3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #3 - June 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/85846-cool-runners-3-june-2006-a.html)

skinnyjeans 06-29-2006 07:41 PM

Look out everyone! Sounds like Midwife is getting addicted to running.

I used to feel fat and lazy on my rest days also, but now I just feel tired.

YP1 06-30-2006 01:49 AM

I didn't have rest days for a long time, I'd just do different types of exercise every day. Not I've realised that I'm not going to put 100lb on overnight just because I don't work out I really enjoy them! My lie in on a Friday morning signals the beginning of the weekend to me!

midwife 06-30-2006 10:56 AM

I guess I am afraid that one day is going to turn into two and then 3 and then 6 months!! (I tend to exaggerate my worries!)

I stubbed my toe dreadfully last night at kick cardio. Today is it bruised and stiff. I will do 35 minutes on the elliptical and maybe run later tonight, if it feels better.

softballmom 06-30-2006 01:16 PM

Hi Midwife, I have the same fear that if I let one day go I will slide back down the exercise slide. I've been forcing myself to do something for a minimum of 30 minutes each day in order to keep the routine in check. The only "rest" days I have is an occasional misstep due to schedules, and I have to work real hard in the head the next day. Same thing with my meals - which is good, I guess, but then I fear that I won't have the fear when I start maintaining and living life as an active, healthy person. Go figure!
And by the way, hope the toe heals up nicely for you.

Lekker 06-30-2006 10:25 PM

You all impress me very much with your running! I chuckle, though, I take several rest days from running, but all you that run most days are my goal! :)

Today I ran 2.5 miles (4km) in about 35 min., which is not as far as I could do on Monday. On Monday I went 3.5 miles (5.5km) in 45 min., but it was in the morning, and I seem better in the morning. Plus, I had floor hockey last night (a very intense, agressive game - seriously there was blood - in a rec league!) and the intensity/impact from that wears a bit at this point. But I can't believe that I ran more than 5k on Monday! I can actually complete a 5k race! Will wonders never cease? :) Perhaps I will be confident enough to sign up for one later this summer - it'd be neat to do an 'official' 5k. A friend (who's marathon training) wants to get me out for a Friendly Run at the Running Room later in July, so for sure by then I'll make it to running outdoors and out of the comfort zone of my treadmill.

midwife 06-30-2006 11:02 PM

Thanks, Softballmom. Sigh. We were running laps to warm up and I stumbled and fell flat on my face. I doubt I will ever be very graceful! It is better tonight. I limited myself to elliptical today. Tomorrow I have a 6.5 mile run mapped out. Wish me luck!! Even better, wish that I can find a clean sports bra! Haha!

Lekker, go for a 5K race. It does wonders to boost the old confidence!!

YP1 07-01-2006 03:16 AM

I've just been out for 7 miles nice and early on a Saturday morning, I'm going to be spending most of the day driving down to London and back so I wanted to make sure I got my run in before I set off. 15 miles tomorrow!

midwife 07-01-2006 09:28 AM

6.6 mile run plus .4 mile walk/cooldown. I have never run that far in my entire life before!!

Sheila53 07-01-2006 04:10 PM

Okay, I signed up for a July 4 5K run--my first 5K ever. I'm rather nervous about it, mainly because I don't want to be last. Any encouragement greatly appreciated! :)

Only Me 07-01-2006 04:19 PM

I escaped the rain this morning. I got home less than 5 minutes before it started though. It was nice and cool and windless this morning. I ran just over 11k at an easy pace.

Helen, I think our schedules have synced for the weekend. I ran just under 7 miles today and am aiming for about 24k/15miles tomorrow.

midwife, great job on hitting a new distance.

Sheila, good luck with your 5k. I'm sure you'll do great.

Lekker, you can do a 5k. Starting out with a friendly run sounds like a good idea too.

YP1 07-02-2006 05:56 AM

Only Me - how did you go? I ended up doing 15.5 miles in the end. I went quite slowly because it was HOT out there and I didn't want to overdo it, but I got round in one piece and I'm pretty pleased with how I ran. I walked a couple of times after 12 miles, but I ran the first 12 miles straight which I was really pleased with (when I set out it was so warm I was considering taking a walk break each mile). I wish I could have got out earlier, but I only got in at midnight last night so getting out at 7.30 on Sunday morning was still quite an achievement!

Only Me 07-02-2006 08:21 AM

Helen, good for you for getting out there in the heat. Slow is good for long runs. They're there for the endurance anyway. The marathon pace runs, intervals and tempo runs are for speed.

It was absolutely pouring rain, windy and only 12C, which feels nice and warm in March, but rather cold in July. 4k into the run, absolutely soaked and running into the wind, I decided it just wasn't worth it and headed home. My cutback week long run turned into a short run I guess. Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow and do it then, or maybe I'll just let it go. Last week was my biggest ever with about 73km/46 miles running, plus biking the kids back and forth to camp every day.

iowasteph2 07-02-2006 06:44 PM

Hello, everybody!! It seems like a while since I've last posted! Woops!

sheila, it is quite doubtful that you will be the last, and even if you are, no one would ever notice! Trust me! I was so fearful that I would be the last person when I ran my first 5k. I was new to running, and I had no clue how races usually go. I started way at the back of the back, only to realize once the race started, that most of those people were actually walkers!! So, I had to weave in and out of a ton of people! It's hard to guesstimate where to start in the pack, but don't do like I did!

For those who train listening to music--do you also run races with music? Also, do you find the cord to your headphones to be incredibly long? I end up having to wrap it around my MP3 player a number of times. Do they make short cords?

I plan on running a 4th of July race on Tuesday. There's a 4k and a 4 mile. Truth be told, I'm feeling like the 4k sounds better....it's been so hot that it's been hard to properly train, and I've only done one other race (5k).

You know what else, I was searching different races in my area, and I found a site that listed times. I saw 2 of my cousins' names, and they had good times!! I'm very competitive, so now I know that I must go faster! lol

Lucky13 07-03-2006 10:10 AM

I got in 7 miles in 65 minutes...I was pretty pleased with that considering I'm still trying to get my mileage up again.

I've got another 7 on task for this weekend :)

Have a great week!

Lekker 07-03-2006 12:07 PM

Yesterday I got in 5.6 k (on the treadmill). It was in the evening, so I had to push it a bit at the end. Besides that, I've been trying to get in a lot of biking. I'm trying to make it a rule to not use my car at all on weekends.

Hope everyone is having a lovely long weekend!