Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

JZJ CONGRATULATIONS!

I have had an interesting week. My running companion was attacked by a bad dog. We were about 2 miles from home by road, and about 3 by trail. Her face was badly bitten, although she just screamed, and didn't try to fight back. The other dogs owner gave me his name and cell number, and Bonnie and I walked back by road, with her face all bleeding. As soon as we got home I bundled her into the van and shot off to the vet. $243 later her face is stapled back together. Poor girl.

I rang the man...and of course....he had given me a duff number.

Thankfully, although we are far from rich I have a small $500 emergency fund, so I can pay the vet, but I am cross about dog owners who don't take responsibility for their bad dogs.

This has also affected the running this week! But I did manage a good run in the hills on Sunday.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #77  

JZJ....I may be pumping you for information! I am thinking about entering this race, for next February.

http://bedrockevents.co.nz

I am very far from being fit enough to do it.....right at the end of the race it climbs 500m in 1 km.....and that is at the end of a hilly 50km trail race! However it is quite near where I live, and I have from now until February to prepare. Entries open 1st July, so I still have a bit of time to think about it.

It's a big step for this formerly obese menopausal woman.....

Auto.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #78  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Auto, that race looks awesome!! But also very hard. If it's your first marathon or ultra, it won't be an easy introduction to distance trail running. A few things that stand out on this one:
1. A decent amount of climbing as you say, especially that one steep climb. Which you will walk. (Never run up anything too steep if you can't see the end of it).
2. Only 2 aid stations. You'll be packing your own water and energy for this one, along with your first aid supplies. That also means very little opportunity for bailout. I've been knocked off a trail during a race and split my knee open, and had to hobble another 10 miles to an aid station. So, you're on your own to some degree in races like these.
3. Some challenging and technical trail, based on the photos. It looks like some steep rocky uphill/downhill, and a river crossing (wet feet = blisters; be ready!).

In summary, a hard race! There's a 10 hour cutoff time so it's very do-able; it will just require the mental stamina to deal with the challenges. You'll want to do some long run/hikes (6+ hours)) carrying everything you need to see how this feels. It does look beautiful. And you'll be so proud you did it. Even if you don't make the 3/4 distance cutoff time, you should still be incredibly proud that you gave it a shot. That's how I approach these.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your running partner, auto. Irresponsible dog owners make me angry too. I have been fortunate not to have been bitten so far, but I have had several dogs run up to me barking and looking aggressive. In many instances, the dog had to cross a busy road to get to me. Meanwhile the owner just stands there. It's bad enough that they have no regard for my safety, but you'd think they'd at least care enough about their pet not to want to see them get hit by a car.

Anyway, I hope your Bonnie feels better soon.

Did a 7 mile long run today. Still adjusting to the heat and humidity. Sure doesn't feel line spring around these parts.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #80  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Streudel I feel you on the heat and humidity. It's GROSS out! And we haven't put the AC in yet.

I have been seriously struggling to get up in the mornings lately. I did manage a 2 mile run on Saturday, but I didn't wake up until about 9AM so it was already way too hot to go much farther. My route is also entirely in the sun, no tree cover.

Tonight I'll try the HIIT workout on the treadmill again. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll lug myself out of bed before 7! I only managed 4 miles total last week. I think it doesn't help that I'm not training for anything specific right now. Time to set some personal goals.

Last edited by nonameslob; 05-18-2015 at 09:40 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #81  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Auto, that race looks awesome!! But also very hard. If it's your first marathon or ultra, it won't be an easy introduction to distance trail running. A few things that stand out on this one:
1. A decent amount of climbing as you say, especially that one steep climb. Which you will walk. (Never run up anything too steep if you can't see the end of it).
2. Only 2 aid stations. You'll be packing your own water and energy for this one, along with your first aid supplies. That also means very little opportunity for bailout. I've been knocked off a trail during a race and split my knee open, and had to hobble another 10 miles to an aid station. So, you're on your own to some degree in races like these.
3. Some challenging and technical trail, based on the photos. It looks like some steep rocky uphill/downhill, and a river crossing (wet feet = blisters; be ready!).

In summary, a hard race! There's a 10 hour cutoff time so it's very do-able; it will just require the mental stamina to deal with the challenges. You'll want to do some long run/hikes (6+ hours)) carrying everything you need to see how this feels. It does look beautiful. And you'll be so proud you did it. Even if you don't make the 3/4 distance cutoff time, you should still be incredibly proud that you gave it a shot. That's how I approach these.

Thank you Jay, I have done a flat marathon (6 hours) and a flat 50km in the park ( smidgen under 8 hours) both in 2014, but this is a whole new level. I have also done 2 shorter trail races, Mt Oxford (20km, 5 hours and dead last!) and Mt Arrowsmith (17km and 3rd over 50 woman) actually there were 8 over 50 women, but most were walking! Again though this is a whole new level. For the last 6 months I have done very little ( the result of a family tragedy) but I have started running again and am beginning to build up the distance.

