatever reason you're doing it. It doesn't change who you are spiritually, you're still a Christian. I'm still a Christian! Keep smiling!
slimnfit150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #55  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #56  
icandoit

S/C/G: 190/179/155

Default Follow Peace

Hi I would have to say that whatever you have peace about then follow it. You know Jesus is our peace if you have peace then you will know it is alright with him that who matters most. I hope for the best. Love, Turtledove
turtledove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #57  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I didn't have time to read every post here, but I would HIGHLY encourage you to read "BASIC steps to Godly Fitness" by Laurette Willis. She goes into detail (as a former Yoga practitioner) as to why Christians should NOT participate in Yoga. Hope this helps.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #58  
goin' for goal!

S/C/G: 234.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMom View Post
At the risk of offending many people, i am very much against practicing yoga... As a general rule, if your conscience is bothering you, it's probably for a good reason.
I agree with HoosierMom. I've wanted to find a stretching video for a long time, but I simply can't get past my conscience about yoga, even Christian "alternatives." So for me, it would be best to find something else to do.
fitchick2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I view yoga as a form of physical activity and strengthening of my physical body. I feel stronger from the yoga positions which helps me go through my day with more energy, peace and focus allowing me to be more present for those around me and in my relationship with God. When the yoga class has quiet time at the end of the session, I use it for prayer. God knows who you are praying to (HIM).
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I'm sorry. I just can't keep quiet any longer. I have no particular feelings on yoga...one way or the other. However, I'm worried that so many people seem to have these medieval or almost superstitious feelings about their faith. Evil is not something that "gets" you when you're meditating. Evil is a choice, pure and simple. Jesus went to the wilderness for 40 days to fast and meditate. Satan wasn't able to infiltrate him in his weakness. That's not because he was divine but because he chose against it. Yes, he was divine...but he became human. If he could meditate without being "posessed" or overcome with evil thoughts, then I think we can, too.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote