Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Bootsie, I looked up avocado at MyFoodDiary and it lists a whole avocado as having 14 mg. sodium. That doesn't seem high to me, given that the suggested limit is 2300 mg., with the ideal being 1000 to 1600.

Avocados are high in calories; perhaps that's what you were referring to? They are full of healthy oils, though (hence the high calorie count) so I have one every couple of weeks when the price is reasonable and I can find a ripe one.

Did you know avocados will not ripen as long as they are on the tree? We used to have a tree in our backyard and the ones at the very top of the tree (too tall to be picked without a cherrypicker) were huge. When we were moving from the house someone came by and asked if they could pick them ... they used a cherrypicker and got box after box after box ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I sure wish I knew that years ago when my daughter lived in Weslaco I would of picked a whole bunch! Learn something everyday!

I am feeling so much better , I am back to being me and rearing to go. I have so much catching up its unreal! I would of never thought 4 weeks ago I could ever pick up one bale of hay much less unload 70 bales and on top of that stack them! Weed eated my garden yesterday and there was a half grown cotton tail in it! I tried to shew it out and it kept coming back! No place for a rabbit! Rosebud did it freeze your garden and flowers? You sure have a short time to enjoy God's blessings, each year.

My brother is getting his eye operated on today, sure hope everything goes well. They are suppose to test him before they do it and they have all his doctors info, but he refuses to stay with anyone like the doctor wants him too.

Best get busy have dishes to wash and goats to separate.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies! Hope all is well. I've been away from my computer for a few days.

Went to the Women of Faith conference this weekend and it was awesome, so needed! So much of it focused on trusting God and God's love for us...I really needed to hear those things. I shared a hotel room with 4 other ladies (it was a 2 day conference) and we had the best time, we laughed so much! It was good girl time and very refreshing. Have you ever heard Sheila Walsh speak or sing? She was one of the people there...check her out, she's amazing! When she sang I would just cry, it was so beautiful and awesome worship.

HOWEVER I did go off plan for the weekend...it's so hard to stick to things when you're having girl time! But I'm back at it today, and I'm thankful for the supremely enjoyable weekend.

Praying you all have a great day! ~Jenny
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #49  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BOOTSIE ~ glad to here that you are feeling so much better, but you better be careful not to overdo it, my dear. My beans were all picked last month, way before the frost hit and even then, it took several more and some snow before the plants started to wilt a bit; DH says it is becuz of where they are planted. They are in a bed that runs from north to south on the west side of our house; and people kept commenting on how long my plants were blooming (and some still are). DH pulled the empty bean plants out today to clean up the garden; and we pulled the GLADS out too and cut the bulbs off to store them.

We left in all the flower bushes, and the BROWN-EYED SUSANS so the seed can drop as they are still blooming too. When they start to look too sloppy, we will cut them off at the soil -- I am guessing how I am supposed to do them as this is the first time I've ever grown them. I planted the flowers and salad garden last May and some things are still flowering here in October, so that is pretty good really.

A lady down the street has lots of MARIGOLDS still blooming in a bed out in the open, so next year, I'll put some of them in too. I used to grow them in the country and they can even take some snow and still bloom; they are so amazing!

JENNY ~ that conference/ladies retreat sounds like a lot of fun. That-a-girl, get right back on track and things will average out just fine!

DONNA ~ I've never tried avocados; don't know what they taste like yet, so will have to try them at least once I guess. I am always trying to find new things to add to my fruit/veggie list.

Glad to hear all the positive vibes in this thread. DH & I shared a slice of pizza for lunch today at a new place (as that's all they had ready). It was the first time we tried their pizza and it was almost as good as our favorite one. Then we had a small snack at 4 pm when we got finally got home from paying our bills and a few pick-ups.

PICK-ME-UP TIP ~ one of my books suggested that we buy a few flowers to brighten up your home for a spiritual lift; so today, I picked up a small bouquet of lilac cosmos with yellow centers and have them on my desk in front of me. They are lovely and I will be doing that again ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-04-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #50  

What a great idea Rosebud! Never really bought myself some real nice flowers but you know that would be so nice. Oh and avocado's are good in salads! Isn't it nice we never get to old to learn something every day, love it!
A man is going to come with his tractor tomorrow and clean my barn out, so thankful! Then I am going to turn my chickens in there and get any bugs they can find, they ought to have a good pecking time! I took out the hay feeders today, milking stand and some panels and boy it already looks different!

Rosebud I just love being back to me, and i owe it all to the Lord and those dear prayers, Thank You!

Last edited by Bootsie; 10-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #51  

I been fasting trying to shrink my belly for the last 4 days with God's help boy I got hungry , trying to feel hunger as pleasure but it sure did not work but any how I did it. I ate at night time anything and I always looked forward to that, learned right away don't put what you think you will eat on your plate for if I ate to much I got sick feeling. Today ate breakfast one burrito Coffee with sugar and coffee mate,non fat, (which I should not had the sugar but I did )and normal I would want another burrito but today it was all I could do to eat one. So that is good. Now maybe I can have more control over my hunger.
Jenny, Donna and Rosebud how are you doing?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #52  

Hello ladies! Gorgeous day today following an insanely huge hail storm last night, something we don't see much around here. I'm truly enjoying the clouds and cooler weather this morning, I think summer has finally passed, woohoo!!!

Bootsie...funny you posted that this morning, I was just contemplating fasting. A while back I was making it a regular practice once a week, and was having some really great times w/ God, but I kinda got off focus, lost it, and haven't returned to it. I was just wondering if I should begin it again. Actually, I was even just reading a book on the practice of fasting right before I came here...Maybe your post is the little nudge God is giving me to get back to it!

I'm doing ok, haven't quite got back to what I was doing last week (South Beach) I really struggle with that, when I've gone off-plan and getting back on. It's like I just lose all motivation once I've strayed and I can't quite motivate myself to get back to it. :P I was thinking about it last night, and praying, and I know one of my BIG issues is clinging to the idea that I want to lose weight FAST! That's probably why I can never really decide what plan to follow b/c I'm always looking for the one that will work the fastest. But when I look back at the times I've been really successful at losing weight, it's been the times when I'm not focusing so much on the diet, but focusing on letting God lead me with the way I should eat, and letting Him fill my soul with His love, peace, presence, etc. when I'm not hungry, instead of trying to fill myself with food to be happy, at peace, etc.

Soooo...today I'm experimenting I'm gonna pray, read my Bible, SING (I love to sing!) and enjoy Jesus! And I'm gonna trust God to show me when to eat and try really hard to listen when He tells me to stop (I tend to tune that voice out!) and I'm gonna enjoy the foods He has provided...let's see how it goes, but I already feel happier about the whole thing!

So I'm praying for you today, may we all see God's amazing blessings in our lives this day! Check back in later...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #53  
Rosebud

Been having a great month so far; actually, doing better all the time and I am so grateful for that. I have simplified my BF and Lunch which is really helping me a lot. My dinners are almost a routine for me now too.

Hmmm ... fasting ... starving ... fasting ... starving ... nope, don't do that intentionally anymore. My body reacts too badly to it; my blood sugar levels take a nose-dive and that makes me dizzy. Ever since I was put on Metformin by the doctor, this has happened to me. Thankfully, I am off those meds now, but there are still residue after-effects since then.

I don't have any problem knowing when I am hungry; my body sends me hunger signals all the time, so I have been praying that GOD will help me IGNORE those extra hunger signals when I KNOW that I have had enuff to eat. First, I check to make sure that I have had an adequate amount to eat for that time of day; if I have, then I send up a quick prayer, and then may have a cup of green tea.

I have heard of many ladies (and some gents too) who are starving themselves during the day and then only eating supper (or dinner). DH & I have been hearing this a lot these days, but to me that is still starving yourself and I know that they aren't even eating 1000 cals a day. I know that I would gain every ounce back just like before (and they do too).

No, I'm going slow and steady; and I even noticed today that my clothes are getting looser and looser all the time. That's a great NON-SCALE VICTORY for me right now; and it was a great boost for me today.

JENNYGIRL ~ I think that is why those people do that too; they are too impatient and want to lose the weight too fast, but I know from experience that the longer you take to lose it, the longer it stays off. For most people, the faster they lose it, the faster it comes back on; and I don't want to go there. I have had a talk with the LORD about this; and I feel confident that I am doing the right thing for me.

As a matter of fact, I had a dream last night; and I was having a discussion with someone. I can't remember who it was (I assume it may have been my angels); and they said this to me, "Just keep on doing what you are doing; it is working ..." I said, "but it is taking a very long time". And they replied, "Yes, but that's OK. It's coming off slowly, but it is working -- you are doing great." This was just before I woke up, so I remembered it all day long. It kept rolling over and over in my mind -- this happens to me a lot. I take these as positive messages from the LORD. I had been praying about this before I went to bed last night, so that was nice confirmation for me.

Interesting that this topic would come up today -- it's called SERENDIPITY! And, it happens to me all the time!

BOOTSIE ~ SERIOUSLY THOUGH ~ about SPIRITUAL FASTING for a spiritual reason -- if people want to do that, that is between them and the LORD. I tried just fruit fasting and my body reacted to that, so I have to be careful. Some people I know fast once a week; for spiritual reasons (well, that is what they told us anyways).

I'm not sure how I feel about people mixing dieting and fasting; as I'm not really sure of the connection there. Are people using fasting as a means to lose weight? Are they doing this for a legitimate spiritual reason? Are they using it as means to invoke a healing or some spiritual growth? I don't have a problem with the latter two options.

When I was younger, I could easily skip a meal (or more); or even go all day with only a coffee or two; or even a piece of fruit. Today, my body won't let me do that -- for health reasons. I don't believe GOD will hold that against me. I say, to each his/her own: do what you feel is right for you.

Most days, I do my devotions and prayers in the morning BEFORE I eat my breakfast; and that is a kind of fast for me (since I haven't eaten since the day before). When I am done them, then I go eat. I think the LORD will accept that as a kind of fast ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #54  
Rosebud

You know, I know that BOOTSIE meant this as a spiritual question, but after I finished my post, I was recalling how many people that DH & I know that have told us that they only eat one meal a day; mostly becuz they don't want to cook more than one meal, or they want to save money on food. Some want to get or stay slim; and others just drink gallons of coffee each day and smoke one ciggie after another to fill in the void ...

Now, is this healthy? NO, it's not -- but it almost seems to be like a secret vogue today ... a kind of silent epidemic really. I could list you dozens of people we know that say they do this ... from relatives to friends to neighbours (new & old).

The rest of us EAT. Maybe that's why we are fat. Just becuz we do eat. You know, the three square + snacks quotient that we were taught in school, and by doctors, and by scores of dieticians & nutritionists.

Well, by rights; you should be able to eat that way and maintain a healthy weight, but maybe some of us just need to cut our portions way down like the Halladays said (Dr. Arthur & Judy Halladay, RN) in their THIN WITHIN book. Do you even remember how big your servings were when you were a child?

WE don't get near as much exercise as we used to either; esp like we did when we were younger. We have so many things to make life more convenient and easier. That is why I now spread my house-chores out over my mornings; plus walking activities 2-3 times a week shopping and errands; and then add in deliberate walking and other activities like gardening, toning, hand-weights, stretchy bands, dancing, etc. I am hoping this will make up for some of the difference.

BTW ~ I do know some people who only eat one meal and maybe 1 snack a day, becuz of health issues like IBS, colitis, and/or diverticulitis (stomach disorders). They do this becuz they can't tolerate much food or have to eat less so they can work or go out of their home.

Just some food for thought ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-07-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #55  

Fasting...I did a "food-issue" Bible study once and it gave a couple different eating plans, one being pretty much the Thin Within type plan, but the other was basically a calorie cycling plan. I enjoyed using both. Anyway, they suggested a one day fast on both plans. It wasn't supposed to be about the weight loss, but about refocusing on the Lord during those times you would normally be eating. There are books, info, etc out there that you can read about how God can use fasting to break us of sinful habits, and that was also the point of the fast. But I did end up finding it difficult to separate it from the weight loss aspect. I started out really enjoying the fasts, but after a while I couldn't get it out of my head that I was doing it to lose weight, and that's when the fast days became just incredibly painful! So I gave it up. I have been thinking about returning to the days again, as a spiritual practice, but it's something that I'm praying about b/c I don't want to have that same struggle I did before. I see great spiritual benefit in it if that's why you're doing it. But for me, if I'm fasting for weight loss, it does nothing to change my heart and mind towards food (and that's where my battle begins!) and I become even more obsessed w/ eating!

I've also read a lot about people who follow intermittent fasting, where they fast for 18-22 hours and then eat during a 4-6 hour window (or something like that) So it really doesn't seem that bad since you are eating during the day, but from what I understand, you're supposed to be eating a normal amount of calories during that window, not like just eating dinner and nothing else. I've considered that as well, but it just doesn't feel right for me.

So, for today...I feel good! I had cereal for breakfast, half a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich with some apple juice for lunch, and I made tostadas for dinner. And NO OVEREATING!!! WOOHOO!!! I did have a handful of candy corns this afternoon...and totally enjoyed them! (my guilty pleasure this time of year) I do really need to try to get a walk in during the day, it's just incredible how fast it goes by and I haven't done anything like that! Now that the weather is cooling, it will be easier to get out during the day. Before now I had to get up extra early or go at night if I wanted to do something outside.