On the plus side I live near the race and can practice bits of it...but not the Lee Valley section as it is private.
And I used to be a tramper in my youth before I became obese, so I am used ( albeit long in the past) to packing a bag in the wilds and being self sufficient.
And hubby is a real trail runner, has all the gear etc. he doesn't run with me as I am too slow. But he is keen for me to do this and says he will help. He will also crew for me.

Against...I am so very slow. I will need to lift my game.
I will probably be alone for much of the race. I need to be self sufficient.
No pacers. Hubby cannot run back out along track to meet me.
It would be really embarrassing to miss the cutoff.

I think I will give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Entries open July 1st.

Auto
Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #82  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Streudel I feel you on the heat and humidity. It's GROSS out! And we haven't put the AC in yet.

and here it is so cold in the mornings now.......
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #83  

7km, beach and estuary. Easy pace
Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #84  
Call me NNS!

2.4 mile HIIT last night. Really enjoying it! I'm surprised how fun it is to sprint

I mapped out my workouts for the week. Hopefully that will motivate me to get up early a few mornings this week, since I've been failing at that recently.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #85  

NNS how are the early mornings going?

Wednesday. 7 km beach and estuary.
Thursday, rest day. Beach walk with Bonnie (who is feeling a bit better, but who still has stitches in her face)

Last edited by autodidact; 05-20-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #86  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
Thank you Jay, I have done a flat marathon (6 hours) and a flat 50km in the park ( smidgen under 8 hours) both in 2014, but this is a whole new level. I have also done 2 shorter trail races, Mt Oxford (20km, 5 hours and dead last!) and Mt Arrowsmith (17km and 3rd over 50 woman) actually there were 8 over 50 women, but most were walking! Again though this is a whole new level. For the last 6 months I have done very little ( the result of a family tragedy) but I have started running again and am beginning to build up the distance.

On the plus side I live near the race and can practice bits of it...but not the Lee Valley section as it is private.
And I used to be a tramper in my youth before I became obese, so I am used ( albeit long in the past) to packing a bag in the wilds and being self sufficient.
And hubby is a real trail runner, has all the gear etc. he doesn't run with me as I am too slow. But he is keen for me to do this and says he will help. He will also crew for me.

Against...I am so very slow. I will need to lift my game.
I will probably be alone for much of the race. I need to be self sufficient.
No pacers. Hubby cannot run back out along track to meet me.
It would be really embarrassing to miss the cutoff.

I think I will give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Entries open July 1st.

Auto
OK, so you've got a lot going for you: you know the distance and how to train and pace it (at least on the flats); you can train the same or similar hills; you're an experienced outdoorswoman; and you've got great support in your DH for training and crewing. You're golden!

There's really nothing embarrassing about missing a cutoff. I've seen a guy, who I knew WON a major 100-mile ultra earlier in the year, miss a cutoff time and bail completely in another race (I was working aid stations). Every race is different. You're not doing this because you are absolutely certain you can finish it within the time limit; you're doing it because you're NOT certain but you think you can and you want to try.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #87  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Trail run at 6:30a this morning... Cool and very breezy... AND GORGEOUS OUT!!! Had the the whole trail to myself... Did 6 mi with lots of walk breaks and it took over an hour, but I don't care... Definitely put my head in a better space for the rest of the day...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #88  
Call me NNS!

autodidact - The early mornings are NOT happening. But I've managed evenings instead. Yesterday was sooo nice out at around 6PM that it wasn't an issue. Supposed to rain tonight so I'll run on the treadmill.

The tree pollen is awful right now. I'm taking allergy meds 2x/day! However, somehow I powered through the runny nose yesterday. I think the HIIT is really making a difference. My pace for my 2 mile run is down by almost 30 sec/mile in just two weeks.

Finally bought some new capris to run in. My other ones were too loose. Nothing worse than having to pull your pants up every 30 seconds...
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #89  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

On my way grocery shopping this morning I decided to pull off at a trailhead that I pass on the way since I was wearing running shorts and sneakers and RUN 3 miles as fast as could... Felt GREAT!!! And it left me surprisingly energized... I think I may just have a new routine to liven up my little trips into town up here in the country this summer...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 AM   #90  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
OK, so you've got a lot going for you: you know the distance and how to train and pace it (at least on the flats); you can train the same or similar hills; you're an experienced outdoorswoman; and you've got great support in your DH for training and crewing. You're golden!

Thank you Jay...an experienced outdoors woman! How cool does that sound!

You should have seen me after the first quake, lying under a table like a beached whale, unable to help, being a big fat liability. That was an eye opener and no mistake. Life changing moment no 1. That started me dieting.

I started running...life changing moment no 2...after a particularly big quake centered more or less under our house and I was running for my son, who was in the next street, and even fueled with adrenaline, and terrified for my child I COULD NOT MAKE IT 100 YARDS TO THE CORNER.

I ran today. Hubby took me out on the trails, to see how much I had to do if I was going to do Bedrock. We did over 3 hours and I am shattered. Hubby says things are not too bad and he reckons I will be able to do it...if I train hard! I discovered something though...I am faster than him downhill...not by much but I am! Ha!

Auto.