3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #3 - June 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/85846-cool-runners-3-june-2006-a.html)

AmberD 06-08-2006 09:53 AM

Softball mom - I'm on a different running program than you are, but mine requires a minimum of 3 days, more is perfectly exceptable. I think as long as you aren't sore and your knees are holding up, you should be fine

Midwife - O boy chafing! Can I relate!!:dizzy: What's solved the problem for me is spandex under my shorts. It doesn't ride up, so the fabric is rubbing together instead of my thighs!! Mine are all cotton right now, but I would recommend getting something that breathes better. Also, I know a lot of people who use Body Glide. It's a basically looks like deo., but you put it on your legs and your feet and where your arms rub against your shirt and it lubricates and stops chafing. It's sweat proof, and usually only requires one application. I got mine on amazon for ~$6

Good luck on your first 10K Velveeta! That's so exciting!!!:carrot:

Everyone else GREAT JOB with the running ~!!

I am seeking a bit of advice.
I run three times during the week for approx 45 minutes and a long run on Saturday (8 miles this Saturday, and only going up from there)
I have great shoes, and they are only a month or so old. But after a run, the next day my knees kind of ache... It's not bad, completely bearable. But since I'm only at about a third of the distance I want to be, I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Any suggestions on what I can do? Would putting those heel cushions in my shoes help?

skinnyjeans 06-08-2006 09:54 AM

HI everyone. So far doing good on waking up to run. And it is much more comfortable temps at that time of day!!

Iowasteph-I just recently gained up a couple pounds also, mine was from vacation. I have noticed it slows me down a bit. But I am not freaking out because I feel really fit and I KNOW its just a matter or time before it drops back off.

Midwife- They make a gel called Bodyglide, or AstroGlide something like that you put on areas that chafe. It is a common problem for runners. I also read a thread in the 20's forum (I don't know how to link) on this as one of the girls was having the problem when wearing skirts. I read some great "home remedies" from baby powder and vaseline to a little anti-persperant in that area. You could also try wearing spandex/biking shorts under your run shorts.

SoftballMom- The program only calls for three days so that you body has a chance to recover on the off days. Running is pretty high impact and your body needs a chance to adjust to the pounding or you will get injured. People often get shin splints (Painful, hurts to take a step!) if they overdo at the beginning. Many runners do run consecutive days in a row (5 days a week) once they have become accustomed to the impact, until then I would stick with alternating days and do lower impact cardio like walking, biking, or rollerblading of the off days.

srmb60 06-08-2006 10:06 AM

Same time as yesterday plus 10 seconds to go back and fetch my hat. Dratted dump truck!

Stephanie Osborne 06-08-2006 11:18 AM

Week 5 Day 2...of the c25k program

Ok so this program just jumped up a notch...it got out of hand fast! I was feeling awesome after my last training run. I looked at the schedule and saw omg 2 eight minute running intervals and my jaw dropped. Went to a movie tonight and lost all daylight to run in...dragged my butt to the gym and guess what...I did it. I was so awesome I even upped my mph on the last minute of my last running interval to push myself just a little harder. Music blaring, heart pumping, sweat dripping I am a running goddess and did not even know it! Better keep this motivation week 5 day 3 calls for running 20 minutes straight with no breaks...up until now 11 minutes is the longest I have ever run...

Wish me luck, god I am so fricken proud!

velveeta - good luck on your 10k sounds like you have been training for it, I know you can nail it in under an hour.

iowasteph - Thanks for the advice...I try to not to skip or get behind, I could see how that would effect the programs effectiveness.

softballmom - the program gets hard after a while, I would say on your off days from the program do another kind of cardio that will still help your running stamina...spinning or biking is great for that. As for tips...hmmm I try to avoid the heat if I can, I bought a cheap watch from walmart that had a stopwatch built into it ($6) so I would not have to tote around my cell phone...oh and I bought running shorts but also spandex to put under them to keep them from riding up...

midwife - where in the rocky mountains are you? I haven't encountered chafing yet but I hear powder, or spandex could work...

midwife 06-08-2006 12:13 PM

Hi Steph, I am in NM...

Astroglide...that stuff has many purposes...I tell my post-partum ladies to use it for...ahem...dryness...hee hee.

I guess I will buy my very first spandex anything. Should be VERY amusing!

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

YP1 06-08-2006 03:08 PM

I've heard many good things about Bodyglide, but I've never used it myself. I've always just worn lycra shorts rather than baggy ones, or at least until my thighs got far enough apart not to cause huge problems (even so if it's hot or I'm running a long way I tend to just wear the lycra).

I'm refusing to be beaten by the blisters, and I ran 3.4 miles today without making it any worse. I'm not running again until Sunday (a 10k race) so hopefully they should heal a bit before then.