Hope everyone has a peaceful evening!

Last edited by jennygirl531; 10-06-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #56  
Rosebud

JENNYGIRL ~ Yes, I could see how that could become part of a binging cycle for some people; not eating all day, then eating way too much later on. There are different kinds of fasts: some people do fruit, OR pure juice or liquid fasts too -- you could try that for breakfast one day a week if you are inclined to. What about just fasting for one meal or delaying your breakfast after prayers & devotions like I do most days. That could be a start and may not present the same kind of problems as before ...

What are tostadas? Are they a Mexican dish? Your menu is simple and that could help you keep on track. That is what I am doing these days too. I have tried many different plans, but now I am just doing one that is made up of our favorite foods and dishes. I just made them much healthier and watch the portion sizes.

What are your favorite foods for each meal? Maybe choose 3 different kinds for breakfast and lunch; and then 5-7 for your dinners to give variety. That is what I am doing. I now eat my favorite breakfast most mornings, varying it now and then with my favorite breakfast cereal, etc. I had done this many years ago; and recalled that I was able to stick to that for a much longer time -- and for me, this means the rest of my life.

Then there is no going off the plan, becuz the plan includes all your favorite variations of your favorite foods and dishes. Have you tried that? Here's a sample of what I mean; what we ate today ...

This morning, I had a eggwich (1 egg + .5 slice no-fat cheese on one hardy whole grain toast cut in half with ketchup); plus about 1/2 cup peaches and coffee (Most mornings I have a banana, but I was out). Morning snack was 3 cubes of cheddar and another coffee. Lunch was leftovers from last night's dinner (which was creamy pasta with veggies). Dinner tonight was baked fish and sweet potatoes fries with a broccoli salad + a baby cuke & half a small tomato.

All these are foods that we love; but they are healthy and in proper serving amounts. I had a green tea this afternoon plus 2 more small cubes of cheese (which I cut up ahead & put in a sealed container). I will have some more tea this evening and a small snack as well like natural peanut butter with baby carrots or a couple of whole wheat soda crackers + an apple.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-07-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #57  

Jenny, the way I look at it there is no way that I could fast if Jesus did not help me do it. Jesus knows I cannot do anything without him, that is just a fact of life. Even if I am doing it to lose weight he knows that but he wants to help me. He wants us to take care of his temple what a better way to do it. Does that make sense. Sometimes I don't make sense, is the reason I ask.
Busy! Busy! Around here. Going to town working taking care of the place and I got to go wash up some eggs , will check in later.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #58  

Rosebud, thanks for the meal suggestions. I pretty much cook what my family wants (4 kids!), but mostly healthy I think. I just try to limit my portion sizes (not always with success!) LOL about the tostadas!!! Yes, they are a Mexican food, basically a flat taco. I buy the shells, then I cook meat, beans, cut up lettuce, tomatoes, avacadoes, have some shredded cheese, salsa. The kids love them b/c they get to make them the way they want. Actually, this was the first time I did them for dinner. I've made tacos before, but we just realized that our kids didn't know what a tostada was either b/c they'd never had them. I loved them when I was a kid. It always makes me laugh when people don't know too much about Mexican food b/c it's so pervasive here, I figure it must be the same everywhere and it always surprises me!

Bootsie...hadn't really thought about it like that before. Are you fasting for days at a time, or are you splitting up the days? I guess I'm still confused if this is a fast for spiritual reasons, or a fast to help you lose weight? And I'm gonna have to talk with you about your goats and chickens! We're moving to an acre and we want to get a goat and maybe a couple chickens for eggs, not much, but it's all new for me! I might need your expertise

Ok, so I looked up a bit more about intermittent fasting, there was a thread here about it somewhere, one of the plans is called eat-stop-eat. From what I read it looks like you do it once or twice a week and you basically fast for 24 hours. So you would maybe eat your regular meals one day, then after dinner not eat again until dinner the next day. The idea is to create the calorie deficit you need to lose weight, and from what I think I read you're metabolism isn't supposed to be effected negatively with a shorter fast like that, I think it's even supposed to help with it, as well as give your body time to detox. It sounds like there may be some other health benefits as well. Obviously, this isn't a spiritual fast, but something for health and weight loss. Just thought I'd share
Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #59  
Rosebud

JENNYGIRL ~ yes, I have heard of versions of that kind of WL fasting; a teacher I met one time told me her daughter tried that -- an every other day fast, but she did have liquids all day like jello, tea, coffee, water, juice, and broth soup. The next day, she ate her regular meals; but I never found out how it worked out for her in the end, becuz we were both in the hospital at the time and I left before she did (actually, I think that she has passed on now).

