Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #16  
Less of a Better Me

S/C/G: 207.4/ticker/146

Height: 5'4"

misspixie's suggestion is a good one.

If you don't like walking (I never did until I started walking with someone), then maybe try the elliptical again. Go read an article about using an elliptical and take it slowly. If you can do only do 5 minutes then do 5 minutes. Work your way up. Or do the treadmill (listen to music maybe while doing it). Is there any exercise bike? You could try that. But, start really slowly.

If you haven't exercised before, you might want to check with your doctor to see what suggestions the doctor would have based upon your physical condition. (For example, I can't run due to a knee problem and so on)
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:40 AM   #17  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Google is your friend here. Look up "beginner gym workout"...you'll find lots of suggestions. It seems like you really need guidance, so maybe a pre-defined plan would work well for you. Luckily, lots of those are available for free. Here's one: http://exercise.about.com/od/exercis...artweekone.htm

There are lots of others, though. Just Google "Beginning Exercise Plan".

Personally, I like a mix of strength training (the weight machines you used) and cardio (like an elliptical, treadmill, or even just walking).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #18  

ghostgirl, good for you for working out at the gym for 2 hrs. I work out to leslie sansone walking dvds.
ciecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #19  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

What I would suggest is start simple. I first started in 2010 at 312 pounds. I started at home doing crunches, leg lifts and squats. I love dancing so I found some dance videos on YouTube. When I built up some stamina I bought a Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video...also on YouTube now. It took me about two weeks to get to where I could keep up with her but that's ok. Your body will adapt faster than you think. I stayed with level one more than thirty days and saw improvements in my body relatively quick. Especially in inches lost. I had a series of unfortunate events happen in my life and gained about 60 of the 100 back that I lost. I have decided to ge back at it and I started slowly at home. Coming up on week two and all I have done is toning exercises and walking. Walking at the mall is my thing. I do squats, crunches, leg lifts, wall push ups and 10 second planks. I also walked a mile two days last week. There have been some noticeable differences. I don't weigh myself because that was one of the things that derailed me. I measure my body weekly and a quarter of an inch off my hips from week to week keeps me going. If I can measure my body in the trouble spots and come up with at least an inch total..it's a win to me. Progress in small bits all add to the bottom line in your journey.

Roll up your sleeves and do what works for you. There is something that will work. Just don't give up or quit.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #20  

have to agree with jigglefree. you need to do what works best for you and your schedule.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #21  

Height: 5'8

i dont really like being told im sad about my weight but what ever. and im 19, i say lol a lot and dont even realize it. but i feel like just doing the at home stuff isnt going to do anything, doing 50 crunches or what ever isnt going to be as good as weight training and using multiple types of muscles.
I really like that fitocracy website! thank you! I walk an hour a day as is, so i dont know why ide cut back lol
i hate the bikes lol my buts too big and it hurts XD

Last edited by ghostgirl811; 01-15-2015 at 07:16 PM.
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #22  

you are doing great with your walking! do you use a pedometer? you might want to get one if you don't use one already.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #23  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgirl811 View Post
i dont really like being told im sad about my weight but what ever. and im 19, i say lol a lot and dont even realize it. but i feel like just doing the at home stuff isnt going to do anything, doing 50 crunches or what ever isnt going to be as good as weight training and using multiple types of muscles.
I really like that fitocracy website! thank you! I walk an hour a day as is, so i dont know why ide cut back lol
i hate the bikes lol my buts too big and it hurts XD
if you get a cushioned cover to put over the bike seats, it will make a world of difference....i don't bike at the gym but i bike outside and will always need a cushioned seat, not just because of my weight but because of lower back issues and the likelihood that i broke my tailbone once when little

and you may never like biking...i dont at the gym AT ALL but i love to bike outside....but that's really helped me
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #24  

Height: 5'8

idk what a pedometer is lol i walk the treadmill though.

i think ide be too embarrased to take a cushion lol im in college and my apartment is all college kids and all the guys in the gym are super ripped lol
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #25  

a pedometer keeps track of the number of steps you take during the day.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #26  
One Day at a Time!

I suggest you take some time and jump on you tube. Watch videos on how to use free weights or certain machines. Also, don't be afraid to ask someone.
ryanbrowning115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #27  

youtube does have many good exercise videos.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #28  
One Day at a Time!

It can be tough when you are first getting started. What I recommend is you search you tube for some great exercises or get a trainer for a couple sessions to familiarize yourself with the gym. Or ask a friend to go with you and show you a couple things.
ryanbrowning115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 250/221.1/150

Height: 5'3

Jumping in to say...I hear you. It can be really intimidating to work out in front of people who obviously know what they are doing.

And don't knock doing work outs at home. Us plus sized girls have an advantage when working out with our own body weight. We're heavy so we have to get stronger. As for the walking....if you are walking an hour already here's some ways to make it a better work out. Try to walk a little bit faster than you are used to. The farther you go in that hour the more calories you will have burned. The goal for walking when I am working out is that I walk fast enough that I can feel my heart beating.

Also...I've been using the app bodbot. I really like it as it gives me a work out plan based on what I want and it gives me videos on how to do certain stuff.
Seana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #30  

I wear an Omron pedometer. keeps track of both regular and aerobic steps!