Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #1  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Default How Do You?

Motivate yourself to exercise??

What kind of exercise do you do??

I am 21 years old and pretty overweight. I haven't exercised since high school!! I try the workout tapes (mainly pilates, and occasionally tae bo and a few others) but they get so boring so quick!! What got you going?? What was the simplest way for you to start out?
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

You just do it!! I always look at the smaller sized clothes or the fit aerobics instructor and that really is my motivation. I make myself do it!! Get my butt up out of the chair and I actually make a production out of it LOL I get all dressed in my workout clothes, I have matching sets get my water bottle filled and head to my rec room where I have a bowflex and treadmill and my aerobic videos.

My main motivation was that I KNEW I was going to die if I didn't do something about my weight and do it quick, so I started eating better and exercising, and I do all of it under my doctors care and monitoring. Its great when I go in for my monthly weigh ins and she praises my success!!

I guess you need to find something that is going to motivate you! Do you have an ultimate reward for when you reach your goal weight? I get a new wardrobe and a tummy tuck if I still have a saggy baby belly.

Hope this helps
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256.5/256/???

Height: 5 ft 4

Hi Jacque,

what works for me is finding things I like to do, or that I can fit into my daily life. So I try and ride my bike for short local journeys, instead of taking the bus or the car. I do belly dancing, which I love, and also water aerobics, which I like and swimming which I like too. Oh yes and I do a range of things because I get easily bored!
clarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #4  
Meg

Hi Jacque! I was a couch potato of the first degree and was convinced for years that I hated to exercise. What changed that for me was joining a gym and signing up for a package of personal training sessions. Since I had appointments to go in and work out (that I had paid for!), I couldn't make excuses to myself about not going in ("oh, I'm too tired, I'll do it tomorrow" ) And having someone there with me to show me the right way to exercise and to motivate me was invaluable!

Much to my surprise, I discovered that I love to exercise because of all the energy and good feelings that it gives me (and I like the weight loss benefits too, of course ). I'm thinking that if you give exercise a chance, you might find that you enjoy it too and will want to keep it up. Like most new things, the hardest part is just getting started -- do you belong to a gym? Could you sign up for a few personal training sessions? Or if that's not a possibility, how about making a deal with yourself, like I'll exercise three times this week and as a reward, I'll _______ (fill in the blank with something besides chocolate ). Or make exercise "dates" with a friend?

It's important to find exercise that you genuinely like doing (else you'll never keep it up), so if your tapes are boring, can you think of something that would be fun? Swimming? Rollerblading? Belly dancing? There are so many different ways to exercise that I'll bet something would appeal to you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:16 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

What motivated me in the early days, 20 years ago, was not to gain weight because I had quit smoking. What motivates me today is that I am in better shape than many of my 47 year old friends. I see some of my healthy/fit friends that are in better shape than I am and I want to be like them, those are my ongoing goals.

Like Michelle said: Just get up and DO IT dang it!! You like music? Dance! You like music? Plug yourself in, go for a walk! Get a dog! Whatever works for YOU!! Get some pink dumbells lift some weights... Get a trainer he'll show you the big dumbells, then when your muscles start showing up you'll fell your strength and power and that will work for YOU! I guarantee it!

Get a support group, WW, Jenny Craig, Curves, 3FC, etc... Whatever works for YOU!!

But just..........DO IT!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know the only way I'll successfully lose weight and keep it off is if I exercise, so that is my motivation. I have a goal to do some form of exercise every day so that is what I do, unless there are extreme circumstances that would prevent me from doing so. I try a variety of things to keep it fresh. I have a gym membership and I do weight lifting 4 times a week, belly dancing once a week and then I mix in some swimming, pilates and various cardio machines.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #7  

When I go through a spell of "not feeling like it" I make it a point to do it the very first chance I get, the earlier in the day the better. After you develop the habit then the time of day becomes less of an issue. I personally joined a ladies health club and stopped before I went home. Once I got home I wouldn’t go back so I just didn’t let myself go home first. It doesn’t have to be a formal exercise program either.

Just build on something you really enjoy doing, if you like to horse back ride, take some lessons, if you like basketball go out and shoot some hoops, play a game of catch with someone. If you have a dog, take him to the park and play with him. Once you start moving you will want to continue and the thing that is going to make you start moving is doing something fun. Take a dance class, take roller skating lessons, go for a walk at the mall, or take some golf lessons.

Once you develop the habit, keep it varied so you don't burn out on one thing.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I don't plan a long exercise session if I'm not in the mood. I plan for 20 minutes or so - and I always end up staying longer because it feels good once I get going. The after effects of exercise are similar to the after effects of good sex!

Also, like the others said, music can be a good motivator. I have cd's of club mix music that I don't listen to anywhere but on the treadmill. I love the cd and my mind travels so far when I'm listening to it, but it is reserved only for exercise. I go to the basement, I get to have time ALL to myself, and I walk on the treadmill and have my fan blowing on my face (sometimes I use it) and a bottle of filtered water. It's my own time and I love that part.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #9  
Working for the Cruise!

I work 6 days a week and exercise is pretty tight for me. However, I make the time and turn it in to an activity, not a weight loss program. I tried gyms, I hated it. I'm self concious I guess, but I couldn't handle everyone looking at me and my 90 lb chest lifts! Anyway.....here's what I do:

Weekdays: Alternate between treadmill programs with different cds and yoga. I always aim for the AM, and try to get up an hour or two early. It gives you time to pamper yourself after a good sweat. Eat a nice breakfast, watch the news, read a book, etc. Wind down time before the big workday. If I sleep in that morning I don't beat myself up, I just make sure I get in yoga/stability ball at the end of the day. This also helps to alleviate the stress of the day.

DF loves sports and is a big jock, good at everything, and yes it kills me! Anyway, he loves to play, so we play tennis for an hour 2-3 a week at night when it's cool. It's a lot of fun! We beat the stress of the day back with aggresive serves and all the while under the lights like the pros!

Weekends I need change. This weekend for instance I planned my workouts. I layed in bed before sleep thinking of interesting ways to get out and enjoy the sunshine. We have a local park that has a HUGE gorge with tons of steps. It's 1 1/2 miles straight up and then back down of course. I took DF and we made a day out of it.

Today I cleaned house and did a bit of cooking. Then I took out my bike with the odometer on it. My brother had done a trek up the hill in front of our house before. He said it was roughly 2 miles. Well, 3 1/2 miles straight up, I found out he must not have gone the whole way. It ended up being 5 by the time I got back! But you know, I wasn't turning back.

My suggestion is to look around your local area. Go for a hike, go for a bike ride while the weather holds. Once it gets cold, THEN break out the exercise tapes and find one you love. I personally like David Gray, he's just too funny not to be motivated!
AdiaFaith is offline   Reply With Quote