Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #1  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Default ellipticals and back stress

I'm considering getting an elliptical. Had lumbar surgery 7 months ago and so far walking has been the only 'approved' exercise. I know I should ask my doctor but I wanted to see what you all thought first. I don't want to ask him if it is a stupid question, ya know?

Do you notice any excess stress on the lower back when you are excercising on one? Does your back ever hurt after you've excercised on one??

opinions??

thanks
Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

No, I've never noticed any back stress on an elliptical. The only problem I've ever had on an elliptical is that my feet go to sleep. I'm going to have to ask my trainer what's going on with that one.

Is there a way you can get a free pass to a gym for a day or two and test out the elliptical to see how your back feels? Many gyms will give you a free pass to see if you want to sign up for the gym.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #3  

The elliptical doesn't hurt my back at all. But it is a load bearing exercise. If standing on your feet supporting your own weight causes you back problems, the elliptical might also I guess.

I think you should ask your doctor. This is your health, and there are no dumb questions. And the idea to test drive a model by getting a day pass at a gym is a great one.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53
No, I've never noticed any back stress on an elliptical. The only problem I've ever had on an elliptical is that my feet go to sleep. I'm going to have to ask my trainer what's going on with that one.
Sheila, that used to happen to me all the time! I asked my trainer about it, and she said to put more of my weight on my heels. Works like a charm
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #5  
Melting Butter

I tend to keep my feet flat on the elliptical and "roll with it." Most people tend to think of the elliptical as a low stress machine.

In either case, definately consult your doctor on which exercise would be best for you. Back pain is NO joke. At my highest weight (which was 183) my back would kill me if I was on my feet for long periods of time.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote