Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #1  

Default Do you NOT do yoga because of your religion?

I'm Christian, and really want to start a regular yoga practice because I think it would be good for my proverbial 'mind, body, spirit' but several people around me have cautioned against it saying it's praying to other gods (or something like that).

I was reading some articles at this site, and apparently Judiasm and Islam followers also have a pov on yoga. ( Yoga & Religion Articles )

If you are religious, what do you say to other religious people who tell you you shouldn't do it?
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #2  

I would say that it's not a religous thing, but a spiritual thing. It connects you with your body and if you don't want the religious side of it, ignor it. Above and beyond that, it will make you so much more supple! Tell the other people that you're not doing it for the religious aspect, but rather the health aspects!
megsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #3  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Any yoga I have done has had nothing to do with religion at all. I think it would be perfectly fine to do yoga to help centre yourself. I think its like you said...about getting the mind, body and spirit aligned.

As for the praying to other gods...I think there has to be an intent involved in prayer. Moving your body in a certain way does not equate a prayer. Saying this also assumes that different religion=different god...I don't believe this is true. I think you should look at whether or not its what you believe.

Yoga can be very relaxing but if you are going to be worrying about religion the whole time, and whether or not it is against your beliefs, then it may not be very helpful or relaxing.

Why not just try a class and see if its something that feels good to you or feels wrong? Most places will let you have a free first class. Then you will know for sure and you won't have to rely on other people's opinions.

Casey
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #4  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Just reading what the pp poster put...I agree...and even if prayer or God is mentioned in the context of class...you know who you are praying to and isn't that what matters?

Casey
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #5  

My yoga class isn't spiritual at all, it's all about breathing and posture and trying to keep up with our super bendy 67 year old instructor! If you search you may be able to find a Christian teacher. There are strains of quite spiritual buddhist inspired yoga classes, and these may not be best for you. No yoga teacher will mind you asking questions about what is the basis of their practice.

You do yoga for you, to get stronger, more centred, to learn about your body and where it's at. You don't need to answer to anyone but your Father, so I wouldn't worry what anyone else says to you, but perhaps reply that you have prayed about it, and are very comfortable with what you are doing, thanks very much
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #6  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I agree pretty much with what the others are saying. Every yoga class (or DVD) I've experienced has had no religious affiliation. There was one time where the teacher guided us in a meditation but it was a general meditation that you could use as guided prayer or just to center your mind or really for whatever purpose you wanted it to be.

As a practicing Christian, I have never found yoga to be in conflict with my beliefs.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My wife does yoga strictly for the physical benefits and relaxation. There is nothing religious about the classes she attends. And she doen't feel it conflicts with her beliefs as a Christian.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #8  

I have done yoga for a few years and never had a problem. When you relax at the end of the class focus on what God has planned for you that day. I like yoga cause it is a great strenght and flexiblility class. I like it much better than arerobics class. I feel really strong, relaxed and happy at the end of each class. Do not let other people make up your mind for you. Go and try out a class.

Nancy
mavnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me
several people around me have cautioned against it saying it's praying to other gods (or something like that).
I seem to be the "lone voice" here in the forum... but I am a Christian also and I agree with the people who are cautioning you not to do it. Just for what it's worth.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #10  

Listen, I have been a born again Christian for over 40 years, have belonged to seriously conservative churches and know how they feel about this. Truly though, if you are sitting in a yoga position and praying to GOD or communicating with God, it is YOUR mind that knows what God you are communicating with, right? How many times have you been in church or a prayer group and they ask for total stillness and quiet to commune with God? Just because you are sitting different on a yoga mat instead of in a pew or on the couch or a hardbacked chair etc does not mean you all of a sudden have thrown your religious beliefs out the window for heaven's sake. I DO understand the caution about this, but unless you are part of an organized group that you feel is asking you to do something that is contrary to what you believe, I see no harm in it. If that is the case, stay at home and do it yourself. There are non-religious affiliated tapes that teach yoga and only yoga.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #11  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

I am also a conservative Christian and have concerns about yoga. While searching for Christian yoga tapes or DVDs online I found PraiseMoves. I have not bought the tapes, but it seemed exciting. If I remember right, the instructor was a Yogi and deep into the spiritual side of yoga. She then became a Christian and felt lead to not practice yoga anymore. She then developed the PraiseMoves routines with modified yoga postures and replaced mantras with scripture. I found the site on a search engine, so I am sure you can find it and evaluate it for yourself.

Best of luck!
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

That sounds great, Martha! Thanks for the info!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #13  

That does sound interesting......I'd love a class like that, although my class is fabulous. We do guided relaxation at the end of the class, but it is always focused on the body, nothing spiritual at all "tell your arms to relax that sort of thing.

I must be very blessed with the class I chose, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing one with any mantras or chants.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #14  
melissa.chickie

S/C/G: 348/331/236

Height: 5'8"

I don't do yoga because I can't physically do it just yet. I just look like I am struggling with getting off the floor or bending over. HA!
melissd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #15  
Friend to Little Doggies

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'1"

To answer the question on the thread, I'd have to admit that I'm one who would NOT do yoga because of my religion. [I'm a traditional Roman Catholic]

D.
ChicCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote