Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 09:31 PM   #1  

Angry backpacking?

Hi all,
Somehow I've been coaxed into going on a backpacking trip in August or so. It'll be about 4 days or so and we are gonna go up Half Dome in Yosemite.
I am still in shock about the whole thing. Cooking in the boonies, pooping in the woods, and hauling a huge amount of weight on my back.
I'm working on exercising every day now, and I went back to Weight Watchers. I am partially freaked out, and partially excited.
Do you guys have any suggestions? Anyone doing a similar thing?

andrea
Old 06-23-2001, 08:58 PM   #2  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

What do you want to know? I have been camping lots of times, but not overnight backpacking. Which I understand what you are going to do. How can we help you?
Old 06-25-2001, 02:11 PM   #3  

Wink

I don't know exactly how you guys can help me...I was just hoping for some stories of trips, or helpful hints...things like that.

I recently got a dehydrator, and it's lots of fun. Dried zucchini is very yummy...sorta pumpin seed-chippy tasting. I want to make my meals in some way, and not eat mac and cheese and trail mix for 4 days.

I'm looking at backpacks right now too. I want to get an internal frame because they seem a bit more comfortable to me.

The hike to one portion of the trip is about 18 miles round trip. The final distance will be higher than that because we are going to Half Dome also. I think i'm going to start walking the dogs with my 30lb weight belt on so I can get used to walking with a load.

We also have to carry bear canisters because of the domestication of the bears in Yosemite.

I feel a bit intimidated about the whole thing, because my friend worked at Yosemite, and has been on oodles of backpacking trips. I haven't ever been backpacking before, and the last time I went camping was in Girl Scouts. I don't want to get there, and then be this whiny person who can't even make it up the hills, especially with her marching up the hill at this brisk pace.

Thanks,
Andrea
Old 06-25-2001, 02:54 PM   #4  

My main comment would be to be sure to go at your own pace - don't try to "keep up" with anyone! If your friend has gone backpacking before I'm sure she knows this and also knows that with a group, you should have a leader and a trailer to make sure everyone is OK. Carry a whistle and some type of light - like a glow stick. Make sure you drink lots of water, break in your shoes, bring lots of socks, gosh I could go on and on! BUT - I'm sure if your friend is experience, she'll know what to do. Have you discussed your feelings with her? Backpacking is great!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:31 AM   #5  

The hike up Half Dome is a great hike. Just over 18 miles roundt trip. But a tough one. I did it years ago in a long one day trip. I don't want to scare you, but be sure to ask your friend about "the cables" on Half Dome. You need to know what you are getting into.

Here are some practical tips:

Less is More. Pack Light. Remember you have to carry it all with you at all times.

Buy your hiking boots now and wear them everywhere to break them in. If not, you will develop blisters and make your trip miserable! You should not attempt this hike wearing your sneakers. When carrying a loaded pack, you feet need the extra support of heavy duty hiking boots. Go to a reputable outdoor store and tell the salesman where you are going. Expect to pay at least $100 , maybe a lot more if you have a hard to fit foot. Fit is crucial. And while you are in the store, buy the proper socks. Again, listen to the salesman.

Listen to your friend who has done backpacking before. Take their advice about what clothes to take, food, etc.

You shouldn't have to worry much about rain in Yosemite much in the summer, but if a thunder storm does come up, stay off Half Dome. Lighting strikes there during every storm!

Most importantly, have fun. Use your common sense and you will have a great time and stay safe.

Last edited by gsc4; 06-26-2001 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:29 PM   #6  

Well, I've gotten some boots in September, and I've been walking around in those. They are some heavy duty full leather Vasque boots (gotta love scratch and dent sales at rei). I also have a pair of part leather/part fabric boots.
I'm trying to figure out what size pack to get though. I'm waffling between a 4500 and a 5500 cubic inch internal frame pack... The 4500 is the size that would be appropriate for my needs right now, but the 5500 will allow me to go on longer things when i may need more layers and stuff. They are both about 7lbs, and the difference in price is about $20 (a different friend is getting at her work for me).

Is it really awkward to have a pack of the larger size on a 4 day trip? It seems like it would just compress and sorta shrink down, but I have no experience in this area. The friend I'm going with has no idea. the store people didn't really seem to know either.

I was told about the cables on half dome. She said softer shoes are better to use going up that hill. I just don't really want to end up bringing several pairs of shoes, because they do weigh a lot. We'll be doing half dome as a day hike also. She said it sucks going up it with a loaded pack. I assume we leave stuff at camp then? Do people steal things? Is that safe to do?

thanks again,
andrea
Old 06-28-2001, 09:55 AM   #7  

Glad you have good boots - Vasque is a great brand. My first real boots were Vasque and I wore them for 15 years. I disagree with your friend about the softer soles shoes when you are actually on Half Dome. I prefer the overall support of a hiking boot for any hiking in the mountains, especially over rough terain. The stiff sole makes stepping in uneven rocks more confortable and the ankle support is important also. But it is a personal preference thing.

You will probably be camping in Little Yosemite Valley as your starting point for the day-trip up Half Dome. I'm not positive about the mileage, but I remember that portion of the trip as being the steepest part (OK it was over 20 years ago and I was a teenager at the time, but mountains don't change much over the years). There is a large elevation gain from there to get to the top of Half Dome. The actual last 1/2 mile to the top is a small part of the hike - where the infamous cables are - and I think you will appreciate the sutrdier boots for the rest of the day.

Either way, you will want to bring another pair of footwear anyway. You poor feet will want different footwear to put on while you are not hiking and in camp. And if something happens to your hiking boots you need an alternate to wear.

As for the safety issue of leaving your big pack unattended while you go up Half Dome, that is your call. I agree you do not want to attempt the dome part with a full pack. The area you will leave your pack is one of the most crowded hiking areas of the park and that makes it just like a little city, with all the crime that comes with lots of people in one area. Check with the park rangers and get their opinion. At minimum, get one of those locking net things that will let you lock your pack to good size tree.

As for advice about the pack, I cannot be much help. While I have done miles of backcountry hiking, in the last 15 years I have tended to stick to long day hikes and am not up in the latest in large packs.

But I think fit is probably the most important factor. If the larget pack has enough cinch straps, you can always cinch it down when it is not full. A pack that doesn't fit right will make your trip much less enjoyable.

You said the salesman you talked to was not very helpful. Find another salesman. You must have gotten the new kid or someone who does not backpack. REI usually has very knowledgeable staff. Try going at a time when the store is not very busy. Or go to another store. Sorry I don't know the stores in California area. Just because you may be buying the pack from where your friend can get it, doesn't mean you cannot to to another store for advice.

Or go to the library and research back issues of Outside, Backpacker, etc magazines. They usually to product reviews every year and even if you do not end up buying the exact model they review, their reviews usually give good information as to what features to look for. Or I bet there are message boards out there for backpackers. Start with the magazine web sites or the Sierra Culb.

Be sure to check back in when you return and tell me all about your adventure !

Last edited by gsc4; 06-28-2001 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:24 PM   #8  

A suggestion for the backpacks.....
Think about what other trips you would be taking this on. Most weekend warriors find that the 4500 cu in pack is sufficient and is also big enough for a week long haul. 5500 cu in sounds like it's overkill at this point. Yes it can cinch down but backpacks are designed to balance correctly with a full load. I currently carry a backpack that 3500 cu in for weekend trips and can pack it for 3-4 day trips in the summer. If you're worried about space, compression sacks are a life saver!
Old 06-28-2001, 03:42 PM   #9  

Hobey makes a lot of sense. You don't mention how tall you are or how much you weigh, but there are giudelines on how many pounds you should attempt to carry on your back based on your weight and height.

The large pack may simply be too big for your body size. And with a larger pack you may be tempted to carry more than you should simply because you have room in your pack. Again, a knowledge salesperson should have all this information.

Closed Thread