Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 05:00 PM   #31  

Hi Torty!

This week begins a three-week "hard" push on my training schedule, culminating in my 20-mile run. I'm definitely starting to finally "feel" it and I actually cut back on my AM intervals and weightlifting this morning because I was a bit tired and sore.

So far, I've been very lucky and I've yet to encounter a blister. Today's my first day running with a bug bite on my ankle bone, though, that I'm sure my shoes are going to hit. I've greased it up with triple antibiotic and put a bandaid on it...we'll see how it goes.

Hydration: I resorted to buying a lumbar-pack type hydration system and used it for the first time this weekend on an 8 miler. So far, I like it. I didn't notice the extra weight much at all, but then, just a few short months ago I was running with a LOT of extra weight on my body (but it was all me!).

This bag set up is such that I can carry my liquids, power gel, CDs and clip on my CD player. Also, for my October 12 marathon (Chicago), I think I'll be able to fit a lightweight polar fleece or long-sleeve top in it if it's cold first thing in the morning but warm later in the day.

Keep us up to date on your progress and feel free to email me if you'd like to talk more about training!

Good luck,

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com
lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT you know what
Old 08-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #32  

Thanks Lynne,
So one of those "camel packs" for water etc?? I will check some out this weekend at the local sporting goods stores. I think walkers may blister even more as we have more road time (6+ hrs) Good luck with your bug bite- that is a crummy spot cuz not much flesh. Are you feeling good mentally? I am also considering cutting back on weight training which I actually only do with a trainer 2x week. Just think maybe need total focus on the close at hand issue. Thanks for your input!!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #33  

Hi Torty!

It is one of those camel back type things, but it's not that brand. I got it pretty cheaply at Target. It doesn't leak, the bite tube works like a dream...so far, so good.

I'm hanging in there mentally right now. How about you? Every once in awhile when I think that I have a 20 miler in just 2 1/2 weeks, it kind of freaks me out. And I'm *always* very nervous before one of my long runs and I have NO idea why! So far I haven't had any problems with them and yet I get very nervous before hand.

On the mental thing, I just keep telling myself I cannot fail with a plan. I have a step-by-step training plan. Each day, I do exactly what the The Plan tells me to do. So come race day, I'm there! I'll be ready!

Will your marathon even allow your 12-year-old to do it? I noticed that for Chicago, you must be 16 even if you have parental permission. But what an accomplishment if he does! I remember when I was about 13, the March of Dimes Walk-A-Thons back then were 20 milers...not short little 8 milers like they are now. I didn't do any training for it, but I did the darn thing all the way to the end. (Paid for it dearly for a week afterward with sore muscles, though!)

Never underestimate the determination of a pre-teen.

Lynne
Old 08-21-2003, 08:59 PM   #34  

Oh my Lynne!!! I did the same thing at 13- a Los Angeles Free Clinic fund raiser of 25 miles - no training plus I was anorexic so of course did not eat any of the snacks or drink anything but water- but with that teen resolve I did the thing & sported some lovely blisters.

You are great with the plan and I do believe they work> Unfortunately I fell off-plan and so I am scrambling in the last weeks. Goals are 13 mile on Aug 13, 20 miles Aug 20 (just worked out that way) and stair climb on Oct 4 at Library Tower in LA- approx 70+ stories. So basically a challenge per weekend preceeding and then back off last week. I checked with the organizers early on and they do allow a 12 year old to enter so I am good on that - just need to make sure he is mentally ready since to get part way and not finish would be awful.

You sound up-beat on the mental side. I too get the pre-day frights and even when I feel good my tummy is screaming. I am more worried cuz I have NOT prepped correctly but I hve to go for my overall where I am at thing. Will check my fave "Target" this weekend for the water pack. Great to get your input. HEY LURKERS!!!!! How are you all doing?????????????/
Closed Thread