3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #3 - June 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/85846-cool-runners-3-june-2006-a.html)

softballmom 06-18-2006 06:17 PM

Finished up Week 1 of the C25K this weekend. Tomorrow starts Week 2 which is 90 sec of run / 120 sec (2min) of walk. Just the extra 30 seconds taunts me. Okay, chant "I love a challenge...I love a challenge..." And then the third week.. okay we will not think about it until later in the week.

I am really enjoying it though. Especially afterwards, I am so pumped. I'm dangling next year's Peachtree Road Race in front of me for motivation and self-discipline. I think taking the advice from a lot of you to hook up with a road race will keep me focused for the long haul.

Lucky13 06-19-2006 11:23 AM

got in 5 miles on Friday - I haven't run 5 miles in a while so I was pretty happy that I was able to complete it. I didn't run on Saturday but woke up early on Sunday and got in 6 miles (on an empty stomach - man I felt week...) and did my yoga/exercise ball work out. All in all, I felt pretty good about that.

DH and I have a July 4 run (8K) we plan on doing - that should be pretty tough weather-wise - even though it starts at 7:30am...

half-marathons - While I do agree that once you get past mile #3 or 4, it's definitely tough...usually it's the weather that keeps me going (it's usually cold and/or raining when i've done mine) so i know if i stop to walk i'm just going to get even colder!! Plus, you get this certain mentality where you say to yourself - "look, you've trained for how long for this and now you're going to walk? I don't think so...keep your butt moving!"

midwife 06-19-2006 02:15 PM

Ran 3 miles today at a comfortable pace and then raced along the straight parts of the track and walked the curves for about...8 more laps. The speed work was a blast. I felt like a little kid!

VelVeeta 06-19-2006 04:49 PM

I think i have lost my mind but i signed up for the Army 10 miler (for any of you DC people) and i am so nervous. Its in October so i have plenty of time but still, i just ran my first 10K last weekend and it was the farthest i have ever run!! EEK! Going to get some new shoes today and start preparing!

skinnyjeans 06-19-2006 08:41 PM

Hey everone. I am with you on the heat. Whew. Today it was so humid I could have been swimming. HaHa. I have a wicking shirt but really need the sport bra for under it instead of regular cotton.

Today was the first official training day for my marathon. I printed out a copy of the course and highlighted the distance equal to what I ran today. I figure this will help motivate me for the long runs. The Detroit Marathon actually crosses into Canada and back over to the US. I am just about to "cross-over" to Canada and looking forward to filling in enough to "cross-back". Kind of silly, but what-ever motivation works!

I officially registered today and sat there grinning about it for a few minutes. I so excited and hoping to ride this as long as possible.

SJ

Ilene 06-19-2006 09:07 PM

It's hot and humid here too!! This morning I went out at 5am and jogged 5k took me 40 minutes... Oy, I swear I am getting worse instead of better at running :mad:

softballmom 06-19-2006 09:44 PM

Did my Day 1 of Week 2 of the C25K program tonight. One word - whew! Never realized a mere 30 seconds more could be that challenging. For the 90 second runs, it was a body over mind thing to just do it. But afterwards, it felt soooo good. It was very exhilarating to know that I accomplished it. Maybe Day 2 will flow easier and I can enjoy the moment, or maybe not - ;)

webweevil 06-20-2006 08:05 AM

The good news is that I just finished week #1 of the C25K program. Yeah! :carrot: I think this run was a little easier as far as the breathing/heart-rate is concerned. The bad news is that I hurt my knees. On the previous run I thought I twisted my left knee slightly, but today both knees hurt. I think maybe I was lifting myself up too high and coming back down too hard on my knees on the first two runs. I put ice on them for about ten minutes. Tomorrow I'll walk for 30 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to move on to week #2 on Thursday.

Lucky13 06-20-2006 08:20 AM

I ran 5 miles in 45 minutes last night - woohoo :)

Will have to take tonight off but will get back at it tomorrow

AnneWonders 06-20-2006 10:16 AM

Question for all you running moms

So for those of you with kids: when does the cycle of baby colds end? I went to my doctor yesterday, got some steroids for my nose (yay steroids!) and am feeling better after about 4 weeks of nagging illness (and non-existent to crappy running). Not 100% yet, but good enough so the sense of desperation is leaving. BUT I wake up this morning and DD is once again a snot volcano. So here it comes again. I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails, reading Helen's and Skinny Jean's (you go girls) marathon plans with envy, and wondering when I'm going to be healthy enough to run more than once a week again? Can anybody tell me what I'm in for? Sigh.

The aquathlon series continues tomorrow, every Wednesday until August, and I'll probably race again, even though my last one was pretty rough and I have done ZERO training since last week. What the heck?

Webweevil, softballmom, great job on the C25K program! You'll be cruising in no time. Good running Ilene, midwife, Only Me (2 DD in a stroller!!), and Lucky13. Sorry if I'm missing anybody! I'll be thinking of you in this heat. We are scheduled for 108 degrees today. And Ilene, runs do slow down considerably in the heat--you are not getting worse!

Anne

Stephanie Osborne 06-20-2006 10:59 AM

Ok so question for you all and esp. any one who has done the c25k program...

I am on week 7 now but thinking maybe I should repeat some weeks. Here is my rationale. The program tells me to walk for 5 mins then run for 25 minutes OR 2.7 miles...up until recently I had been hitting the local track and running for 25 minutes not worrying to much about my distance. Then it got to me...I am signing up to run a certain distance not a certain length of time. Maybe I should be running the distance regardless of how long it takes. SO Sunday I tried to run the 25 minutes like they suggest and see if I can up with the right distance...I was right at 2 mi. So now I am all bummed that my progress may have been superficial...When it makes a suggestion like 25 minutes OR 2.7 mi which should I do as a beginner? Oh and as far doing 2.7 IN 25 minutes - I am laughing already

softballmom 06-20-2006 01:28 PM

StephieWilliams: I am going to keep checking back and hopefully someone will have an answer regarding time vs distance. I'm in Week 2 (only by one day) and I've been doing the time thing, but I know starting Wk 3 there is a choice between the two.

wndranne: It's been awhile since I've had "snot volcanoes" :lol: at my house. But, I do know that *this to shall pass*. Do what you can without too much guilt. Little ones are only little for awhile, then they grow up to drive your cars, eat your food, spend your money. :hug:

webweevil: Sorry to hear about your knees! Take care of them. Now that I am beginning to enjoy running that has become my new fear.

To everyone else: Keep on running, but be cautious in this heat!

Only Me 06-20-2006 02:59 PM

Stephie and softballmom, I did C25k by time only. Generally, the recommendation is to pick time OR distance and follow it all the way through. If your 30 minutes doesn't equal 5k by the end (not at all unusual) and you want to run 5k, just add 5 minutes per week after the 8 week program until you're running the full distance.

I think I'm getting an extra day off today because of dh's work schedule, needed grocery shopping, and a little end of year party at ds's school.

Anne, I'm sorry I can't help you with your cycle of colds. Ds didn't even get a cold until he was around a year. The girls got sick once or twice as babies, but not one after another. But, none of them were in daycare. I hope it gets better soon.

YP1 06-20-2006 03:21 PM

I'd agree, work on the basis of time at this stage and then if you're not covering 5k add to it when you've got to 30 minutes. If you've always been building up by distance then carry on with that, but don't make a big jump midway through - you should only be increasing your runs by a small amount each time so if you're going to have to run for 10 extra minutes to cover the distance rather than 5 extra to get the right time, that's too much of a jump.

I ran a surprisingly good 4 miles this morning which perked me up a bit. I was meant to be doing intervals on the treadmill but they were all taken so I just went outside and ran at a comfortable pace, and ended up going a fair bit faster than my comfortable runs have been recently. Tomorrow I'm doing 7 miles before work, I've finally sorted myself out with some energy drink powder on the basis my mileage is increasing, so I'm going to try that tomorrow and see whether it makes a difference to my run (I usually run before breakfast so that bit of energy might come in handy!)

Miaka 06-20-2006 04:12 PM

Back on Track!

Hi Guys,

I finally had the courage to post. Three weeks after my vacation I finally made it to the gym! I did 3 miles this morning, normally an easy run felt like I was dying! But still great afterwards. I guess I'll take it slow for a while and slowly get back to where I was.