Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #1  
Amanda

Default Elliptical Users? - any out there

Hi My name is Amanda and I'm looking for anyone interested in becoming and Elliptical Buddy.
I am addicted to my elliptical machine. I actually think that I have a love/hate relationship with it! ha ha
Anyway - I'm jealous of all of these people that have walking challenges and lots of buddies cheering eachother on.
I've hit a flatline in my weight loss and really need a cheerleader and weightloss buddy - only serious losers (weight that is) need apply!

Hope to hear from at least one person - that's all it takes!!

Amanda

young&starting-over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Hi there! I have an elliptical too and I've been using it 5 times a week. I'm not an exercise lover, but I like using the machine. My husband and I bought it about 3 yrs ago as a X-mas present for both. We use it on and off, but lately I've made it a point to use it regularly. I only do 20 minutes, I know it's not much, but for me it's plenty right now.

I love the fact that it's easy on my knees and I get a feeling of total body workout with it.

So keep on moving!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I have an elliptical too and love it! I'm kinda shifting my workouts around now but I used to workout on the elliptical almost everyday. I'm trying to use other machines and videos so I'm probably using it 1-2 times a week now.
However I'd love to be part of an elliptical group
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  

Unfortunately I don't own an elliptical trainer! But I looooove them!
It's my third favorite exercise after
1. walking
2. swimming

I feel as if I'm flying when I use the elliptical trainer and I burn the most calories there too.

You guys are so lucky to have one you can use whenever you want;
I have to wait until I can get to a gym.
naola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #5  
Amanda

Default Well lets start something then...

Well gals...would you rather post here and have to find this thread each day or would you rather private message email addesses to eachother? I'm up for either. I just know how hard it is to find threads later.
I honestly am just looking for people that want to really get a kick out of pushing the miles on an elliptical. I need a reason to stay on mine and push myself.
I agree about the feels like you're flying thing. It does feel awesome to use one and it is easy on the joints.

I look forward to hearing more from you gals.

Amanda .......on my way to the elliptical right now
Old 05-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I’m headed for the elliptical right after work, and then a good upper body dumbbell session. I think I’m actually excited about it (so weird to think about that, me wanting to go to the gym ) I was using the elliptical about 3 or 4 times a week, but now I’m getting outside with walking and rollerblading a bit more and swimming 1-2 x per week. So I use the elliptical just 1-2 x per week now, but I’m all about having elliptical buddies.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this strange phenomenon. There are 5 ellipticals at my gym, 2 of them record distance in miles way lower than the other three. If I do 40 min on one of the “slow” ones I won’t crack 4 miles but if I do it on one of the “fast” ones it’s almost 6, but they all seem to record calories burned at about the same rate. Of course I look at the RPM and my heart rate to pace myself and I’m going at about the same rate no matter which machine I’m on, but still it’s weird!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ooh, ooh! I love the elliptical. I do it almost every day. I don't think the ones at my gym display miles though? Just strides, time, calories, etc. But I would love to have a buddy to support and to kick my butt. I'm trying to get an hour on it a day and it would be nice to have someone keep me accountable!

By the way ladies, if I don't post or reply to a pm the next few days it's because hubby and I will be in Vegas Friday-Sunday. I'm not ignoring anyone
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #8  
Amanda

Default wow on the miles!!!

Wow you must be booking it!!! That or my elliptical does not track miles right at all! My elliptical has 10 resistance settings (I work on resistance level 4) and I move at anywhere from 2.1 to 2.4 miles and hour on it. I don't know how anyone could move at all on resistance 10. It's like climbing Everest in a snowstorm blind with anchors tied to your ankles!!!
I suppose each machine is different though.

I'm just so excited about everyone posting!!! It's so nice to see all the people that love the elliptical!

Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans
I’m headed for the elliptical right after work, and then a good upper body dumbbell session. I think I’m actually excited about it (so weird to think about that, me wanting to go to the gym ) I was using the elliptical about 3 or 4 times a week, but now I’m getting outside with walking and rollerblading a bit more and swimming 1-2 x per week. So I use the elliptical just 1-2 x per week now, but I’m all about having elliptical buddies.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this strange phenomenon. There are 5 ellipticals at my gym, 2 of them record distance in miles way lower than the other three. If I do 40 min on one of the “slow” ones I won’t crack 4 miles but if I do it on one of the “fast” ones it’s almost 6, but they all seem to record calories burned at about the same rate. Of course I look at the RPM and my heart rate to pace myself and I’m going at about the same rate no matter which machine I’m on, but still it’s weird!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #9  
Amanda

Default something I'm noticing...

Perhaps this is just coincidence, but everyone here that does the elliptical is a loser (weight that is). I really do attribute my weight loss maintenance to my elliptical workouts. It's nice to see others getting results too.

I've read some of the other posts and people see unhappy with their current workouts or are looking for a change - but each of you indicates how happy you are with your workouts.

Do you all think that mental state/stress/ happiness have affected your weight loss? (just starting a rousing discussion)

talk at you gals later

Amanda
Old 05-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I love my elliptical! I got it for xmas from my mom...thank god! I don't get out much (work from home) so I needed something in my house. It's so fun and you can really FEEL it...I just started doing it again after some down time and I'm going to try doing it 30 mins six days a week.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

My elliptical just broke! I'm not too happy about that. We've had it for about 3 years, it's a Norditrack. We've had a lot of problems with it. My husband has had to replace the wheels on it twice already, and now it's making a horrible squeaky sound. He found the piece in the back is welded to the base by a tiny little spot, so that came undone and it's making that noise and swaying from side to side. It's hard to explain. Thank goodness my husband is very mechanically inclined, but he's going to have to find a welding machine to fix it. I just got the Turbo Jam videos so I'll start with them, but I do miss the machine.

I'm a little disappointed in Norditrack, I thought they would have a more solid product, the machine wasn't cheap, it was over $1,000 when we bought it. I think I'm going to send them a letter and see what they say.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #12  
Amanda

Default ok girls!!! Lets kick it into high gear ... and kick my you know what

I have to say I'm sorry for not posting lately. My computer is completely infested with spyware and my husband (a computer guru) has been working on it.
Anyway - I have to admit that even though I made this post I am completely let myself down. This last week was finals week at school (I'm a adult returning college student) and I'm in the middle of being certified for in home child care. I really have not given exercise the attention it needs in my life for about 4 weeks now and last week was no exception. I love my elliptical and really need to make this happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making a fun challenge out of this?
I need a self-motivator and I want to try reaching my goal before this year ends. I would love to be almost there by the end of summer actually.

Look forward to hearing from you gals.

Amanda
Old 05-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Way to go Amanda! I'll be your elliptical buddy. I love my machine. I am on a medical leave from work for the next week at least, but my doctor told me after 2 weeks from the date of my surgery I could get back on again. That will be May 16th. I can't strength train again until June 5th. But he told me I could use the treadmill, elliptical and my recumbent bike after 2 weeks. I just need to take baby steps. I was up to 45 mins a session on my elliptical. I have a firmer backside to prove it!

As soon as I get the a-ok from my doc, I'll be checking in with you. Congrats on being 16 lbs from your goal. That's fabulous!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #14  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I want one but my husband thinks they are a waste of money. He's so old school. He thinks I should just walk up and down stairs or something? Im going to get one anyway. How much did ya all pay for them and what is the best one to get?
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #15  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

I was wondering the same thing Jtjoray. I love the elliptical at the gym and would like to have one at home for when I can't get to the gym. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what kind and any info any how much they cost. Thanks
healthy2b is offline   Reply With Quote