Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #76  
Ilene the Bean

I must confess I didn't run this afternoon, I came home and fell asleep on the couch, I'm having one of those weeks, I had such an active and good week last week... I hate when this happens, maybe it's the weather, can we blame our laziness on the weather??
Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #77  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Yesterday I ran 8k, with 5k as a progression run. I warmed up for 1k, ran 1k@marathon pace, 1k@half marathon pace, 1k@10mile pace, 1k@10k pace, and 1k@5k pace. Then I ran the rest of the way home at an easy pace. The run started out feeling easy, but it was a challenge to keep increasing my pace slightly every 5 minutes or so. Next time I do that I'll add in 1k@30k pace, just to make it a more gradual speed increase. I figure it's a good way to teach myself to run faster when my legs are already somewhat tired, without hurting me the next day. Also a good way to learn what the different paces feel like in comparison to each other.

No running for me today. I was out grocery shopping and making plans to get some soil for the backyard so I can have a lawn finally. Then feeding the kids lunch. Now my dd's are both napping (a very rare moment, so I must document it), it's threatening to rain, and the winds are 40km/h gusting to 65km/h, so I think even a short jog later with the girls in the stroller is unlikely.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #78  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I managed to squeeze in just under 6 miles this morning, which I was very proud of - partcularly as I ran outside again. I've gone from only running on the treadmill to ignoring it more and more often - of over 20 miles so far this week I've only done 3 on the treadmill, and will be doing another 10 or so outside before Sunday.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #79  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

I got in 3.5 last night, followed by weights and abs.

Since I've gained a little weight back (9 pounds), I don't seem to be feeling as good during my runs as I used to...not sure why - I think once the weight starts to come off again I will be a better runner. Plus, i'm lifting weights now and I think that is making me a little more tired. I'm just not used to it yet.

It's amazing what happens to our bodies (well, mine at least - lol) when we are used to running 5 days/week with a long run of 10 or 11 miles to only running 3 days/week with long runs of 6 or 7...of course - between my 5 day/week workouts and my 3 day/week workouts I had about 2 weeks where I wasn't interested in running or working out - at all!!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #80  

well, on the plus side, i got out there and ran. on the minus side, it was one of the crummiest, hardest runs i have done for a while. Even my run on sunday in the drizzly yuck was more satisfying! If you have ever had to pee while running (and im sure you have) you know how unpleasant that can be... then i developed a side stitch, so i stopped at a building on campus and peed. Then when i went back to running again, i stumbled a bit on some cracked, uneven sidewalk, and managed to not quite turn my ankle, just roll it enough to be uncomfortable. I ran walked the rest of the way home (a little more than half a mile) but man was it lousy. To be fair, it felt sort of lousy before i turned my ankle, but at least now i have a reason to complain besides just being in not as great of shape as i would like (but not bad shape, cause hey, i did run about 2.2 miles altogether)
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #81  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I've just been out for a sneaky 5.30am 3.7 miler so that I could fit something in before the early train to London for work. I think it's fair to say I'm definitely past the point of no return with my running!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #82  

Height: 5'7"

Did a fun 2.9 mi run this morning. It was a trail run in the desert with a friend instead of my usual solo road run. Very hilly, but my pace was pretty good.

Keep swimming Ilene! Doing a relay or a duathlon are good steps--do them, but you've been talking about the tri since I've been on these boards. You'll get there eventually.

eadavenp--good for you. Those are the hardest runs to do, and you were very strong.

Anne
Old 04-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #83  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the encouragement Anne!

This morning I did a 5k for MS and my time was 30:49, pretty good for me ...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #84  

Height: 5'7"

I ran/walked my hilly 6.2 mi (10K!) loop this morning. Ran probably 2/3 of the time which is about 3/4 the distance for me. Total time was 1h 29m, right on my usual 15 min/mile run/walk combined pace. I had a long, strong bike yesterday and today I was tired. This is my longest run since I got pregnant last year!

There was a bike race on the route and it was fun to cheer for the racers.

Where is everybody? You guys are usually running circles around me.

Anne
Old 04-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #85  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I'm here! I did a 10k race today and finished in 47:45 which was far faster than I'd hoped. I'd been aiming for sub 50, but didn't expect to get over 2 minutes under. I got to the 5k mark in 23 minutes which is my fastest ever 5k, then stuck to my pre-race target pace for the rest. Apparently the first half was faster than the second for pretty much everyone, so it wasn't just me going off too fast!

I'm so pleased with that!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #86  
Ilene the Bean

Question for you veteran runners ... How do you know your "race pace"... do you find this out through doing many races? or because you have a watch "thingie" ( I can't remember the name of those watches ) on your wrists? I'm confused when you gals start talking about your race paces
Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #87  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I just work it out from my stopwatch and the distance markers en route. I have a vague target in my head, and if I get to 4km (for example) 2 minutes under what I'd aimed for, I know I need to ease up a bit to avoid running out of steam later. When I'm on the treadmill it's easier, and if I had a speed/distance monitor it would be fine, other it's just a case of knowing how far I've gone with markers or because I know the route, and working it out from there.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #88  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for that explanation Helen...
Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #89  

i'm having runners guilt. I planned on running tonight and wound up eating myself sick. I tried to run on saturday, went 1/3 of a mile and wound up crying and went home. I have a lot of anxiety about my body and about people looking at me and i was convinced people would see me and think i looked stupid or bad or whatever. I have a 5 k in 14 days and i am barely getting in two runs a week. I feel like im going to be a total failure at my run and after trying so hard to get "into" running and get it so i liked it enough that it would outwiegh my image concerns and raising almost 4 gs in money for cancer research, im going to be a slow, fat failure when i have my race. I want to run now but i already feel sick and know if i do run, i'll vomit (ick).
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #90  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Eadavenp - I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I've been there before too...

Here is what helps me: when I am running in a group of people and a majority of them are much smaller than me it makes me feel awesome when I run right by them, leaving them in the dust. Smaller, "better bodied" people doesn't necessarily mean fitter.

About 7 or 8 years ago when i was playing on the fastpitch softball team in college, I was definitely the biggest girl on the team (I was about 25+ pounds heavier than I am now). But, I would run about 3 miles on our off days to try to lose weight (wasn't very successful back then - lol). One of my teammates (she's a tiny little thing but could bench press her body weight) told me that I was her inspiration for running - me! This was because when she felt tired and wanted to quit her run, she would tell herself, "Emily would keep going. Emily wouldn't quit this run"...let me tell you, that made me feel very good about myself. So, even though you may think that you are having a horrible day or people are judging you, there are even more people out there who are very impressed with what you are accomplishing.

Have you tried running first thing in the morning? that way, you don't have a chance to 'eat yourself out of a run' and you get it out of the way before your day even begins.

Hang in there! It will definitely get better.
Closed Thread