Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default How do I let go?

How do I let go of control and give it to God? i know I have no real will power, if I did, I wouldn't be an over eater and 50lbs over weight, so how do I lean on Gods power? I have read the verses Prov 3 5-6 and Psalm 28:7 But how do I physically do it? It is so hard to know if the choices I make are my own or Gods will. sometimes i think I have more important issues He wants to work on in that even though my weight and diet are my priority, maybe they aren't His. Any advice, prayers, verses?
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'6

Ya know , God gives us tools to work with like determination, the want to, the support from other people that are in the same boat, we just have to learn how to use these tools and let our Lord work on us. Being here asking the question how, is your first step forward ,you got it in you to do it, you just got to do it . Our Lord is not going to hand our weight loss to us we are his work in progress, there are other areas that he needs to change before any of us lose weight. I will tell you my story:

I had been to the doctor and he had put me on an aktins diet, my friend and I were walking two miles a day, and I was loosing but I just felt like I needed more. I was tired of being fat & ugly and I needed help I needed support so I prayed and prayed. I was going by the Baptist church to the post office one day and on the sign was First Place diet meeting tomorrow night, WOW! A diet meeting!! I wanted to go and I called my friend up and she he hawed about going because it was at a church, but she did go but she said it was not for her,but it was for me, I had no idea that God was gonna turn me inside out and change my whole life but he did and the weight started coming off so easy! I lost 90 pounds in 1.5 year. It was unreal, I would look in the mirror in the mornings and scare myself because it looked like a stranger looking back at me. It was hard for me to get used too. I have 4 pictures of me and I look like 4 different women! My attitude toward life is so different, I used to drink and cuss , now I do neither. I used to gossip now i don't. People that knew me then and that know me now say I sure have changed but not just in size and they are right.

The only one that would know the answer to your question is you, have some quiet time with the Lord and talk to him . Join a support group or get one together yourself. Sometimes I just open the Bible and God has the answer right in front of me, his word is powerful but yet so loving. I like Romans chapter12 , chapter 14 and chapter 7 verse 15 I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right but I don't do it Instead , I do the very thing I hate . That is like I want to eat and plan to eat and then there I go and eat the very thing that I don't want to eat . That is when I knew I had to gain control of my eating.

I don't know if I helped you are not but please seek the Lord in some quiet time. I know that you do have the will power all you have to do is do it. I hope to see you back on here telling us you did it!
Nita Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

the First Place plan sounds awesome, I looked it up and found a meeting near me but looked like it was a pretty old listing. I might email the leader to see if they are still doing it.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #4  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Willow-Letting go is very hard. We are only human and we like to try to keep control of our lives. My attempts to control my diet and health lead me into severe pain and over 140 extra pounds. It wasn't until I was in so much pain that I couldn't make it 4 hours without ibuprofen that I finally gave up my control and asked God to help. I had prayed for guidance and "please help me lose weight" before many times, but this time, I prayed that God would show me exactly what I needed to do. I prayed that He would show me the way that I, no one else, could do what He wanted me to do. The first thing He showed me was an article listing this site (3fc) for diet support. After that, He showed me many threads from many people who talked about calories and just committing to doing something to get healthier. I'm serious about God leading me to this, because I had never, ever contemplated joining a support site or any kind of web networking site before. He knew that learning that other people were struggling with the same things I was would make a big difference for me, as I don't have many friends or family.

God also knew that I had to commit to this, not worrying about motivation or willpower, because MY will only leads to pain. I committed to trying what I had read about and found that success was possible, even though I had no real motivation to work any plan.

God also lead me to start studying the book of Hebrews and learn more about true faith in Him. A couple verses that jumped out at me are Hebrews 4:15-16 "Jesus understands every weakness of ours, because he was tempted in every way that we are. But he did not sin. So whenever we are in need, we should come bravely before the throne of our merciful God. There we will be treated with undeserved kindness, and we will find help." I've read Hebrews many times, but never had noticed how powerful these verses are. We can come to him bravely, with no fear of judgment, because He knows who we are, where we are, and He will KINDLY give us the help we need.

I also decided to get more involved in my church and started going to one of the Sunday morning classes, which turned out to be a study on true revival and how our sin keeps us from knowing God. Colossians 3:12-13 says,"God loves you and has chosen you as his own special people. So be gentle, kind, humble, meek, and patient. Put up with each other, and forgive anyone who does you wrong, just as Christ has forgiven you." Being gentle, kind, patient and forgiving includes being those things to MYSELF as well as others, even when I try to take back control and mess up the plan.

Sorry I'm going on so long, but my heart goes out to you. I'll be praying for you.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Giving anything to GOD is the hardest thing I have ever done..that because you no longer have control over it...if you truly give it to him. You have to do what you know is right and wait for God to do his will!! I have a long story of how I had prayed and prayed for answers to a problem and until I truly gave it to God I never got answers..then in just one week after trusting him with it totally I had my answers. Yet I struggle everyday with things I should just give to God totally.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quickly here....you already have such great advice!

As already said God has given you the resources to take care of yourself...right here being a perfect example.

You said you aren't sure if your choices are yours or God's at times....well...if the choice is a good choice for you it is God's. You know the difference.

There very well may be other issues God wants to work on....but HE sure can do more than one thing at once...working on your weight is not an either/or situation. You know this.

To let go in this case means to "focus" on doing what good things you can for yourself...letting God take care of you.

Blessings and prayers - Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote