Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Oh, I am the same ... big time; that's why I mentioned it! So, when I call myself "dummy" or whatever, I now apologize to myself and GOD (after all, he made us in HIS image and so we not only insult ourselves, but HIM too). I also come from a highly critical family full of ultra-perfectionists, which causes us to be overly critical of ourselves. That therapist from BC says this was common of ALL her anorexic and ED patients ... whoah!

Now, I must say that many people in my family are very smart; but when that intelligence is used the wrong way, say to look down on or be overly critical of others, then that is not a good thing (the bible calls that the sin of "haughtiness")!

We all have to be very careful of what we say to and about others; offering advice is one thing -- but constantly criticizing our loved ones is damaging to their self-esteem and self-image (and to those that are listening like children)! Plus, it is very catchy ... so, now I pray for us and them too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-19-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #17  
Rosebud

Here's a link to a substantial preview of the book THIN WITHIN by Judy and Arthur Halladay -- I think many of you will find it enjoyable ...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=TPmu...page&q&f=false

Rosebud
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #18  
Rosebud

It was late last night when I posted that link for the THIN WITHIN book so I had to get to bed; but it took me all evening to read it and some parts in the middle I skimmed over quickly. I was flabbergasted by how similar their spiritual and practical views were to the ones that I believe the LORD shared with me over the last 5 years while seeking an answer to my weight issues.

I have never read any of their books or the weigh down ones either. The stuff I learned was just from private bible study -- you know, JESUS said that if we seek, we shall find (Matthew 7:7). I think that means, if we diligently seek for wisdom & understanding, we will find what we are looking for becuz GOD is faithful and true to HIS word.

It seems that the Halladays also believe that we have been lookin' for LOVE in all the wrong places. Thank goodness, we are now learning to seek out GOD's perfect, pure love -- for GOD IS LOVE! (1 John 4:8).

Can we really ever get enuff of GOD's awesome love; I think not -- until we are over there on those celestial shores, but in the meantime, we can ask that the HOLY SPIRIT fill us up to overflowing with more of GOD's pure, sweet love.

ROMANS 5:5 ~ "The LOVE OF GOD has been poured into our hearts, through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

I think that we need to remind ourselves daily that GOD LOVES US, and read the beautiful LOVE scriptures in the book(s) of John(s) on a regular basis to remind ourselves of that, like ...

JOHN 3:16 ~ "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD (us), that he gave HIS only begotten son, that whosoever should believe in HIM shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

Here's some more scripture verses about GOD's love ...

PROVERBS 8:17 ~ "I LOVE THEM THAT LOVE ME; and those that seek me early, shall find me." (two for one there)

2 THESS 2:16 ~ "Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and GOD, even our Father, WHICH HATH LOVED US ..."

JOHN 15:9 ~ "As the Father hath loved me, SO I HAVE LOVED YOU: continue ye in my love." (Jesus is speaking here)

JOHN 16:27 ~ "For the Father himself LOVETH YOU, because ye have loved me (Jesus), and believed that I came out from Him."

1 JOHN 4:7/8 ~ "Beloved, let us love one another; for LOVE IS OF GOD: for GOD IS LOVE." (condensed)

1 JOHN 4:10/11 ~ "Herein is Love, not that we loved GOD, BUT THAT HE LOVED US."

1 JOHN 4:19 ~ "We love Him (GOD), because HE FIRST LOVED US."

BTW, I was impressed with what I read, and will definitely see if I can find a copy of their book so I can read it all -- maybe through our local library or even order one if I can ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-21-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I am going to check at our local Library and see if they may even have it before I go to the book store. I am really impressed reading it.

Went to town with my friend Lanell and we split some nachos. They were good too!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for the verses. I'm very much in need of reminding. Funny thing, I know those truths, and I'll be the first to tell someone else how much God loves them, but I have a harder time really believing it about myself. Most often I feel like the red-headed step-child (as my mom always said!) that God kind of just let by since I came along with the others that He really opened His arms wide to. I find myself reading those verses and asking...really? Do you mean that even for me? And I so want to believe it, but it's hard to feel it a lot of times. So I often have to CHOOSE to believe it, despite how I feel, because God said it and I believe His Word is truth. That's not always easy though!

I think I'll dig that book back out, it's been ages since I looked at it, but it might be good to go through it again.

Blessings on you both today!
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #21  

Oh Jenny, I too have felt that way at times but now it is like my eyes have been opened and I really don't understand why. I think it had a lot to do with Kelly, Rosebud, Gary, Barrgo. Trish and LeeAnne that none of you know. LeeAnne if she could of reached through the computer she would of pulled me up by my ears . She is one awesome Lady. Instead like Rosebud she pulled me up with kind words ,encouragement, suggestions etc.. Through out this year I thought God was angry with me, but they kept praying and pouring their love out toward me and Jenny I know God loves me for he helped me when I was 7,17,18 and gave me a wonderful husband for almost 39 years, daughter and 5 grandchildren, . When I went through with I did with my brother he was working in the back ground for him , just because you don't feel,see him working does not mean he is not got the wheels in action! Does not mean he does not love you.

Joyce Meyer said in her book,Straight talk. God accepts us and loves us as we are, but Satan tries very hard to keep us from really understanding that.Satan brings pressure on us from many different sources to try to keep us feeling we don't measure up to the standard of where we should be. He does not want us to find out we can accept and like ourselves just as we are because he knows if we ever do that, something wonderful will begin to happen for us.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #22  

I gained 5 pounds in one day but I stayed up all night and drinking hot tea. By the end of yesterday I had lost all but two pounds. This morning they were gone! Has this ever happened to any of you?
Gee everything has been going wrong but it is that time of the year. It seems like every year about this time I just cannot do anything right. I have laughed so much in the past 3 days it is unreal first My cake falls apart , But I saved part of it. Then I made a pound cake to do the store on the cake and it did not raise right and when I tried to cut it , it cut but half I was going to use for the side walk fell in to the floor! The pound cake would not work the way it raised and I said Shoot! What am I going to do? Then I thought I will put a tractor on there and since when you turn 60 you kinda feel older than you should I will put on there. TURNING 60, AND MY WIFE THINKS MY TRACTOR IS STILL SEXY! Remember the country song She thinks my tractor is sexy? I was going to make it in green and yellow, did not have those colors and I was not going back to town so made it blue and white and put a tractor and hay sq hay baler on it. I dread tomorrow I just know something is going to go wrong! Please pray it turns out good for my husband and NO MORE POT HOLES FOR ME! I am so tired of laughing at myself , well better than crying!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #23  
Rosebud

OH BOOTSIE ~ I know how you feel; sometimes, when I am making something for others, it doesn't turn out as well as the ones I am just making for DH and I; don't know why that is (maybe rushing too much; I don't know). Anyhow, last Christmas, I made a pumpkin pie for DH & guests; and a pumpkin custard for me & whoever else wanted some. Well, I forgot to put the eggs in the pie (but the custard was fine), so I went to take a piece out for DH and it was so soft that it plopped upside down on top of the custard.

I was so shocked that I started laughing, of course -- and then everyone said that they wanted the custard instead ... Do you blame them? I checked my egg carton later, and counted the eggs, realizing that I still had 2 extra eggs left over. Well, good ole DH sure loves pumpkin pie becuz he ate it all anyways.

Am definitely sending up some prayers for you that your party goes off without a hitch tomorrow. Good thing that you laugh at these things Bootsie, it's better than crying indeed. Sometimes, I let myself get too upset over some things, and I am slowly learning to take things lighter.

Quote:
Joyce Meyer said in her book,Straight talk. God accepts us and loves us as we are, but Satan tries very hard to keep us from really understanding that.Satan brings pressure on us from many different sources to try to keep us feeling we don't measure up to the standard of where we should be. He does not want us to find out we can accept and like ourselves just as we are because he knows if we ever do that, something wonderful will begin to happen for us.

My biggest emotional issue these days is when my DH gets impatient with me, and blows his top for some very minor, silly thing. There are men around me here that do this to their partners/wives all the time. Why do men do that? He came back later and apologized, but I had stewed on it all morning -- trying to console myself and telling myself that it wasn't my fault (and it wasn't).

Edit to add ~ BTW, I didn't eat this time; so that is a victory right there, but instead -- I went to my chair and spent some time praying and singing praises instead. Then I spent the rest of the morning, doing some fall cleaning too ...

Thankfully, GOD used this time to help me write another song; one about GOD's Holy Spirit filling us up overflowing with his awesome, pure love. HE always turns my bad days into good ones, but I get concerned about my blood pressure sometimes. Oddly enuff, my devotional that day turned out to be about people who use their mouths like swords -- wounding people and damaging their relationships with unkind words. (Proverbs 12:18)

I shared this with DH when he came home -- he kept apologizing, but I asked him if he could please work on this, and I will too. I am praying that the LORD will help him, but also thought about what you said above, that I think that YKW sometimes uses people to put us down and discourage us; maybe this is a test, I don't know -- but this is a big one for me.

I was also reminded today in another devotion, to forgive people who are at times -- UNLOVABLE! I see a theme here. I think PAUL or JESUS once said that it is easy to love people who are always nice to us, but it is much more difficult to love those who aren't; and that will receive a much greater reward. We were actually COMMANDED to love one another (1 John 3:23).

LOVE IS AN ATTITUDE, LOVE IS A PRAYER;
FOR SOMEONE IN SORROW, A HEART IN DESPAIR;
LOVE IS GOOD WILL, FOR THE GAIN OF ANOTHER;
LOVE SUFFERS LONG, WITH THE FAULT OF A BROTHER!
(anonymous)

I think we have to remember this whenever we are dealing with spouses, family, and other close relationships; well, everyone really, but we must rely on the strength of the LORD to help us too ... (Phil 4:13)

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-24-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

HI All, I am very glad to find this sight, seems everyone is willing and has the same goals. I have wanted some sort of fellowship of this kind for a long time. back in 1999 or so i prayed for about 8 months that God would show me how to eat how he made us to eat, then i saw a book by a Christian and after reading I knew this was God's plan for me. After following it on and off for years I fell away from it for years and recently felt drawn back to reading Rise Above once again. I know this is God's plan for me and I know each individual is different and this may not be for everyone. So my goal is to stop emotional eating and stress eating and 'well i might as well give in I already ruined the day'
I would share I keep a prayer journal and a while ago I asked God for some scriptures for encouragement and truth in eating and he led me to Exodus and the verse where God asks Eve why she eats the apple and her response was the serpent tricked me. So many times I feel tricked into eating (how dumb is that) and I totally know it wasnt my idea but me giving into my flesh. Another awesome verse is 'you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do' I forget the text but have it upstairs. So I often quote that when I am tempted to eat when I am totally not hungry.
The mind is such a powerful thing and Iknow with Christ 'All things are possible' right?
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #25  
ChubbyChicChick

S/C/G: 198/194/132

Height: 5'4''

I've never actually considered praying for strength to make the right choices until I joined 3FC and found this group. It's not a crazy idea to ask our Creator for help to take care of the body He gave us, the Temple for His spirit...

Now I pray every morning that I will make the right choices and keep my body holy through right eating and exercising. After all, I don't want to become skinny to wear a bikini or to flaunt my curves, but to live longer and healthier.

But anyway, faith without deeds is dead in itself. So we do have to put a lot of our effort and commitment to it. God isn't going to bless us with something we didn't work hard for!!

Last edited by 60lbstogo; 09-24-2010 at 10:25 PM.
60lbstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #26  
Rosebud

Yes, ASHLY ~ follow whatever plan works best for you; we are all doing different things here and that's OK. We all want to be healthy and feel good in our bodies. GOD loves us, and will help us; we are always encouraged to ask for strength and help throughout the scriptures (dozens of times in the Psalms alone). GOD knows that we need His help to overcome tough challenges in this life. JESUS always answered temptation with scripture ... the first one was food (oddly enuff, the same temptation Eve had: food). The first sin and the first temptation ... so trust me, the LORD does care and He understands!

