Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 08:34 PM   #1  

Question Curves for Women

I'm in the process of checking out some of our local health clubs and was wondering if anyone has heard of/been a member of Curves for Women.

What's it like?
What are the costs?
Does it work?

Just "weighing" my options!

Last edited by LadyHLG; 03-14-2001 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:31 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Ok... here I go!

Hi LadyHLG,

I have been a member of the local Curves since November 29, 2000, when they opened here. And I absolutely love it to death. (or rather, to health!) I go every weekday that I work (usually 5 ~ but I make a minimum of 3 per week)

I have lost 9.5 lbs and 7 inches without making any major changes to my diet, except I eat a little less now, and drink much more water. So, it does work! A lot of the women that I go with have also lost inches and pounds, and we have all noticed a definite increase in muscle definition, especially in legs and arms.

It costs me $42/month Canadian with the automatic withdrawal option (It's $10 more per month if you bring in a cheque every month) A little more expensive than other gyms in my area, but totally worth it, since I actually use this one! Plus, it's totally controlled for me.. I know how long at each station and how much to do at each.

Basically, the machines are set up in a circle, alternating a machine with a recovery station. Each machine works a separate muscle area like legs, or arms, or midsection.... They use resistance, rather than weights, so it's harder to hurt yourself. You do the machine for 35 seconds, doing as many reps as you are comfortable with, then move to the recovery station, where you walk, jog, dance, whatever to keep your heartrate up. Every 8 stations or so, you are prompted to check your heartrate against a chart on the wall to make sure you are not over or under doing it. So, it's very structured, with very little thought involved on your part, except to make sure you are doing the machines properly.

So that's the story. The Curves in my town offers your first workout free, and if you don't like it, then there's not obligation. So, why not give it a shot?

If you want any more information, just ask me! I sometimes think that I'm the resident Curves expert!

Marvin
Old 03-19-2001, 10:24 AM   #3  

Default Thanks for the info

Marvin,
Thanks for the info.
It's always nice to get some opinions before jumping into something new.

7 inches!! That is so great! And a definite inspiration!

Went and checked the place out. I decided to signed up and have my first workout tomorrow.
It looks interesting enough that it might actually keep me motivated this time!
Thanks again!

LadyHLG
Old 03-19-2001, 12:53 PM   #4  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Congrats!

I'm so glad that you went and signed up!

Good luck!

Marvin
Old 03-19-2001, 05:16 PM   #5  

LadyHLG.

How much does your center charge?

Just curious if they're the same throughout the US.

Mine is $29/month if you commit to an annual contract, or $39/month if you choose to "pay-as-you-go."

I joined my local CURVES the day it opened - November 13th, and absolutely love it!

I just got my sister and niece to join this week.

The owner tells me that there are around 2000 CURVES throughout the US, now, including Hawaii and Alaska. If you travel to a town that has a CURVES, you are welcome to use the facilities. (Though we're not issued a membership card, it's just on the honor system.)

As far as I know, there is no list of locations on the Internet, but your gym owner should be able to show you a list - mine gets a new one every month or two.

Enjoy it - you're gonna love it!
Old 03-19-2001, 05:24 PM   #6  

Beth27,

My curves is the same price, $29 a month. Plus I had no starting fees because of a special they were running last week. I also paid for the entire year at once so there was a little more off. All in all it was much cheaper than the health clubs in the area. Plus I get a "good health" reimbursement from my health insurance carrier.

Nothing like getting in shape and saving some money!!

LadyHLG
Old 03-20-2001, 10:42 AM   #7  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hi all,

My Curves is $39/month (Canadian money ~ bleh!), so it's probably about the same as yours.

I think there is a listing of the locations on the curves website @ www.curvesforwomen.com If I remember correctly it's a map that you can click on the state/province you're going to, and it gives you a listing of locations. They seem to be popping up in all of the small towns here in Alberta....

Marvin
Old 03-27-2001, 05:38 PM   #8  

I joined Curves on Oct.13. I have been going a minimum of three times per week. I, unlike most, do not weigh in or measure each month because my middle is growing due to the baby.

I am very pleased with the workout I get because I do not feel like I am killing myself. Plus my doctor said most of the machines are very safe for me to do as long as I feel comfortable. I truly believe this has been keeping my blood pressure down (122/72) during this pregnancy. I also have a lot more energy than I thought I would.

I pay by the month ($39) because My DH and I were uncomfortable with a brand new business automatically withdrawing money from our account for a year.

I am sure you will enjoy the program.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:03 PM   #9  

Default First Week

I'm on my second week there and so far am enjoying it. It's amazing how fast the workout goes. I don't feel like I'm there forever. I get a nice workout, go home and still have enough of the evening left to make dinner and relax.

Going to see if maybe I can talk my sister-in-law into joining too so I have someone to go with.

Now, if I could just find a diet that was this easy...
Old 03-28-2001, 11:28 AM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hi Cassandra!

I am so glad to hear that you are going to Curves while you're pregnant! DH and I are thinking of TTC next spring, and I wondered about doing the workout while pregnant. I suppose as long as you're healthy and not overdoing it ~ it's ok!

And I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it, LadyHLG. I'm now going into my fifth month, and there is a definite lowering of that "first love" feeling, but I still enjoy going, and it works out really well for me...

Have a great one!
Closed Thread