3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #3 - June 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/85846-cool-runners-3-june-2006-a.html)

Ilene 06-01-2006 11:37 AM

Cool Runners #3 - June 2006

Hey Gang :wave:

June :eek: where, oh where is the time going?? This month my goal is to try to get some speed into my running, I must get faster! I have already started this week to do some HIIT training, along with hill intervals...I hope that will do it!

:coach: NEXT!

Stephanie Osborne 06-01-2006 12:28 PM

I cannot believe it is already JUNE! I have about 5 weeks left of my program...although...there is a 5k at the end of June in my hometown so I may get high hopes and try to do it before I am done...OVERACHIEVER...haha.

srmb60 06-01-2006 02:14 PM

Is it running if I only averaged 5 miles per hour?

Ilene 06-01-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB
Is it running if I only averaged 5 miles per hour?

Abssolutely!! I rarely run faster than that... Susan in my book if you're going faster than a fast walk it's running :yes:

Sweater Girl 06-01-2006 02:26 PM

Susan: Yes it is!!! We all run at different speeds, but unless I am racing, I average somewhere between 8-9KM per hour which is in the neighbourhood of 5 miles per hour!

Ilene, I saw in last month's thread that you did the 10K last weekend. How did you find it? A lot of people at work and I know through running participated, they wished they coralled the runners better and that there were more water stations. I went and saw my DF run the half marathon on Sunday... That weather was brutal, way too hot... I went in the shade and rested when I could.

right now.... still not running. I do plan on starting back in about 10 weeks!

Cheers!

Ali

Ilene 06-01-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweater Girl
Ilene, I saw in last month's thread that you did the 10K last weekend. How did you find it? A lot of people at work and I know through running participated, they wished they coralled the runners better and that there were more water stations. I went and saw my DF run the half marathon on Sunday... That weather was brutal, way too hot... I went in the shade and rested when I could.

Ali, yes I did run, I enjoyed the run and surprisingly being surounded by 4000 people didn't bother me. My time was horrible though 1:13 :faint: I did better in my very first race which was a 10k 2 years ago! But I will blame it on the heat and the race being held at 6:30PM. I was definitely tired after a full day of shopping and I do not do well in heat at the best of times. I also didn't sleep well the night before because of the excietment I guess ... YES there definitely could have been more water stations!! There was one at the 5k point and one at the 8k, I think it was... There should have been some at the very least every 2k... You say that your friends said that "they wished they coralled the runners better", I'm not sure what you mean :?: ... But all in all it was a great experience and I will definitely do it again next year but I will bring a water bottle ...

Sweater Girl 06-01-2006 02:56 PM

Ilene: yeah I didn't think that came out right. A lot of major races will corall runners by their estimated race times. The MDS Nordion will make sure the elite level runners are at the start line, but that's about it. I did the Boilermaker in Utica NY last year and they made our bibs different colours based on our estimated times, it made the race work very well, the only bummer since I was at the back it took forever to cross the start line, but it was worth it!

As for water, Eek 5K? yuck, the last 10K I did had a water station about every 1.5KMs (it was a small race though) and that was great. I also did a 10K once with one water stop at 5K (and of course that was the race I forgot the water bottle).

Nobody I talked to had a personal best over the weekend at whatever race they were at so don't worry about it! You did well regardless and it's hard to race in heat when you're used to cooler weather.

Take care!

Ali

Ilene 06-03-2006 07:05 PM

Here I am in the Ottawa 10k race last weekend, I look fat :(

iowasteph2 06-03-2006 07:07 PM

Guess what ladies---I ran my first race today!!! I'm so proud of myself! I ran a 5k in 31:19. I'm just happy that I finished, but I ended up 274 out of 1225. I had no clue what to expect of the whole event! Ali, I couldn't agree more with starting people according to their expected finish time. I thought I'd be one of the worst runners there, so I started toward the back. Little did I know that I would actually be passing people! Me? Passing people? There were big groups walking, and it seemed like they started way toward the front, and they travelled in herds, so it was so hard to pass them. Anyway, I just completed the Couch to 5k about a month ago. I'm very pleased with my first 5k. My goal time was 33 minutes. Yeah for running!!

iowasteph2 06-03-2006 07:09 PM

Oh, and Ilene--you absolutely do not look fat!!!

greenrunner123 06-03-2006 07:10 PM

Congrats on your first 5K and exceeding your time, Iowasteph!

Ilene- You do not look fat! You look so fit and strong and I think that is the greatest combination!

My shin splints are s-l-o-w-l-y healing so hopefully I will be back to my regular running schedule in a couple of weeks! Keep up the good work everyone!

Ilene 06-03-2006 07:16 PM

Steph that's awesome time for your first 5k :high: ...

iowasteph2 06-03-2006 09:47 PM

Thanks so much!! I really had doubts on running the race. The thought of spending money to run somewhere just seemed silly to me! But...I'm glad I did it, and I'll surely run some more. Thanks again, and thanks for inspiring me!

YP1 06-04-2006 03:22 PM

Steph, that's a fab time, well done!

It was my half today and it felt MUCH harder than my last one, even though half of it was exactly the same course. I was hoping to finish in around 1:50 and I was on track for that up to about 7 miles then I got a blister and my legs decided to give out on me. I managed to get back in 1:54 which is still just about a PB (a minute or so quicker than last time), but I wish I'd been able to carry on past half way. It was the hottest weather I've ever run in though (I didn't run outside last summer, and it's been the hottest weekend of the year so far here), and I've had a dodgy knee all week which can't have helped.

Not much running this week probably between recovering from that and preparing for a 10k on Sunday. Then that's probably my last race before the marathon in September. I like doing races, but they mess around with my schedule too much really and I want to go back to building up slowly and steadily rather than trying to fit long runs round race weekends.

And Ilene, you don't look fat ;)

srmb60 06-05-2006 11:04 AM

Look at those little black shorts! That's not fat, my friend!

I did 1.8 km in 13 minutes this morning. I think I'll go mark off 2 kms just for good measure. A nice round number.

AnneWonders 06-05-2006 11:41 PM

Tri done!

4 Attachment(s)
First off: Ilene, you do not look fat! You look amazing. Helen, another half! You are amazing. Steph, that is a great time for a 1st 5K! Woo, hoo! Ali, 4 weeks to go, where has the time gone? Hope you are feeling great. Greenrunner, take care of those shins. Run, SusanB, run! I'd kill for 5mph right now. Did I miss anybody? Such an amazing group of runners here.

OK, I did my tri this weekend. Olympic distance, that's 1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run. I was still sick, hacking and wheezing, and the race was at altitude, over 6000 ft, and it basically turned into a death march complete with hallucinations of snakes at one point. I couldn't run a step, except for vanity's sake at the finish line. But I did in fact finish it. Here are some pictures, and even though my time was really bad, I feel compelled to point out that it wasn't as bad as the clock would indicate. There was also a half-iron distance race on the same course that day.

Anne

P.S. Talk about looking fat! Those 15 sure do show.

Only Me 06-06-2006 09:40 AM

Anne, Great job on the tri under less than ideal circumstances. I live at sea level or a very few metres above that. Just walking at over 6000 ft would probably tire me out.

Helen, congrats on the new pb, even if it wasn't quite as fast as you hoped. It'll just be all the easier to beat next time. (I know how you feel, a bad side stitch at about 16km added at least a minute to my time during my last half. It was so frustrating.)

Steph, great job on your first 5k!

Ilene, you so do not look fat in your pic!

I'm actually attempting to follow a training program for the marathon, and I have, gulp, speed work on the schedule for this afternoon. Hope I survive it.

YP1 06-06-2006 03:17 PM

I had a good 4 mile easy run on the treadmill this morning which really got rid of the last of the soreness from my legs. I was only intending to struggle to 5k then realised that I was feeling better with every step I took so carried on for a bit.

My marathon schedule doesn't have speedwork on it, although I keep on feeling like I should do some anyway. But somehow I can never quite motivate myself ;)

WaterRat 06-06-2006 03:24 PM

Ilene - you look like a runner! And certainly not fat. :)

Anne - great job on the tri, esp at 6000' :eek: We spent the last 2 weeks of April in S. Utah, most of the time above 5000' I got a killer headache the night we spent near 9000' and all of the hiking was more of an effort than here where we're at, oh about 30' above sea level! :lol:

AmberD 06-06-2006 03:31 PM

Can I join the thread?

I'm very amazed with all of you and you're running! Congratulations on all the 5 and 10k's and the tri, it's truly impressive!

I'm not so much a runner as a wanna be runner. I signed up for a training program for a marathon in October, and over a month later I'm still sticking with it :) so I'm proud.

Only Me 06-06-2006 05:44 PM

Well, the speed work just did not happen. It was 27C/80F without taking humidity into account out there and sunny. Which makes it by far the hottest day of the year so far. I was running just after noon. So just running was more than difficult enough for me. I ran about 11k total, but ended up doing a walk/run the last 3 since I do not do heat well at all. I think I'll try and get up early tomorrow morning and run then. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get the speed work in then. I now remember why I used to get up about 5:30am to run last summer.

skinnyjeans 06-06-2006 08:58 PM

OK. It is time I quit lurking and hold myself accountable by posting. I probably won't be a consistant poster since I will be really busy with work, but I promise to drop in from time to time. Your posts have been really motivational to read.

My running is going well and here it is...Your the first people I am telling (big committment)...I am going to run a Marathon in October. My training officially starts next week. Unfortunately due to work constraints I will HAVE to get up in the mornings which is my downfall. But I know I can do it. I planned some weekly rewards to help get me going in the beginning. I'm pretty excited and am going to start practicing by getting up this week for my runs.

Keep up the good work everyone!

SJ

Stephanie Osborne 06-07-2006 01:17 PM

On week 5 day 2 of c25k today. My last training run went amazing. I was so excited the first two running intervals were cake...although on the third I was feeling pretty tired for the last min and a half. I cannot believe how far I have progessed. And I have switched to running everything outside, which I never thought I would be able to do. The only thing that is bumming me out lately is the heat....it is so hard to run in the hot.

iowasteph - congrats on your first race!!! I am on week 5 of the c25k program...good to see it works.

yp1 - sounds like an eventful race...great that you battled through the blister, legs giving out and your dodgy knee...once again you are an inspiration lol.

anne - wow is all I can say...

amber - ofcourse you can join :) I am a baby runner myself...

skinnyjeans - Good luck with your training.

srmb60 06-07-2006 01:29 PM

Today was my first shot at the 2k I measured earlier this week. 14 minutes 19. It's hot and I walked .... some :)

I need to find the instructions for my watch so I can use the stopwatch function.

YP1 06-07-2006 02:47 PM

I did about 6.5 miles this morning. My blister plaster moved during the run so it reformed a bit and I've been limping round for the rest of the day, but I've treated it again this evening so hopefully it will start to heal again. Plus my new trainers are on their way which will hopefully cure the problem (exactly the same as the ones I've got, but with about 500 miles less on the clock!)

VelVeeta 06-07-2006 03:49 PM

OK, i just put this in another post but I AM RUNNING my FIRST 10K this Saturday.....AHHHH...i have never run this far before and i cannot wait. I have run 5 miles on Sunday and i think i will be fine. Everyone wish me luck! I hope to finish in under an hour. My 5 miles on sunday was 46 mins so hopefully i can do it!!! :cool:

YP1 06-07-2006 03:56 PM

Good luck! If you can do 5 miles in 46 minutes I'm sure you'll finish in under an hour! Let us know how you go on.

iowasteph2 06-07-2006 10:02 PM

Anne, congratulations on finishing the tri! I think it's amazing! You certainly don't look fat in your pictures either!

Skinnyjeans--Alright--a marathon in October!! Good for you! I certainly don't envy you having to run in the mornings. That would probably do me in for sure!

Stephie--yes, the C25k certainly works!!! Keep it up, and I'd recommend not skipping any workouts. It did wonders for me!

Susan, I just bought a new, fabulous watch. It wasn't too expensive (about $35 at Target), but it has a stopwatch, alarm, and it can also time intervals. I don't know what I would do without a stopwatch. My old one broke, so I marched right to Target to get a new one.

Helen, I love reading your posts. I've said this before, but I think you're inspriring! Don't blisters just suck!?

Velveeta, You're pretty fast!! Wow!

I just ran for an hour. I'd estimate that I ran probably 5.5-6 miles. It was a nice run. I didn't bring any water with me though, which wasn't the smartest idea. I've actually gained a couple of pounds recently, but I don't care too much, because I honestly feel that this is the healthiest that I have ever been. I was an athlete in college and everything, but I now have more stamina and such that EVER! Go, Me!!

I want to run the Las Vegas Marathon (though only do a half). It's December 10th. I have two brothers that live there. I thought that my parents would be up for a trip out to see them, but my mom told me that they would rather just wait until Christmas. Bummer. I could still go by myself, but I'd prefer to not travel alone. I think it would be cool to run down the strip and downtown Vegas.

Keep it up!

softballmom 06-08-2006 08:09 AM

StephieWilliams and all: I started the C25K program last night from CoolRunners. I didn't have a stopwatch so I "counted" the time out - I know I was off, but I was close enough per my cellphone clock.

I have a question, though. The program only calls for 3 days and I like doing cardio (walk/run) at least 5 days a week. Can I do this for more than the called for 3 days? Is 3 days just a minimum? I don't want to get injured, but for the last couple of weeks, I would walk and then would run for an interval of time, and then would go back to walking. I would try to do at least two jog intervals during my 2-3 mile walk for a distance of just at 1/4 mile sometimes (1/2 mile total jog). I'm tired, but not sore. Any suggestions for this program, etc I will appreciate.

P.S. It also sounds more serious when I tell my hubby that I will meet up with him after my run, instead of "after my walk". He's known me for 24 yrs and he is surprised at my running efforts.

midwife 06-08-2006 08:22 AM

Hi all,
I have been running and running. Mostly 3 miles, but I did a "long run" of 3.5 miles on Friday! I'll keep working on that (haha!). I have been mostly getting up at 5 am to run...this is not something that I ever thought I would do, but by noon here it is 90 degrees. Running in the cool dawn is just beautiful and such a great way to start the day. I have yet to run across a honking or yelling moron...I guess they are all asleep. Just other runners, people going to work, and me, my very big dog, my cell phone set on speed dial for 911, and a carefully hidden shank...just kidding...I do have the dog though!

Anyway, new problem...any one have advice about...chafing? Ouchies! My thighs are not very happy right now.

Thanks and happy trails!!

AmberD 06-08-2006 09:53 AM

Softball mom - I'm on a different running program than you are, but mine requires a minimum of 3 days, more is perfectly exceptable. I think as long as you aren't sore and your knees are holding up, you should be fine

Midwife - O boy chafing! Can I relate!!:dizzy: What's solved the problem for me is spandex under my shorts. It doesn't ride up, so the fabric is rubbing together instead of my thighs!! Mine are all cotton right now, but I would recommend getting something that breathes better. Also, I know a lot of people who use Body Glide. It's a basically looks like deo., but you put it on your legs and your feet and where your arms rub against your shirt and it lubricates and stops chafing. It's sweat proof, and usually only requires one application. I got mine on amazon for ~$6

Good luck on your first 10K Velveeta! That's so exciting!!!:carrot:

Everyone else GREAT JOB with the running ~!!

I am seeking a bit of advice.
I run three times during the week for approx 45 minutes and a long run on Saturday (8 miles this Saturday, and only going up from there)
I have great shoes, and they are only a month or so old. But after a run, the next day my knees kind of ache... It's not bad, completely bearable. But since I'm only at about a third of the distance I want to be, I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Any suggestions on what I can do? Would putting those heel cushions in my shoes help?

skinnyjeans 06-08-2006 09:54 AM

HI everyone. So far doing good on waking up to run. And it is much more comfortable temps at that time of day!!

Iowasteph-I just recently gained up a couple pounds also, mine was from vacation. I have noticed it slows me down a bit. But I am not freaking out because I feel really fit and I KNOW its just a matter or time before it drops back off.

Midwife- They make a gel called Bodyglide, or AstroGlide something like that you put on areas that chafe. It is a common problem for runners. I also read a thread in the 20's forum (I don't know how to link) on this as one of the girls was having the problem when wearing skirts. I read some great "home remedies" from baby powder and vaseline to a little anti-persperant in that area. You could also try wearing spandex/biking shorts under your run shorts.

SoftballMom- The program only calls for three days so that you body has a chance to recover on the off days. Running is pretty high impact and your body needs a chance to adjust to the pounding or you will get injured. People often get shin splints (Painful, hurts to take a step!) if they overdo at the beginning. Many runners do run consecutive days in a row (5 days a week) once they have become accustomed to the impact, until then I would stick with alternating days and do lower impact cardio like walking, biking, or rollerblading of the off days.

srmb60 06-08-2006 10:06 AM

Same time as yesterday plus 10 seconds to go back and fetch my hat. Dratted dump truck!

Stephanie Osborne 06-08-2006 11:18 AM

Week 5 Day 2...of the c25k program

Ok so this program just jumped up a notch...it got out of hand fast! I was feeling awesome after my last training run. I looked at the schedule and saw omg 2 eight minute running intervals and my jaw dropped. Went to a movie tonight and lost all daylight to run in...dragged my butt to the gym and guess what...I did it. I was so awesome I even upped my mph on the last minute of my last running interval to push myself just a little harder. Music blaring, heart pumping, sweat dripping I am a running goddess and did not even know it! Better keep this motivation week 5 day 3 calls for running 20 minutes straight with no breaks...up until now 11 minutes is the longest I have ever run...

Wish me luck, god I am so fricken proud!

velveeta - good luck on your 10k sounds like you have been training for it, I know you can nail it in under an hour.

iowasteph - Thanks for the advice...I try to not to skip or get behind, I could see how that would effect the programs effectiveness.

softballmom - the program gets hard after a while, I would say on your off days from the program do another kind of cardio that will still help your running stamina...spinning or biking is great for that. As for tips...hmmm I try to avoid the heat if I can, I bought a cheap watch from walmart that had a stopwatch built into it ($6) so I would not have to tote around my cell phone...oh and I bought running shorts but also spandex to put under them to keep them from riding up...

midwife - where in the rocky mountains are you? I haven't encountered chafing yet but I hear powder, or spandex could work...

midwife 06-08-2006 12:13 PM

Hi Steph, I am in NM...

Astroglide...that stuff has many purposes...I tell my post-partum ladies to use it for...ahem...dryness...hee hee.

I guess I will buy my very first spandex anything. Should be VERY amusing!

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

YP1 06-08-2006 03:08 PM

I've heard many good things about Bodyglide, but I've never used it myself. I've always just worn lycra shorts rather than baggy ones, or at least until my thighs got far enough apart not to cause huge problems (even so if it's hot or I'm running a long way I tend to just wear the lycra).

I'm refusing to be beaten by the blisters, and I ran 3.4 miles today without making it any worse. I'm not running again until Sunday (a 10k race) so hopefully they should heal a bit before then.

I have a dilemma though. My old shoes are worn out and causing foot (blister) and knee problems. I have some new ones that I'm picking up tomorrow morning on the way to work. I'm trying to decide between wearing the old ones and the new ones for the race. I know I shouldn't really wear new ones to race in without wearing them in, but they're exactly the same as my old ones which were fine on their first wearing, and 10k is actually relatively short by the standard of a lot of my runs at the moment, if I wasn't racing on Sunday I'd be doing a 6 miler and then a 12 miler in them over the weekend anyway. I'm tempted to just go with the new ones on the basis that the race is short enough that I'll be able to get through it as well as I tape my feet (particularly the blisters) up before the start.

bone idle 06-08-2006 03:34 PM

Hi all!

I completed my first 5k race last wkend (31mins 40secs -PB for me!). For the first couple of days after I felt really motivated to improve my running and start training for a 10k. But I feel that entusiasm starting to wane and Im really not motivated any more.

Do you guys ever get like this when you reach one goal and then start aiming for another?

Only Me 06-08-2006 06:11 PM

Helen, in your situation, I'd be tempted to wear the new shoes around the house or whatever you're doing on Saturday, so they'd be somewhat broken in for the race. I'm still waiting for my new shoes and alternating between two old, worn out pairs while I wait. I hate having small feet, it makes shoe shopping more complicated.

skinnyjeans, for running related chafing you want bodyglide. Astroglide could be useful for a different sort of chafing though. ;)

Amber, have you slowly worked up to your current running milage? Have you been taking an easier week once a month? I found that the first winter I increased my running distances, my knees ended up getting sore. Once I eased back a bit until they felt better, I was able to slowly increase again.

stephie, good luck with week 5, day 3. I still remember finishing that first 20 minute run! Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine.

bone idle First, congratulations on your first 5k! I sometimes do get a bit of a post-race let down after a big goal race. Paying for another race a couple of months away helps motivate me to keep training. Over the fall/winter, when I went about 6 months between races, reminding myself that 1) I like feeling fit , 2) I want to get faster, and 3) the best way to get faster is to keep running through whatever weather is thrown at me (ice storms excluded).

I got out for just under 15km this very windy afternoon. Luckily the skies just threatened rain the whole time, but held out until I got home. I even did the strides called for in my schedule. And "ran" (if you can call it that) up a long, tough hill.

midwife 06-09-2006 10:41 AM

Sounds like heavenly running weather, OnlyMe!

Well, I bought some spandex shorts and wore them last night to a kick boxing class with other athletic shorts over them.

Dang, my thighs and tummy looked really good! I think they will be the ticket to avoiding further chafing.

softballmom 06-09-2006 09:53 PM

Did my day 2 of week 1 for C25K program tonight. I went out at 730p instead of right after work at 4p. With the temps being cooler it didn't seem as hard, in fact I did it for 30min instead of the 20min.

I'm taking the advice of doing the program every other day to help rest up. Thanks for your responses.

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend.