Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #106  

ran 5 miles yesterday for the first time, was hard but I managed this

Last edited by wizeapple; 06-08-2015 at 09:52 PM.
wizeapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #107  

The c25k 25 minute run was today. I got through it! Hooray! I may not be moving much faster than most people walk, but I ran all 25 minutes. The philosophy of "it's only 3 minutes more than the last run" worked very well, so thank you for that advice NNS!

Congrats on hitting 4 miles, NNS, and 5 miles Wizeapple! That's awesome!

So does anyone have advice on how to progress after completing c25k? I'm doing the timed version and at my current pace, even once I make it to 30 minutes, I won't be completing a 5k. Probably closer to 2 miles. Do I try to run longer, or just keep doing the 30 minute runs and work on increasing the distance covered?
Chubabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #108  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Ran 1 mile last night as a warm up before strength and decided to see how fast I could run a mile. Under 9 minutes! I remember never being able to do the 10 minute mile in gym class so that felt pretty awesome

wizeapple - Wow 5 miles! Awesome!

Chubabub - Yay great job on the 25 minutes! *high five*

I'd suggest signing up for a 5K race if you're interested and then when you're done C25K, work towards getting to that distance. Ignore the clock, just try to hit that distance. Races are a really great motivator! At least, that's what I did. One day I just ditched the app, went for a run, and tried to run as far as I could. I was pretty shocked I managed a 5K that day.

You could also add in some interval training, but I'd just focus on building up to the distance if that's what you want to do.

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-11-2015 at 09:13 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #109  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I wish this thread was more active!

I ran 4.66 miles on Saturday at the park where we camped. I thought it was only a 3.6 mile loop so I was a bit disappointed when I realized I still had a mile to go! Even at 8AM it was hot as heck so I took a few breaks where I completely paused MapMyRun and mopped the sweat off myself. Otherwise, felt great to finally get some use out of the trail runners.

Getting used to running with a water bottle. Need it when it is this hot!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #110  
No Room for Negativity!

S/C/G: 200/177/125

Height: 5'2"

New member here: Looking for support and motivation! I've been trying to get into a routine of doing 60 minutes on the treadmill each morning. This was to be day 6....got dressed, got my bottle of water, put TV on so I can follow the news during my workout.....the machine won't come on.....worked perfectly yesterday morning. Contacted customer support, long story short, it's going to cost me $460 for a new console panel to fix it. At that price, I think I'm just going to shop for an inexpensive one in town. Maybe I can get a floor model or something. So, no workout...instead I ran for a bag of chips...UGGG!! So annoyed! Anyway, thanks for letting me vent here! I'm starting to feel better already and going to do some house work, then go to a few stores to price new equipment. Maybe do an exercise video tonight....and a salad for lunch...no more chips...
minnie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #111  

Did the 28 minute run for c25k today and it really didn't feel any harder than the 25 minute run. The website training plan shows 3 days of 28 minutes and then 3 days of 30 minutes (9 weeks total) but the app only has 2 days of 28 minutes and then jumps to 30 on the 3rd day (only8 weeks total). I think jumping to 30 minutes will probably be fine, and since I'm apparently going to need to run much longer than that to actually complete a 5k, the sooner I can run longer the better!

Last edited by Chubabub; 06-20-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Chubabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #112  

I had a lot of errands to run today so had to shorten my normal workout. But got 2 miles in and a good mix of weights as I can only get to the gym 2 days this week.
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 AM   #113  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I started Couch to 5K last week. I was sitting on the sofa last Sunday morning, feeling fat (but eating junk food for breakfast ) and just thought 'Enough'. SO I got up and Googled, came across Couch to 5K and then just did it. I didn't even complete the first cycle that first day! But I kept on and finished cycle 1 last week. I did not feel strong enough to move to cycle 2 just yet so I am repeating cycle 1 but already, after 4 complete runs (and the first incomplete), I can feel myself getting stronger.

I take my Greyhound with me for company.

Never thought I would consider myself a runner!!!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #114  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubabub View Post
So does anyone have advice on how to progress after completing c25k? I'm doing the timed version and at my current pace, even once I make it to 30 minutes, I won't be completing a 5k. Probably closer to 2 miles. Do I try to run longer, or just keep doing the 30 minute runs and work on increasing the distance covered?
I recommend that you work on getting to where you can run 5K, even if it's slow. Speed work is challenging for new runners. It involves running intervals, something most people don't tackle early in their running career. So after you finish C25K, work on increasing your distance, no matter how long it takes. Once you can run 5K without it being utterly exhausting, then you can work on speed.

I was a runner in my early adult years; I did 5Ks and 10Ks. Then came kids and life.... I picked it back up in my early 40s but suffered repetitive stress fractures in my tibia due to pushing myself too hard, too soon. So I switched to swimming - and then fractured two ribs. Needless to say, I had to quit exercising and then the weight piled on. But I've lost 40 pounds and having lost the weight, I feel it's safe to start exercising again. Yesterday I bought two new pairs of running shoes and plan to start C25K in the morning. To prepare, I've been walking 3-4 miles every morning for the last 6 weeks. I'm really excited! I have already found two 5Ks I want to run in November.

Last edited by HereIStand; 09-06-2015 at 09:20 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #115  
Fat, Fabulous, & Fit!

S/C/G: 352.4/325.2/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Got off my *** today...

I struggled with low motivation all day today...came home from work and didn't want to do ANYTHING. I got off my rear end though and ended up doing my best time ever at the track - 16.5 minute mile, went 2.4 miles. It's so ironic how the times that I do it when I don't want to often end up being the best work-outs ever. I wanted to quit halfway through as well but powered through.

Good job today everyonw!
mskimberlycait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #116  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I ran Day 1 of the C25K program yesterday. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, I had to run at noon, and it was 95 degrees! The second half of the run felt like death. haha. Hoping for better experiences once fall weather arrives.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #117  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I ran today... well sort of, I did W1D3 of C25K. I made it through the program once before and even ran as far as 8k but I hurt my back and quit running for a while so I'm starting again now. Unfortunately I've also gained quite a bit of weight back but hopefully it will go if I can keep running. It's all up to the back.....

Today I did 3.42km in 30 minutes.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #118  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I'm still plodding along through C25K. I've completed the first two weeks. Next week has me worried about running 3 minutes at a time. :/
Old 09-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #119  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Ran Week 3, Day 1 of C25K. I was worried about being able to run 3 minutes at a go, but decided to just go slow and that did the trick. I wasn't even overly exhausted at the end. I can do this!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #120  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Yes you can!!!

I think I'm going to repeat week 2. I just want to be better at running 1.5 minutes, I'm fine doing it the first few times but by the end it gets a bit tough.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 10-02-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote