Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #16  
SuperWoman

S/C/G: 194/157.5/145

Height: 5'9"

Hey Lynne,
I'm following the same program as you are. I found it in a book, too. The one at runnersworld.com does one more repeat than the one in the book does. The book has me running/walking for a total of 30 mins. Any hoo, what week are you on?
Old 07-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #17  

Hi Lori!

I'm on week 5 of the 16-week program found at http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1...56-633,FF.html

(So that means I did 3 easy miles today.

Which marathon are you training for?

GREAT job on the weight loss!!!

Lynne
Old 07-24-2003, 04:11 PM   #18  

Default Music to run by

Do you run with music? If so, what do you listen to? What songs would be on your ultimate running mix?

I'm trying to build one right now, and my hubby keeps (patiently) burning new mix CDs from our CD collection. I sit at work, have a brainstorm that something would be PERFECT to run to, then find out it's not.

I'm also trying to time songs to figure out what pace their beat puts me at (I figured it would be a great way to keep myself on pace).

So far, the songs I do like don't all have the same pace, so the pace thing isn't working out...but for right now, I'm thinking:

Runnin' down a dream, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Fighter, Christina Aguilera
I know I can, Nas
Working Man, Rush

What do you run to?

Lynne
Old 07-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #19  

I've only run with music a few times.

I have an mp3 player that my SO and I share. I find that the earpieces aren't comfortable in my ears for a long run. So that far outweighs the fun of running with song.

I like it in races when I run by bands or radios - it helps perk me up, but otherwise no music for me. My short runs are short enough that I can "solve the world's (or my own) problems" in my head, and then long runs are done with groups, so we usually talk.

If I could get someone to run alongside me with a collection of my favorite upbeat tunes, well, then, I'd be happy to sit down and compose a list...
Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #20  
SuperWoman

Hi Lynne,
I'm on week 3, just started it today actually. I'm not training for a marathon, just to become a better runner. Or maybe a runner, period. I don't listen to music when I run, usually. Most of the time I watch movies. It keeps my focus diverted so I'm not constantly looking at the timer. One day I would like to do a triathlon, like the danskin one, but I have a ways to go!! Good luck to you!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:26 PM   #21  
SuperWoman

While watching the lastest 007 movie, I realized that Madonna's Die Another Die was pretty good to run to!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 PM   #22  

I had to chuckle, Lori, because I did a double take when you said you watch movies while you run.

Obviously you're on a treadmill.

Or else you have some really cool cyberhelmet that broadcasts movies in front of your face.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:38 AM   #23  
SuperWoman

scoutruns,
lol, i wish i had something that advanced!!! But then I would probably get hit by a car or something!! I bought a treadmill to get back into shape. I have a 23 month old and a 6 month old and I live in a very hilly neighborhood in Germany. I would discouraged pretty quickly by those hills if I tried to run them, especially while pushing about 50 lbs worth of children.
What kind of races have you run?

Last edited by alsbttrfly; 07-30-2003 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:45 AM   #24  
SuperWoman

Lynne,
I just realized that you and I are doing different running programs. I'm doing the beginner program http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1...78-2-2,00.html and you're doing the marathon beginner's program.
I was wondering why you ran 3 easy miles. 3 miles wouldn't feel so easy to me!! What marathon are you training for?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #25  

Hi Lori!

I'm training for the Chicago Marathon on October 12.

Do you have a race goal in mind yet? When my husband and I first started running, we used the Runner's World beginner's plan, too, and then made a goal of a Race for the Cure 5K and followed their 5K plan.

Lynne
Old 07-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #26  

I started out with 5Ks too.

I remember the first 10K that I did, because we showed up intending to run a 5K. It turns out that the 3 miler was a nature walk with someone pointing out flora and fauna. So we decided to do the 10K. Very, very slowly.

Then for some reason I decided a half marathon would be a kick. The first one I ran was horrible. I'd run 10 miles once, and 8-9 once or twice. So I was certainly not prepared for 13.1. And yet, somehow, I managed to get beyond that and try again.

Probably the coolest race I've ever done was Hood to Coast. That's a 12 person relay race in Oregon. Each person runs 3 legs of the race, for a total of about 12-15 miles. It runs continuously, which means that your runs could be at all hours of the day. My first leg was at 3-4 in the afternoon, the second was at 4 in the morning (BEST. RUN. EVER!) and the last was at 1 the next afternoon. As they say in the race "the third leg is always the hardest". And they ain't joking.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #27  

Default A new blog

Today I started week 7 of my 15-week marathon training plan. I've decided to keep a journal about my training (and other stuff going on in my life, as needed).

I can't guarantee it will be witty or pithy or wise, but I promise to try to minimize the number of typos I make. And I promise to try to update it at least once daily, even if it's only to say I ran (or I didn't).

If you're interested, visit it http://lynned.pitas.com/

If you like it, share it with others!

Lynne
Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 AM   #28  

I just skimmed through the past couple of weeks you've got there. Looks kind of entertaining!

I know what you mean about the Timex Body Link. I've got the GPS unit, which I've had since it first came out. Now that they've got the HRM, they've added some new features to the watch.

Now, I've never used a HRM, and really don't intend to start, so I don't care about that, but the watch! One running pal got the new one and has mentioned some new display options that my watch doesn't have.

Wah!!!

And they say running is an inexpensive sport.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #29  

I wonder if a Polar HRM chest strap would work with the Timex GPS watch set up...so I could just buy that one instead of having to buy the one that does all there? (Because it would be very cool to have all three functions -- time, distance, and HRM -- all on one watch but I just bristle at the price!)

Good running shoes, orthotics, good socks, workout wear in technical fabrics -- I'm with you. Running is *not* a cheap sport! But I guess it's less than triathlon or adventure racing.

Lynne
Old 08-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #30  

Hi all!

I'm a "marathon walker" not a runner- though I did run some of the miles on my last one to make sure I was hitting my timing marks - the worst thing about walking is that in large cities they have to take the course down pretty quickly, and you don't want to be left with no course at mile 20 after all that effort!!! I am currently registered for the Long beach (California) Marathon on October 12. I've done it twice before. My 12 year old son wants to do it with me, but we are still discussing the mental commitment. Only 7-1/2 weeks to go, how are all you other October marathoners feeling about your prep? Are any of you on the vaseline bandwagon for blister/rubbing prevention? Also interested in hydration tips. By the time a walker gets to the water stands they are about gone, and you don't want to carry too much extra baggage. Really hoping that t he heat we are having now will not continue into October- the race is along the waterfront but the heat on asphalt adds such a handicap! Would loveto hear from other marathon walkers, plus any of you runners (some day...)
Closed Thread