60 ~ oh yes, we all need GOD's strength and wisdom to make better choices for everything in this life.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-24-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #27  

I am on a all nighter again taking a break. Glad you found us Ashley and welcome 60IBs to go! I have to get busy but just wanted to welcome both of you here , will be back after 1 PM tomorrow sometime, after the party . Have a wonderful day and I am praying for all of you.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

I would really like to join in on this with you. I have failed in the past because I tend to be an all or nothing person, so if I had a bad day, I just give up. I would love the support of some other Christian ladies.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Good day friends! Haven't checked in here for a couple days, but I'm still here I'm so happy to see some new friends too, it always helps to have more support.

Jill, I'm the same way, all or nothing. I'm trying hard to overcome that, since that's what tends to lead me into binging. I'll be doing ok, then eat something (or somethings!) that I feel I shouldn't, then I feel like I've just blown it and I may as well just give up and I end up eating everything in sight and feeling horrible. I had someone tell me once that just because I slipped a couple steps, doesn't mean I have to fling myself down the whole flight of stairs!

Hi Ashley! Yes, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! Good one to remember! And I like the verse about not being obligated to obey our flesh, I'll need to write that one down, thanks!

Welcome too, 60lbstogo! Thanks for the reminder about faith/deeds. I do think I often pray, but then don't actively act to resist my temptations (eating) And then I wonder why I'm struggling. I did a study once regarding weight loss and food issues and one of the principles was replacement, I have to replace my overeating or eating when I'm not hungry with something else edifying...Bible study, prayer, worship, etc. I hadn't thought about that until your comment. Thanks too!

Bootsie...I hope your party was wonderful!

Rosebud...congratulations on not turning to food when your husband upset you. That's huge! And I think it's great you were able to talk w/ him about it and decide it's something you can work on together.

I'm doing allright today, recommitted myself to eating better today and I feel good. It's amazing how much I crave food even when I'm not hungry though! DH is on a car trip with my oldest right now, and the little ones are asking for pizza. I told them we could get some, and I'm praying for the strength to resist it! LOL! I've also managed to get some exercise in again this week, although today I'm counting a few hours of house cleaning as my exercise Anyway, Hope you all have a great evening!
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #30  

WELCOME JILLY! So glad you are joining us. Please don't give up Jilly ,we all have to many bad days, but just give old Satan a good kick and tell him he just cannot keep a good woman down! You eat wrong so what, that is just a pot hole, he dug to cause you to stumble. God invented the shovel ( wisdom) to feel those pot holes up. Make yourself smile and think in your mind you can do this , keep telling yourself positive talk back, throw the negative right out into the trash. Please don't stop, just get back up and start again. I find having a goal helps and then taking positive actions to achieve my goal. After I conquer that goal set another one and again take positive action to achieve it. There are going to be so many things that will try to stumble you and throw you off track, please beware of this be ready to take action, like Rosebud did.
Thank You Rosebud for sharing that with us, it strengthened my soul .

I am so tired, the party went great and we seen lots of friends! Was not very many though and we have cake left over , the dogs,chickens and goats are getting what is not chocolate and the rest I will throw part away. Hubbie wants me to keep some and freeze, well I feel that will make me stronger knowing I can resist temptation waiting for me in the freezer. I am going to look at it like exercise for my mind and soul instead of fear of failing again. I think we have to exercise our thoughts because that is really what puts us back where we don't want to be.

I know a-lot of my over eating or eating not so healthy foods mainly have to do with my taste buds not because I am hungry getting those craves If I can control my taste buds I think I will regain control once more. So that is my goal for this week. In doing this I am going to look at more healthy recipes to prepare in our budget. I know there are certain foods that really put the weight on me so I am staying away from them and those are Brown Beans, Lima Beans, macaroni , rice, cookies and ice cream . Exercise I am constantly walking except this coming week my husband is cutting hay so that means I work at the store but I will be cleaning and lifting 50 pounds of feed so I will get some exercise in and walking back and forth to the house to the restroom should put a mile in per day on that. Then when I get off I have to take care of the animals so there is 90 minutes of walking there. it takes me 60 minutes to walk 3 miles so that is what I would put in each day. I sure am looking forward to bed tonight so tired. Hope y'all have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Bootsie; 09-25-2010 at 10:44 PM.