The EAT-STOP-EAT one you mentioned, sounds like they take the best advantage of the time of day -- from sunset to sunset; if one did that only 1-2 times a week, they might find it not so bad. My friends said they only do it once a week and drink liquids as above; so there are many different variations, I think.

BOOTSIE ~ being that you are so busy, that would help to keep your mind off food, but with all the work you are doing, I hope you do get in some nourishment to keep you going. I think you said that you did this 4 days in a row; the fact that you are working probably helps with that. When I was younger and much, much smaller (and also working), I could have fruit and coffee for breakfast; soup & cheese; or fruit & yogurt for lunch; and a healthy dinner. At the weight I am now that wouldn't be enuff calories for me; and would leave me hypoglycemic.

I did do a fruit fast for breakfast over the winter a few times just to try it, but not every day; I found that I could do it every other day or so; or 1-2 times a week like JENNY mentioned. I did have to have fruit a couple of times though up to 11 pm; then I had nothing until I ate my lunch. Each person could do what they are most comfortable with.

BTW, here's a TIP for ya ~ I was just reading how Norwegian farmers clean their eggs. A friend of mine told me not to put them in water as this can seep through the shell and make them go bad, so I developed my own method of using a very lightly dampened, clean cloth rag and just wiped them off, which worked very well for me. The Norwegians use a very, very fine sheet of sand paper, and just gently brush off any dirt; that way they don't have to use water at all! I thought that was very clever ...

ALSO, I started reading AWAKENING THE GIANT WITHIN and found the chapter called, "If you're not happy, this is why" very interesting -- his thoughts about our different communication styles (rules) was right on the spot for me and my DH. I can see how it would really help in marriage, family, and business relationships.

Great info in that chapter about our ideas and belief systems about health and losing weight. About a month ago, I had a mind-shift from thinking, "I SHOULD LOSE WEIGHT" to "I MUST LOSE WEIGHT" or "I HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT". I had been praying about this a lot; and then started noticing a big difference.

At first, I put it all down to the LORD must be giving me some extra strength to resist over-eating but maybe He put this in my mind. When I read this, I realized that this kind of thinking can become a great MOTIVATOR to take a different kind of ACTION! Whatever it is, it is working ...

I recalled ROCKIN ROBIN saying to someone a while ago, something very similar to this -- "you just have to get to the point where you want to lose the weight more than anything else ... ie more than you want to eat the junk." (paraphrased).

I have often thought that some people would rather starve than be fat; as I do know some people that eat very little to stay ultra-ultra thin (I mean, Twiggy thin). I have also heard of even worse extremes than this, believe it or not. Each of us has our own "personal" beliefs or rules about these kinds of issues; and I think that is reflected in our actions (as Anthony says) ...

Oh, and I did go back and read the first chapter, but got distracted by that later chapter when I saw it in the index ... I found the info in it so interesting and helpful. I can see why JORGE CRUISE liked this man so much and often referred to his ideas in his own book, "8 Minutes in the Morning".

He has a very positive outlook on life now (he too used to struggle with that at one time), which is something that I really believe in ... that is , THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING; and how it can transform our lives. Others I love are Norman Vincent Peale, and Mr. R. H. Schuller who are also "Positive" thinkers and teachers, as you may already know.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #60  

I to was confused on what fasting was Jenny and I do it for both my weight and Jesus. In First Place I learned to put Jesus in the center of everything. In my marriage my husband is the brains I am the heart and Jesus is the main blood vein. If I am in the garden well Jesus is involved . He is everywhere in my fasting in my eating in my reading in my driving. Was I glad he was with me today! I had to go to Lampasses and pick up some seed and my cousin of all people ran right out in front of me in her pick-up truck had to put on the brakes and then she was headed right toward me Geee! Then she swerved over on her side. She missed me about 4 feet, I just got through praying asking God to protect everyone from me! Then I relized I forgot my purse and had to go back home and get it. Thank the dear Lord for that, if I had got all the way to town that would of been horrible without my purse.
Back to fasting I use juice , coffee just no solid foods.

Here is a couple of websites I came across but you know when Gary comes back I bet he will know allot about fasting. I just fast as long as i feel to when in my heart i feel enough is enough well I feel like that is God guiding me.
Here is the two web sites on fasting that may be interesting.

http://www.spirithome.com/fasting.html#whatis

http://www.juicefasting.org/juice-fast.htm
Rosebud I walked 6.5 miles today, that is a normal day.