I have a dilemma though. My old shoes are worn out and causing foot (blister) and knee problems. I have some new ones that I'm picking up tomorrow morning on the way to work. I'm trying to decide between wearing the old ones and the new ones for the race. I know I shouldn't really wear new ones to race in without wearing them in, but they're exactly the same as my old ones which were fine on their first wearing, and 10k is actually relatively short by the standard of a lot of my runs at the moment, if I wasn't racing on Sunday I'd be doing a 6 miler and then a 12 miler in them over the weekend anyway. I'm tempted to just go with the new ones on the basis that the race is short enough that I'll be able to get through it as well as I tape my feet (particularly the blisters) up before the start.

bone idle 06-08-2006 03:34 PM

Hi all!

I completed my first 5k race last wkend (31mins 40secs -PB for me!). For the first couple of days after I felt really motivated to improve my running and start training for a 10k. But I feel that entusiasm starting to wane and Im really not motivated any more.

Do you guys ever get like this when you reach one goal and then start aiming for another?

Only Me 06-08-2006 06:11 PM

Helen, in your situation, I'd be tempted to wear the new shoes around the house or whatever you're doing on Saturday, so they'd be somewhat broken in for the race. I'm still waiting for my new shoes and alternating between two old, worn out pairs while I wait. I hate having small feet, it makes shoe shopping more complicated.

skinnyjeans, for running related chafing you want bodyglide. Astroglide could be useful for a different sort of chafing though. ;)

Amber, have you slowly worked up to your current running milage? Have you been taking an easier week once a month? I found that the first winter I increased my running distances, my knees ended up getting sore. Once I eased back a bit until they felt better, I was able to slowly increase again.

stephie, good luck with week 5, day 3. I still remember finishing that first 20 minute run! Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine.

bone idle First, congratulations on your first 5k! I sometimes do get a bit of a post-race let down after a big goal race. Paying for another race a couple of months away helps motivate me to keep training. Over the fall/winter, when I went about 6 months between races, reminding myself that 1) I like feeling fit , 2) I want to get faster, and 3) the best way to get faster is to keep running through whatever weather is thrown at me (ice storms excluded).

I got out for just under 15km this very windy afternoon. Luckily the skies just threatened rain the whole time, but held out until I got home. I even did the strides called for in my schedule. And "ran" (if you can call it that) up a long, tough hill.

midwife 06-09-2006 10:41 AM

Sounds like heavenly running weather, OnlyMe!

Well, I bought some spandex shorts and wore them last night to a kick boxing class with other athletic shorts over them.

Dang, my thighs and tummy looked really good! I think they will be the ticket to avoiding further chafing.

softballmom 06-09-2006 09:53 PM

Did my day 2 of week 1 for C25K program tonight. I went out at 730p instead of right after work at 4p. With the temps being cooler it didn't seem as hard, in fact I did it for 30min instead of the 20min.

I'm taking the advice of doing the program every other day to help rest up. Thanks for your responses.

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend.

webweevil 06-10-2006 07:06 AM

running

I was thinking of trying jogging/running for the first time as well. I ordered a "no bounce" bra from Title 9 the other day and am heading out today to pick up some type of compression short or capri. You guys have motivated me!

I've never jogged before. Running is good for cardio and legs. Any other parts of the body?

midwife 06-10-2006 09:34 AM

Webweevil...I find that it is good for my belly...I have the "incredible shrinking pannus" when I am running regularly! Does it make abs stronger? I try to focus on centering myself and keeping my abs tight when I run and it seems to help. It is great wt bearing exercise for our bones too.

I ran my long run this am....4 miles! My plan is to add 1/2 mile to that long run each week. Half marathon: here I come!!

AmberD 06-10-2006 10:55 AM

Congratulations on the 4 miles midwife! that's fantastic.

I got up at 6am and ran 8 miles (farthest I've ever gone), i'm going back to bed, I'll catch up with everyones post later

Only Me 06-10-2006 08:07 PM

It was rainy and cool, but at least it wasn't windy. I ran a 5k race today. The turn out was low probably because of the crappy weather. I finished in 23:58, a 20 second PB. And since the really fast women were running the 15k race, I also came in second place (out of five) and got a medal, which my 4 year old dd proudly wore all the way home. Tomorrow, back to the training schedule with the 28k long run that I should have done this morning.

AnneWonders 06-11-2006 09:53 AM

OnlyMe, that sounds like a great race. How did your long run go?

I got out this morning for my run. My training log says that the last time I actually ran was May 23! Anyway, my coach is giving me some definite run/walk splits to help me get back up to speed. Today's longest run interval was 10 minutes, but right in the middle of it I ran into a pack of javelina--they were kind of hidden in some shrub at the end of someone's driveway and before I knew it there we were. Eight adults, two babies. (These look a lot like small hairy pigs with big long sharp teeth and they can run way WAY faster than I can! http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/no..._collpecc.html) Anyway, mama was angry since I was too close to the babies, and I had to stand really really still for a while, until they decided to move away. I warned off a woman out walking her dog to stay back and not inflame the situation. Whew! Scary. At least my HR got up there!

Then I redid my prescribed intervals.

Here's hoping all of you have BORING runs today! And I do mean that in a good way.

Anne