Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-18-2004, 03:50 PM   #91  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Hey girls! I hope you're all off to a great start today!

Me? Meh. Not bad food-wise but I haven't managed to get in any exercise yet. I really thought about what Sunny said about over-doing it and that's very possible. So I'm gonna cut back a little and see how that goes... perhaps 12-15mi a week instead of the 24-28 I've been doing recently. And I have also decided to do strength-training 3 times a week instead of the four or five times I've been doing. I'll continue eating the same amt of cals and see if those tactics help move things in the other direction! Thanks for your advice, ladies!

For the next several weeks, I've decided to only take measurements instead of weighing in... as those are the numbers I'm more concerned with. Besides, with ToM approaching, I'm sure water retention is gonna show up on the scale and would only depress me right before my birthday.

Wendy... Glad to see you're back! Congrats on the new house! Looking forward to hearing about it! Big ol' pat on the back for getting back OP! Hope to hear more from you very soon!

Kristi... Thanks for all the encouragement... and I hope you're right ("Mel, Don't worry any about that 1.5 it'll go away and stay away this time.")! I'm really glad to have you girls beside me... you're all so supportive... and it really helps to know that you understand the struggles. ~ Again, I'm glad you and DH had such a fabulous time on your birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate! I hope you have a great week, girl!

Sunny... We weren't too close to the fire, probably like a 10min drive. But we were across the lake watching how erratic it was... and you could actually see houses bursting into flames. It was the saddest sight I have ever seen. Needless to say, I was a flippin' basket-case but it was amazing to see everyone pull together. Ppl had signs up everywhere thanking the fire-fighters... and the donations were huge! We took over a big case of water, some toys, clothes, and various supplies of soap, diapers, tooth-paste for all the victims. While it was the scariest thing I had ever lived through, I was truly proud to be a Kelowna resident. Thanks for all the advice, I hadn't thought about my muscles swelling. As I said above, I will slow things down a bit and hopefully I'll see some results! CONGRATS on having lost a pound! Yay for you! You are definitely on your way to reaching your goal! Glad to hear that everything went well with Joe's sleep study and I'm crossing my fingers, toes and anything else crossable that the results will show something positive! I know what you mean about not being able to sleep alone though... it's beyond difficult, isn't it? Anyway, best of luck this week! And congrats again on losing that pound!

Anyways girls, I have to go clean up from lunch... there's peanut butter from one end of my house to the other! But I hope you all have a happy and healthy day! Take care of yourselves! Type you all later....!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:24 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang

I got up early this morning and did a 45 minute 3 mile WATP w/2 lb weights, and 50 situps and 15 double leg lifts.

AuGuSt MiLeS = 20

Mel - I'm sorry I didn't see your question til just now (I've been really busy and missing some posts I guess). I use weights that I hold in my hands, either 2 lb or 3 lb (and some day 5 lbs) each. They aren't actually wrist weights, but I guess that would be about the same thing. On the walking tapes, Leslie, reminds everybody not to hold them too tight because it causes too much tension in your hands, so I pay attention to that and just lightly grasp them. But yes, I definitely find it helps the intensity of my workouts, expecially when I only have time for a 30 minute one. It's to the point where just 30 minutes of walking doesn't seem like that much of a workout, but adding the weights increases my heart rate and works my upper body harder and it just seems to give me more "bang for my buck". When you are walking outside with weights I would be especially careful with your form, so as not to throw out your shoulders or pull a muscle, etc. But girl - you are doing great! YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF MILES WALKED - WOW! that's a lot of miles!

Wendy - it's good to see ya! hope things calm down for you soon.

Kristi - have you been able to do weights 3 times a week? I just can't get myself going to do the weights alone, but at least I've been using them with my walking tapes and getting some strength training. I've been dragging

SunnyD - glad all went well with the sleep study for dh. We will all be interested to here what ya'll find out. and glad you talked to your doctor about how you were feeling. sounds like good advice tho. Did you ever think you would see the day that a doctor would tell you that you were exercising too much! wow!

Hope everybody has a blessed day

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 08-20-2004 at 10:27 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #93  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Smile

Hi *KRISTI * WENDY * MEL & CATHY*

I have taken the last two days off (Wed & Thurs) from both walking and Curves. Today I put in 2 miles. I plan to go back into my regular routine of Curves 3x a week and walking at least 2 miles a day depending on how I am feeling now that I know what to watch for. I miss exercising, but needed to take that break. The spasms began again after I walked today, but when I took the hot shower afterwards they calmed again and now I feel fine. I guess it is just something I will have to learn to cope with - especially since I don't want to take muscle relaxers which have been offered to me. No meds if I can help it... I will if it becomes unbearable, but I am not there yet

Kristi ~ Still no word about Joe's Sleep Study. He is sleeping and looking so much better & his BP is good now that he sleeps on his side, so they may not have to do anything for him. I just want to know that his heart is okay, and I think that if anything showed up they would have called by now - don't you? So I am taking it as a good sign that they haven't called yet.

Wendy ~ It's good to see you back!

Mel ~ How have you been feeling after cutting back on the exercise a little & giving your body a rest? I am afraid to go too long before getting back into it again, you know. Then I get concerned that I will go into my old habit of not doing anything Also, I find my spirits were getting low from not exercising, so I have to do something... just not at a fast pace. I walked at 2.5 speed on the T-Mill this morning, but wanted so much to kick it up! It seems to take forever. But if I don't want the health issues I must obey the slower and longer rule (yuk!) On the bright side - I read that it burns more fat that way (I hope! I hope!)

So glad to hear that you were close to that fire... what pictures! ! It's amazing the people could get that close to take the pics (I do know about zoom lenses, but it would still be hot where they were!). Yes, it is something how when tragedy hits you see everyone care for one another - I think that's the way it should be always... shame really... ...

Did you get all the PB cleaned up

Cathy ~ Whew! Quite a start to your day girl! I am tired just reading about it

Nope! Never ever thought a Dr. would tell me that I was exercising too much But I seem to fatigue very easily and have spasms much too often. I get eye twitches all the time too - Dr. said fatigue! So I must make sure to get a good nights rest (in bed by 9:30!) so that I am able to do my workouts daily and reg. activities too. I am prone to spasms everywhere... I have had them in my legs, eyes, muscles in my arms - weird. I am taking potassium and magnesium which is suppose to help - never mind the fruit I eat. He said I am just very sensitive and must take care to get the proper rest. I also think it's from all the surgeries I have had in my abdomen (3 all together). It has to play havoc on the intestines & body after being in there so much, don't you think? It's catching up with me more and more as I get older. So I must take care, exercise and eat well now for later in my life

*~*~*

Thank you ~all~ for your thoughts, concerns and atta girls... it means the world to me and I don't feel as alone as I have in the past.
It's a safe place to come to

Have a nice weekend gals if I don't get back here till Monday...
Luvs,
SunnyD <><

AuGuSt GoAlS: 30-35 Miles Walked & 12 Times @ Curves
ApRiL MiLeS: 41.0 MaY MiLeS: 48.25 JuNe MiLeS: 20.75
JuLy MiLeS: 45.0 AuGuSt MiLeS: 19.0

JuLy CuRvEs: 10 Times AuGuSt CuRvEs: 7 Times

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
SunnyD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #94  
a whole new mel

Well the last few days have been rough... I guess the 1.5 gain had more of an effect on me then I previously thought. So I've been eating bad things. Not horribly bad... but bad all the same.

This morning I woke up... all rarin' to get back OP! So that's what I'm doing. DH has some side work to do this afternoon so when I put DD down for her nap, I'll get my strength-training in. Then tonight we'll head out for our walk. It's due to be raining all week long... but perhaps the rain will allow us to actually walk further as we won't get as hot as we would in 38C weather.

This week I'm planning to really make up for the last three days. With my birthday less than 2 weeks away, I would love to be down another 4lbs by then. I would be super dooper happy... and all ready to celebrate!

Anyways girls, I have to go help hubby serve up breakfast, but I'll type you all later. Hope you had a happy and healthy weekend!

~mel
Old 08-23-2004, 09:26 AM   #95  

Talking Morning,

Good Morning ladies ,

Today is my BIRTHDAY , and I am 30 years young . I'm at work, but I had a really, really good weekend thanks to my husband. I didn't exercise Saturday or Sunday and I really celebrated through my eating. So, this week I will really be going the extra mile. I don't reqret it, I enjoyed every morsale . I can't talk long, and I have to read up on everyones post a little later. Everyone have a blessed day!
Abirdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #96  

Smile *Happy Birthday, ABIRDEE!*

*Happy 30th Birthday... ABIRDEE!!!!!!!!!!*

I am so happy to hear that you had such a fun-filled
weekend in celebration!! You so deserve it!!

You are gonna have the best years ahead - you'll see,
because you are on the right track to great heath and well-being

*Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!*

May you have the best week!
And even better years ahead...

(((Hugs)))
SunnyD <><

Old 08-23-2004, 10:12 AM   #97  

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday dear Abirdee!

Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuu!

Hope you have a great Big 3-0 Day!

hugs,
Cathy
Old 08-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #98  

Good Morning Gang!

I did a 30 minute 2 mile WATP tape, and then 50 situps and 15 double leg lifts.

AuGuSt MiLeS = 22

Hope everybody has a BLESSED day!

hugs,
cathy
Old 08-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #99  
a whole new mel

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAYABIRDEE!

I hope you had a fantastic day... filled with lots of love, happiness and wishes come true! What did you do to celebrate your turning 30?

---------------------------------------------------

I hope the rest of you had a great weekend! And are all off to a fabulous start this week! Sounds as though Cathy sure is! <--- Isn't she always though? I'm doing better now... had a bit of a weight-loss break-down after skipping 3 consecutive days of exercising. Was really beating myself up over it. So Sunday I got back in gear and have done 8mi since then followed by two mornings of strength-training. I didn't WI lastnight but will take my measurements on Friday and will do so again next week. I'm also going to concentrate on getting more water into my system, I noticed that I've been drinking a lot of diet pops and juices recently which could very well have added to that easily gained pound and a half.

I'm really looking forward to our trip down to Vancouver next weekend, it should be a tonne of fun! I get so "ridiculous" about my birthday (count down days... hours... yes, even minutes!) so I'm esp. looking forward to this one since we'll have our friends to celebrate it with!

Anyways girls, I really hope you all have a happy and healthy day today! Take care of yourselves! Type you later...!

~mel
Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #100  

Talking

Hello ladies,

Birthdate update: My husband and I went out to a jazz club on Saturday evening and had a really nice time. On Sunday he cooked me breakfast and gave me my present, which was a Kate Spade purse with money in it. .
We went to the movies later that evening to see "Exorcist", it was pretty good. I like scary movies, but my husband dosent (he took me anyway). After the movie we went out to dinner and then home for a relaxing evening. I had a wonderful birthday and look forward to many more....

I walked 2 miles on the treadmill last evening, hope to do 3 today. Still trying to make up from the weekend.

Hope everyone has a BLESSED DAY!
Abirdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys!! I just wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone. I've been wicked busy I'm working 45 hours this week which is way more than I'm used to. and last week we had inlaws here and remodeling. I can't wait til my schedule evens out a little, so I can be here regularly. I miss you all!!

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #102  

Hey Michelle! we miss you too!

This morning, I did another 30 minute 2 mile WATP w/2lb weights, then 50 situps, and 15 double left lifts.

August Miles = 24

hope everybody has a blessed day!

hugs,
cathy
Old 08-27-2004, 12:39 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

wow 2 days and no posts where is everyone?!

Cathy you are doing so awesome girl!!

We ordered our crossbow platinum last week and it will be here on tuesday I can't wait!! I should get some awesome exercise then!!

I hope you all have a great day!!

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:06 PM   #104  
a whole new mel

Indeed, where is everyone?!

I've been doing ok... got out for 3mi lastnight and will do another 4.5 tonight. And 4.5 tomorrow night. For a total of 20mi this week.

I have to get my strength-training in today and tomorrow as well. I've decided that Sunday will be my day off from exercising.

Took my measurements today and am down another inch and a half on my waist! Yahoo! So I only have five more inches to lose there and I'll be jumpin' for joy! I guess my weight-gain was water retention afterall.

With a week left until my birthday, I'm really going to focus on staying OP! I don't mind that I'm five lbs off my goal, I'll be there soon enough.

Anyways girls, I hope you are all keeping well... and staying OP! Take care of yourselves! Hope to hear from you all soon!

~mel
Old 08-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #105  

Smile

Good afternoon *MICHELLE * MEL * CATHY & ABIRDEE*

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had one very busy week --- so much goes on in the month of August. Me... I have spent most of this week sorting, filing and cleaning this office not to mention the everyday stuff that has to be kept up. I did not go to Curves at all this week, nor have I walked till today. It was just too much for me with all that had to be done. So this coming Monday I will be back *on track* with my exercise, being careful not to over-do. I did get in 2 miles this morning (a very slow 2 miles!), but I got it in. And when I weighed myself I am still at 193 - haven't gained anything - thank the Lord. I am looking forward to getting back into exercise again - I really did miss it, but I didn't get the blues like usual being I had so much to get done. Boy, does it ever feel good getting stuff that has been on your mind and put on the back burner... done

*~*~*

Hi Michele ~ It is so good to see you stopping by... I saw the pictures that you posted on the other thread and think you look just beautiful with your hair darker. Which picture is the most resent - the avatar or the posted pics on the thread? Just wondered. You have such beautiful children and your hubby is very nice looking too

So glad to hear that you got your exercise machine... I wish I had the space in my home for those, I so envy you! In no time you are going to be a Beach Blanket Baby YOU Enjoy!!!!

How are all the home improvements coming along??

Hi Mel ~ Yes, I always have a full weekend with my hubby and our friends... we love going out together & catching up with all we did the whole week. Soon the big Geauga County Fair will be here (on your birthday weekend I see ) and my girlfriend is in charge of a 4-H group of rabbits... she had to go and get things set up this week --- so much she has to do being in charge of the group. I look forward to seeing all she has done.

have you been some busy this week! Mel!!! You should be sooooo proud of yourself You will surely make that goal by your birthday... you'll see. I will be praying for your efforts girl... you will so enjoy your trip to Vancouver!!!!! You are so deserving!

Abirdee ~ So happy to hear that you had such a nice birthday weekend... how has your week gone? Feeling okay?

Hi Cathy ~ What can I say girly... you have been so good about logging your time and exercise in and keeping this thread alive You too should be so very proud of yourself in keeping up your routine... I know I am of you!!!

*~*~*

Just this very moment the door-bell rang & got the book I ordered from Amazon.com --- titled *Eating for IBS* by Heather Van Vorous. I cannot believe all the things I was doing wrong (!) with food, no wonder I have been in such pain! She states how wrong the advice given by most Dr's is for IBS sufferers today (and anything you may have wrong with your digestive system like: Cronhn's Disease, Lactose Intolerance & Ulcerative Colitis) and how most Dr's don't even care to really look into helping you knowing there's no real cure. Just in the few days I have followed her program with the info from the net the spasms have lessened and my tummy is actually looking flat!!!! I have been looking at a bloated tummy for so many years and just never knew what to do for it... it seemed that everything made me bloated and puffy and painful. She has answered so many of my questions... I happen to find the info on Web MD in a desperate search for a remedy.

Here is the LINK if you like to see for yourselves: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

I have lived with the pain for so many years & it has been getting progressively worse limiting me in life more and more (like with my exercise), I look forward to living a more normal life again. According to Heather exercise done everyday is very good... just not jogging or running --- long and slow, just like the Dr. told me last week. It is so hard to go out with this illness --- I am always looking for the nearest bathroom I am so grateful to have a hubby that has looked out for me all these years and is so very supportive. He knows all my signals so when we go out & I must excuse myself he'll cover or add to the conversation so no one is aware of me leaving. Sometimes we have to leave early and he is always there for me... such a gift to me. I must say that God truly knew what he was doing when he gave me Joe... he knew I would need TLC Sorry to go off like that --- but I am feeling so emotional about finding something that just may solve my health problems making our lives better, if nothing else... lessen the pain I have lived for so many years. So now you all know what I will be doing tonight... reading my new book!

Take Care Gals!!!! Hope all is well with *KRISTI * LYNNE * WENDY * SHEILA * CRISTI * JANINE * COURTNEY * BRENDA & anyone else I may have missed... come back real soon!!!!

Have a Wonderful Weekend... be seeing you all on Monday!!!
Loves,
SunnyD <><

AuGuSt GoAlS: 30-35 Miles Walked & 12 Times @ Curves
ApRiL MiLeS: 41.0 MaY MiLeS: 48.25 JuNe MiLeS: 20.75
JuLy MiLeS: 45.0 AuGuSt MiLeS: 21.0

JuLy CuRvEs: 10 Times AuGuSt CuRvEs: 7 Times

*~*~*~*~*~*~*